Could've been UGLY!!

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Grand Canard

Could've been UGLY!!

Post by Grand Canard »

I went riding today but didn't ride crazy fast like usual, was just chilling enjoying the mild weather and the ride. I stopped at a friends business for a quick visit and as leaving I pulled onto the street it happened! The bolt holding one of my risers to the triple tree gave-up, sheered in half leaving me in the middle of the road and unable to steer. I'm so glad was only going one mph versus 140mph!!

The 1/2" bolt is steel, not SS, allen head has stamp appears to be “A574”. The only thing I can figure is years of metal fatigue from very slight play at this joint is the culprit since that is where it sheared-off/cracked in half.

The gods were smiling on me today; I'm going to start changing these 2 bolts annually now w/ grade 8 bolts.
Be warned, take heed.

I finally learned how to post pics on this site!!
Attachments
Handlebars.jpg

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Elvis

Re: Could've been UGLY!!

Post by Elvis »

Glad you were going slow, and it's a pretty easy fix.
Some cruddy weather down here for your month home.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

That sucks, glad your OK. Did the bolt break off in the bars? What did the other side look like, any bending or stretching by looking at it? I knew a guy that lost his bars going down the road (not a Boss Hoss) and his story didn't end as well. :(
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Did the bolt break off in the bars? What did the other side look like, any bending or stretching by looking at it?
It broke flush, exactly at the location/gap where the bars connect to the riser.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
ElsV8

Post by ElsV8 »

Yes, the Gods were with you for sure. That's some very serious shit. Glad it had the ending it did...

.................... "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Not Enough"

... Image
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Grand, that is scary shit. Glad you are ok. Never thought about this happening at cruising speeds let alone the triple digits we can get to in seconds on these beasts. On a side note, because of this, you potentially saved my ass. After reading about your ordeal, I went to the garage and checked mine, guess what?, the bolts were loose!!. At least 3 turns each. Everyone, please check these on a regular basis.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Just a question, and I'm sure John, or someone will have a reasonable argument for one,
but which bolt would be easiest to break,

a loose bolt,
a nearly properly tightened bolt (+ or – a few pounds),
or an over tightened bolt?
ElsV8

Post by ElsV8 »

Elvis, since it's snowing and 15 degrees out, I'm going to weigh in with a hunch as I'm not nearly bright :idea: enough to make an educated statement. I would GUESS....."overtightened".

Els :dunno:

.................... "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Not Enough"

... Image
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

V8Bikers wrote:Grand, that is scary shit. Glad you are ok. Never thought about this happening at cruising speeds let alone the triple digits we can get to in seconds on these beasts. On a side note, because of this, you potentially saved my ass. After reading about your ordeal, I went to the garage and checked mine, guess what?, the bolts were loose!!. At least 3 turns each. Everyone, please check these on a regular basis.

Crazy, lock washers !
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Since this was posted almost a year ago I thought I'd bump it up to the top as a reminder for us all ...

As winter is starting to wind down (hopefully) and spring is around the corner be sure to go over your bikes/trikes and check out ALL the fasteners.
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Just FYI .. I would not recommend replacing the steel bolts with Stainless Steel Bolts. While Stainless is rust resistant and more attractive, it is not a as strong. If you intend to replace them, Go with Grade 8 Steel.

Just my .02
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

I've found mine loose a couple of times. Regular maintenance now.
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!
Ric

Post by Ric »

I had the same situation with my old Shovelhead. Only I was doing about 30, coming to a red light. Exact situation, I had no steering… so I leaned forward on the gas tank and grabbed both sides of the forks near the upper triple tree, and let the bike buck itself to a stall, and surprisingly enough, I didn't dump it either!!

I too replaced the bolts with grade 8's after that! :goodidea:

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

This sounds like a horrible situation. I am amazed at this happening on a bike and just as amazed that it doesn't happen regularly on trikes. Those bolts are under MAJOR sideways pressures on a trike whenever they are turning. Bikes rarely turn the forks unless you are going very slow, at speed they are barely turning the opposite way from the direction of the turn, the turn happens because of the lean and there isn't a quarter of the pressure of the same turn on a trike. I think the bolts break from a vibration that "work hardens" them after enough time but I'll never know for sure.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada