genuine bad ass

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
hogv8

Re: genuine bad ass

Post by hogv8 »

What happened to the law that says the handlebars/grips can not be higher than 18" from the lowest area of the seat ??

Jack
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Handlebar height laws may vary from state to state. In CA it's, or at least it used to be, no higher than shoulder height.
I had a discussion, on another board, with an "expert" who claimed that my bike, with it's shoulder high bars is basically a death trap. He said that I have limited control, that the wind would yank me off the bike, etc., etc. I don't know much about aerodynamics, but I do know that if I stand with my arms at my side, and then raise them over my head, I present exactly the same frontal area in both positions. As to his assertion about control, my bars feel very natural, it is a straight shot from my shoulders to my hands so I can focus more body weight/strength to the bars. I question putting shorty drag bars on a 12 hundred pound bike, but everyone who has them, loves them.
Back to the Victory. It is ugly beyond words. There are no proportions, the forks look straight up and down, the rear fender doesn't cut it. Enough with the flat black already. That should have played out five years ago. At least the rims aren't red
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

If I owned stock in Victory I would sell it all tomorrow.
That fucking thing is just plain fugly!

....Johnston, Iowa
AR

Post by AR »

(.)<
Attachments
Japper.JPG
parts_of_a_parachute3.jpg
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I love my drag bars but the key is to buy the widest drag bars available . My drag bars measure about 34" + from grip end to grip end . Plenty of leverage . Of course you need the correct height and pullback to fit your size but I wouldn't run anything else . Ape hanger on any bike spell potential disaster IMHO.

Jack
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

34 inches wide with pullback risers? The net effect is probably the same as medium rise westerns. Where are your hands, in relationship to your shoulders, when you're riding?
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

My Drag bars are Buffalo Brand T bars , 1 1/4" dia . , 10" high , 6" pullback , 31" wide . I run Karyakan Iso grips that that are relatively long also with the end caps = 34" from end to end . As far as where my hands are in relation to shoulders I would say about the same as Olafs are in his picture above . If I were to replace mine however I would go with the 1 1/2" dia. bars . The Boss is bulky enough that the 1 1/2" bars wouldn't look out of proportion .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

My handlebar is a Tolemar "Fat" bar, Knuckle style. 1.5" Diameter. I love it, but there are not much 1.5" risers available - at least not much nice ones and not much choice in height. So I got to machine my own. The risers in the picture above were too low for my new tank because they interfere with the air scoop. I had to machine new ones, 2" taller, which also give me a much more upright position and a more comfortable ride. This is my handlebar:
http://www.customchrome.net/icatalog/Pr ... sku=600708

Jack, I like the looks of your bars, also. They look very unique. I have never seen them at a Boss Hoss over here in Europe.

Olaf