Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
zz4

USA

Post by zz4 »

[img]
boss hoss history.jpg
[/img]
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: USA

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Zap,

Thanks for the post, I have not seen that one before.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
zz4

Post by zz4 »

Success Story

Monte Warne
Founder and President
Boss Hoss Cycles, INC.

Back in 1963, when Monte Warne was just nine years old, he had an idea that only a nine year old boy could have. It wasn’t until years later, 1990 to be exact, that Monte’s idea didn’t seem so “nine” anymore as he sat back and admired his first custom built motorcycle. This was no ordinary motorcycle. This motorcycle was straddling a shiny, chrome V-8 engine that was larger than the bike itself. A term like torque didn’t normally fit in a biker’s world, but in Monte’s it did. It indeed was a unique machine that has a great story and a lot of potential…

Monte Warne graduated from Riggs High School of Pierre, SD in 1973. That fall, Monte found himself pulling up to the doors of Lake Area Tech in his 1963 Army Green Plymouth Valiant and enrolled in the Aviation Maintenance Technology program. Monte had many dreams about what he’d be doing some day, but when graduating in 1975 from Lake Area Tech, his dream took him across the tarmac from the Aviation Maintenance program to Lake City Aviation where he, as an airframe and power plant technician, rebuilt airplanes for a local pilot. In 1976, after receiving a commercial pilot’s license, Monte went to work for a fixed base operation at Watertown. Luck would have it that the business caught on fire and burned to the ground. Monte found himself with no tools, no business and no job. He resorted to building grain elevators for a living but just couldn’t shake that aviation “bug” so Monte pursued another one of his ambitions which was to become a crop duster. This time he landed in Tennessee at Greenhill Flying Service. Shortly after his arrival, the owner of the company passed away from injuries he received in an automobile accident. Once again, Monte was without work. Perseverance and hard-work are two words that go hand-in-hand when talking about Monte Warne. This set back was not going to stop him from doing what he loved. He purchased the company from the owner’s widow and ran the crop dusting service for twenty years.

Monte got married in 1985 and settled in Dyersburg, Tennessee. In 1996, he sold his crop-dusting business, but during the twenty years of operating the company, Monte dabbled in a lot of different self-owned businesses. He also loved to race stock cars, where his passion for big engines and speed were evident. He even purchased sixty acres in Dyersburg and built a 3/8 mile track that is still hosting races today.

In 1990, Monte had this nagging feeling that life would not be complete unless he at least attempted his “nine year old idea”. He stopped racing, took the engine out of his stock car, and used that engine to build his first bike. He created his first Chevy V-8 powered motorcycle in a little make-shift shop. Monte was the first to actually design a V-8 powered motorcycle that had a traditional cruiser motorcycle style, look and feel. This was accomplished by his unique approach to the motorcycle’s single speed (one gear) transmission design. The right angle drive transmission allowed the length of the bike to be kept to a minimum and the engine-mounting inline with the frame made for a well-balanced design that is unequaled by any other V-8 powered motorcycle.

The critics lined up waiting to disprove his dream, but Monte knew that perseverance and hard-work would pay off. It’s not without saying that Monte didn’t have a few issues he needed to deal with such as too much torque and a drive shaft that didn’t quite fit. It took him six months and everything he learned in aviation maintenance from physics and aerodynamics to sheet metal and body work, but Monte completed his dream. And then he was ready to take another chance in life and reveal his idea to the harshest of critics, motorcycle enthusiasts! Monte entered his new 1,200 pound, V-8 motorcycle in a bike show in Cincinnati. That was the event that changed Monte’s life forever. His bike won the People’s Choice Award. He immediately went back to his shop and built another bike – one to show and now one to sell.

In March of 1991, Monte and his bikes headed for the grand daddy of all shows - Daytona Bike Week. Monte comments, “People loved it! The bike got a lot of attention. It was so fun to drive around the streets of Daytona because everyone would gather around to watch and look.” His bike drew so much attention that even a Daytona Cycle World promoter decided to take some photos for the well-known bike magazine.

Shortly after Daytona, Monte got his big break. A businessman from Japan, by the nickname of “Kagi,” purchased the rights, for $48,000 to sell Boss Hoss Cycles in the entire country of Japan, including the right to import products. Monte started his company with that money and purchased a building for Boss Hoss Cycles, Inc., to call home.

When trying to get his company off the ground, Monte experienced a few peaks and valleys. But again, his motivation would not let these things stop him from making his idea become a reality and Boss Hoss Cycles, Inc. has become an international company selling its bikes around the world. Engines for the bikes are purchased from General Motors and other parts are subcontracted. The product line has grown from the conventional two-wheeled motorcycle to include three-wheeled vehicles commonly referred to as trikes. Monte, who is the Founder and President of Boss Hoss Cycles, Inc., had a strong desire to stay busy in the research and development part of the company. He has hired a CEO and CFO to run the daily operations. Monte comments, “I would much rather be the person coming up with the ideas and implementing them. I know that I need to stick with where my strengths lie.”

Although Monte is not currently working in the aviation maintenance field, he attributes his success to Lake Area Tech and the time he spent there. “My time at Lake Area Tech was valuable. I not only learned a lot about airframes and powerplants, but also about dedication and spirit. I’ve been fortunate enough to apply that to every career adventure I’ve taken. I can easily say that Lake Area Tech gave me the tools I needed to experience several life-changing events.”

Monte’s “nine year old idea” became a reality. His humble beginnings have landed him a growing international business. Boss Hoss bikes, trikes, shows, apparel, a magazine, and much, much more are all the result of a little boy who had an idea and never let it go.

For more information on Boss Hoss Cycles, Inc. and Monte Warne go to http://www.bosshoss.com
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Zap,

Thanks for the additional information,, even if it did take me awhile to find this thread again. Some really informative info. I have told alot,,,, before i saw a BH i heard about em and i thought "why in the heck would anyone want something like that?" well it wasn't long after that I laid eyes on a Boss Hoss and then i went riding with 5 of em and i was on my HD, and made me feel like i was on a Moped. One asked "Do you want to ride it?" I said yes, but it will be mine when i do ride it ! Seven years later, drove to Lima Ohio and hauled my bike home. Got it home after 1500 miles one way with it on my trailer and i took my first ride on a Boss Hoss, now i am working on the funds for my better half a trike. There is no way to describe the feeling, but the best smiles per mile and most adrenaline producing bike i have ever rode. Thanks again for the time you took to post the above article

Darryl
Darryl Campbell