Ric's new paint 'n powder coated wheels...

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Ric

Ric's new paint 'n powder coated wheels...

Post by Ric »

Thought I'd lay a few photos of my scooter, since my Cold winter project began. Hail Damage took out that Candy Root-beer Brown... plus it did more damage to the ABS parts, like cracks in the fairing, seat pan, and rear fender... they weren't healing themselves...

So I took a step back into the early Seventies once again, to cause my bike to be black... Rims too...

They did pretty good work, enough to satisfy me! But I had my own myseries putting this all back together... LOL... Here's a few pics.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
SQ4MN

Re: Ric's new paint 'n powder coated wheels...

Post by SQ4MN »

Looks great Rick, its amazing what some new paint will do for a bike. Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
AR

Post by AR »

Ric wrote:Candy Root-beer Brown...
Ric, it was DDP man we just didnt have the heart to tell ya. :D Awesome choice, black & chrome rules.

Maybe a new black & chrome & sweety oozing with a chocolate sig pic is required ?
KISS

Post by KISS »

Ric,black IS beautiful! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Looks great Ric...... Nothing like new paint to bring in spring time. Definately COOL.....
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Ric,
that's a damn good looking Boss Hoss. Now I like it even more, with the black wheels. Amazing what a difference compared to chrome or aluminum - looks fantastic!!!

Olaf
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

Ric, That really looks nice!...and the best part...you'll have to get sweetie back on the bike for some updated photos!!!! :twisted:
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Black is allways a nice color when it goes together with lots of crome :mrgreen:

Not to forget together with that often mentioned sweetie, black surely looks great. I 'd say all colors look great with her... :twisted:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Badger

Post by Badger »

Great job Rick.....Nothing beats Black&Chrome and a good idea on the wheels..Nice!!

Badger dave
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric...looks so different....how about blacked out rotors on the inside only????just a thought but it looks like a new bike...great job!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Ric

Post by Ric »

Funny you mentioned that Barry... I was thinking of the inner part of the rotors being 'anodized' black, rather than powder coated. so it has a black chrome look to it.

I realize it's a departure from the bike you had when it was in your hands. And I kept the radiator cowling stock Root beer... Because I DID like that color, but thought I'd see what this painter could do. I got a 'smokin' deal!!! and I told him that he best do a good job, because all of the V8 world will see and decide for themselves. and he did good.

You were right from the day we talked... that 'beer bottle brown' color grew on me. That's why I stressed over the new paint color. I spoke to 30 people about it... and just threw it into the wind... I can always go back after black... LOL...

But just a thought... I was CERTAINLY going to powder coat the wheels black anyway... how do you think it would have looked with the Root beer paint?

Ok... I'll admit this to the public, and mostly to you... I was a little MORE than worried of how YOU thought of the change. I know it's my bike now, and you suggested I give the original paint a bit of time to 'grow on me. And I did... and it did... And like many who have come to know the bike... will also miss the 'old look'...

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric....I did like the rootbeer but I really do like what the finished product is now.

I am having a hard time selling this 2008 SB...I have never owned a Hoss for that long...I was thinking that the color was holding back the sale and was tossing around the idea of new paint.
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

The brighter colors are usually a more close personal taste to some. Like people like the Yellow and red Ferraris, and Lambourghinis... and such. But I'm getting some pretty rave reviews on my bike, maybe more so - from people who never saw it Root Beer.... a little more.

I know it's not cheap in time/labour, and cost of a painter... so I'd take care to maybe poll a few people on what colors they'd like to see on such a bike.

the down side of picking a 'unique' paint scheme is and could be just like you say. They love the bike, but not the color. And I can attest that it's a winter project to strip off the tins, and repaint. But for a dealer, it's likely not that bad, as every bike comes to you unpainted if ordered from Factory, I suspect.

If you did repaint... why not try a basic color, like Blue, or even black with red lettering... If it's a young guy looking at the bike, he'll get by with those colors... if it's an older person buying... they'll likely have a color in mind for later.

I'm guessing that many people think the price of the bike is because it's painted with radical colors, that much of the cost is in the paint. Take that cartoon character bike... the sales tag suggested that the paint scheme cost 5 to 6 grand or more... And if they don't care for the paint... might balk at paying the cost of the whole bike...

I may be just babbling on the point... maybe it would have been easier for me to just do a cartoon of my own.... LOL

Another thought occured to me... you notice that many boss hoss bikes paint is severely radical, and factory Harleys aren't so much... They come up with a clever yet simple paint scheme, and you'll see hundreds of them even in your own town.... Just a thought.

Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Looks great in Henry Ford's finest Ric!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric wrote:The brighter colors are usually a more close personal taste to some. Like people like the Yellow and red Ferraris, and Lambourghinis... and such. But I'm getting some pretty rave reviews on my bike, maybe more so - from people who never saw it Root Beer.... a little more.

I know it's not cheap in time/labour, and cost of a painter... so I'd take care to maybe poll a few people on what colors they'd like to see on such a bike.

the down side of picking a 'unique' paint scheme is and could be just like you say. They love the bike, but not the color. And I can attest that it's a winter project to strip off the tins, and repaint. But for a dealer, it's likely not that bad, as every bike comes to you unpainted if ordered from Factory, I suspect.

If you did repaint... why not try a basic color, like Blue, or even black with red lettering... If it's a young guy looking at the bike, he'll get by with those colors... if it's an older person buying... they'll likely have a color in mind for later.

I'm guessing that many people think the price of the bike is because it's painted with radical colors, that much of the cost is in the paint. Take that cartoon character bike... the sales tag suggested that the paint scheme cost 5 to 6 grand or more... And if they don't care for the paint... might balk at paying the cost of the whole bike...

I may be just babbling on the point... maybe it would have been easier for me to just do a cartoon of my own.... LOL

Another thought occured to me... you notice that many boss hoss bikes paint is severely radical, and factory Harleys aren't so much... They come up with a clever yet simple paint scheme, and you'll see hundreds of them even in your own town.... Just a thought.
Ric...very astute observations for sure...food for thought....

This is the very first bike I have bought new with a paint job and the hardest to sell..hmmmmm??
CanuckHoss