V8 trike info.

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
ratrodney

V8 trike info.

Post by ratrodney »

Hello.
Im really wanting to start a v8 trike project. I really like the look of the lightning frames. I have blueprints for the tnt trikes and my fabricator said he can easily modify them to look more like the lightning.
My question is on the front forks? I really want a stretched out bike...not into the stubby short front ends but wats the best front end to use? Are the special made or can you order em from somewere? I cant get a solid answer anywereit seems.
I have a cousin who builds chassis and a few selections of reasonable rear ends as well as a 4 link and a never fired blown 6-71 sbc to use on it. so the starting parts list is good. i just dont wanna have the front end snap on me by using the wrong forks.
Anyhow...Any help is greatly appreciated. Tnx, RR :D

heres what im after except for a blower on it.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: V8 trike info.

Post by V8Bikers »

Welcome Rodney! The parts you already have and have access to are certainly a great starting point. http://www.americansuspension.com is one of the best out there. There are the factory front ends for Boss Hoss and V8 Chopper. I'm not positive but they may build custom orders as well. There are many talented members on this board to help with your questions.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Hi Rodney - I was also going to suggest American suspension. I have a springer front end from them. There is also a company called Kewl Metal (kewlmetal.com) that sells triple trees that puts a nice rake and beefier front end. Bill has them on his 502. I attached images of our bikes for you to see what they look like. Good luck and have fun !! Oh and keep us updated on the progress (Please)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

Thank you very much for the info.
Yes thats the look im going for. Very kool rides there! :D Will post pics when I get movin on it. Thanks again. RR
ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

OK fellas.
Just looked at there site. Very sweet forks but honostly way more than I can swing. I outta mention that im goin for a mad max...rattie look so flashy isnt needed.
Is there any out there thats more affordable or maybe a used set from ebay or somewere I can modify to be strong enough to handle the weight? I dont understand the differences in em. How would I know what length would give me what Im looking for? Springer....triple trees...hardbody??? Im a little confused. I sincerely appreciate the help. RR

How bout something like this with stiffer springs?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-BLACK-CUSTOM ... 9qU3l4RbBR(D+p7oI!~~60_12.JPG
Last edited by ratrodney on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

You're asking questions for which there are, really, no answers. Since this will be a custom build, there are too many variables. You need to mock everything up and see what you will need. Get your engine, trans and rear end up on cinder blocks, 4X4s or whatever you have. Level everything off. Then build a frame from PVC and duct tape. Then you can determine what front end will work, etc. There are a bunch of forks that should work. Maybe an early Goldwing. Just get one from a heavy bike. You can get longer tubes from Forking By Frank for any front end.
Don't put the cart before the horse and try to get all the parts that you think might fit. A scratch build requires a plan and some clear rational thinking as well as an ability to visualize the finished product. Mechanical skills and an eye for what looks right (and what looks stupid) is necessary.
I've been posting on these V8 bike sites for 6-7 years, ever since I got my BH, and every six months, or so, someone comes on and announces they are doing a scratch build. I have yet to see a finished product.
Good Luck
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

Carl La Fong wrote:You're asking questions for which there are, really, no answers. Since this will be a custom build, there are too many variables. You need to mock everything up and see what you will need. Get your engine, trans and rear end up on cinder blocks, 4X4s or whatever you have. Level everything off. Then build a frame from PVC and duct tape. Then you can determine what front end will work, etc. There are a bunch of forks that should work. Maybe an early Goldwing. Just get one from a heavy bike. You can get longer tubes from Forking By Frank for any front end.
Don't put the cart before the horse and try to get all the parts that you think might fit. A scratch build requires a plan and some clear rational thinking as well as an ability to visualize the finished product. Mechanical skills and an eye for what looks right (and what looks stupid) is necessary.
I've been posting on these V8 bike sites for 6-7 years, ever since I got my BH, and every six months, or so, someone comes on and announces they are doing a scratch build. I have yet to see a finished product.
Good Luck

I fully understand and appreciate the straight forewardness. I have blueprints from tnt trikes I bought a few years back and my cousin builds tons of rollers for local dirt track guys so the frames no issue.
Just gotta spread out the bars over the engine to accomodate the blower housing. and tnt trikes have a bobber type front end so he will have to get the angle for the front end.
i just really like the chopperish look.
I just dont fully understand the lengths n everything.
Whats yer take on a trike front end like this? Thanks a lot everyone.

http://v8bikes.com/wp-content/gallery/V ... ke%203.jpg
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

That springer looks like a shop fabricated one, rather than a factory item. I don't follow what you mean by "lengths". Do you mean fork length? Don't your plans have all of the lengths, angles and so on? Doesn't sound like a very comprehensive set of plans. Like I said before, get it mocked up set your neck angle and measure the front end length
ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

Im just not sure if you rake a bike with lets say stock fat boy front end from a regular motorcycle do you just angle the neck to get the chopper look or do you need to lengthin the forks also?
i understand the mock up process but i need to get a front end to do it. Im lost on wether a stock.....big huge big engine front end will work??
the pic in my previous post is about the look im wanting. I just need to know if its stock or has longer forks. Im lookin for id say 40-40 degrees of rake.
Sorry but im confused on the front end. Tnx...RR
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Please beware that there are many complaints on the web about Demon cycles who is selling that front end. In addition to John's great advice, I'd contact the various fork/front end manufacturers and explain your situation and ideas and perhaps they can provide additional information. Also, the company that makes the trike you gave a link to could provide specs as well.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I'm not sure building a motorcycle, from scratch, is going to work for you. You can build a front end that is any length you need, from 3 or 4 inches under stock to as long as you dare. I don't understand why you think you need to have it, in your hand, to begin your build. Just follow the directions in the plans that you purchased. If you want to change the rake, then go ahead. The only thing you will need to know is the stem and bearing size, so you can install the correct size neck. Once the frame is built and sitting at ride height, you can measure from top crown to axle center line and determine the length needed. You cannot run a stock front end, off of any bike ,and rake it very much at all. If the chopper look is what you're after, then you will need a custom front end, either scratch built or with over sized tubes.The trike that you have pictured has a fair amount of rake. You will not be able to use a front end from any stock bike. Nobody, except whomever built that thing, can tell you how long it is.
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Hi Rodney,
I am currently building a trike, and I made my own frame . I agree with Carl on everything based on what I have expierienced .
There are plenty of articles that describe the ins and outs about rake and trail and their relationships, and how they affect the handling. I would research that and come away with a choice that is somehwere in the "middle" . Sounds like you will have a screaming powerplant to get it down the road, so make sure you go overboard on your homework and you won't end up with something that is a bear to handle .
In my case, I did not need the front end here to fabricate the frame. I only needed careful measurements to determine what length to choose, and how much rake I put at the neck. I like the looks and feel of the American Suspension inverted forks and thats what I later purchased.
I will mention, if you still like that long low look, you could consider a girder front end since they can be very strong.
Google Durfee Girders and read up on those. Your fabricator might be able to build one just for your needs.
My 2 worth cents are ,keep reading and planning. Triple check all your measurements twice, be ready for Plan B,and most importantly,,,,,,,,,, everything you do will cost you alot more than you planned!
Good luck, keep us posted..jeff :catfight:
ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

Ok guys. I thank you for your help. Ill have to research and see what I find. I just dont have the $$$$$ to spend on a hi dollar front end. Might have to see if I can find some fab ideas and make something. I live about 3 milkes from a motorcycle salvage yard. Sharps cycles in chillicothe so Ill see if he can help me out to.
Thanks again. Rod
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

As Jeff said you need to research rake and trail before you build as they will make a big difference on how it handles.
ratrodney

Post by ratrodney »

WOW!
Ive been studying rake and trail but i think im understanding it better than before. It seems that you need between 2-4.5 inches of trail to keep handling good.
Im gonna keep studying as I see how to check for it...im still in the dark on understanding how to measure the front end length i will need.I mean after the front end is on I can measure but still confused on how to before when its just the bare frame.
Ill keep reading. Thanks again. Rod