Latest V8 project.

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Steve Taylor

Latest V8 project.

Post by Steve Taylor »

Smallblock Chevy, 360 rear, 250 front, air ride front and rear, 45 degree headstock with fat springers.
Attachments
Normal ride height.
Normal ride height.
Slammed, front will lower too.
Slammed, front will lower too.
Last edited by Steve Taylor on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Latest V8 project.

Post by Carl La Fong »

So far, so good. Curtis box?
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Gila

Post by Gila »

Wow ,,, very impressive ,,, looking forward to seeing the end result ,,,

Mike

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

So from the looks of the front frame down tube, the engine is going to be a stressed member part of the frame ... interesting. How do you allow for torque thrust?

I am asking because I have ZERO knowledge on this subject and want to be educated. I would think ( based on nothing but my own uneducated thoughts ) that when you go from idle to wfo throttle the torque from the engine twist would pretzel the downtubes like in the old unibodies. How do you offset that? OR do you not really have to worry about it because of the rear engine mounted directly to the frame ( not shown )
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Looks very, very nice so far Steve. Love the swingarm and the 360. Do you have any more photos of the fat springer?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

petitemoose wrote:So from the looks of the front frame down tube, the engine is going to be a stressed member part of the frame ... interesting. How do you allow for torque thrust?

I am asking because I have ZERO knowledge on this subject and want to be educated. I would think ( based on nothing but my own uneducated thoughts ) that when you go from idle to wfo throttle the torque from the engine twist would pretzel the downtubes like in the old unibodies. How do you offset that? OR do you not really have to worry about it because of the rear engine mounted directly to the frame ( not shown )
Moose, On a V8 Chopper the front of the engine and the rear of the engine are bolted to the frame, no top motor mount at all. The only time I can get the bike to torque over a little is when the bike is stopped and I rev the motor. I don't know what happens as soon as it moves forward but I never feel any of the torque again. Actually the same on my BH.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ric

Post by Ric »

I wonder Dave, is this is meant by torque-steer? When I go from idle to a rev… it kicks to the right… but settles down what seems to be about 10 degrees of the compass that the torque catches up to the reciprocating mass and we can 'rock' the bike back and forth with 'blipping' the throttle.

But even if I do a rolling burnout, I can NEVER Feel this torque steer, I'm guessing that it's due to the fact that the 'torque-steer' is eaten up so quickly, even with a Big Block. It's always felt stable. And as we've delved into the past… the engine mounting is slightly different on a Boss Hoss Big Block, vs the Small Block. Not sure if that makes any difference at all… but it's fascinating to know that the V8 Chopper doesn't have top motor mounts. Interesting.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote:
petitemoose wrote:So from the looks of the front frame down tube, the engine is going to be a stressed member part of the frame ... interesting. How do you allow for torque thrust?

Moose, On a V8 Chopper the front of the engine and the rear of the engine are bolted to the frame, no top motor mount at all. The only time I can get the bike to torque over a little is when the bike is stopped and I rev the motor. I don't know what happens as soon as it moves forward but I never feel any of the torque again. Actually the same on my BH.
I have noticed the same exact thing on my scoot torque to the right when blipping the throttle in neutral but straight lift when in gear.
I was assuming that since both BH and V8 Choppers have frame surrounding the engines that the frame twisting torque was buffered against by the "boxed frame" ( traditional frame style with upper and lower frame tube ) Having no lower frame tube i am curious where the torque will be dissipated

Don't want to hijack the thread

From what i see in the pics this is gonna be one unique , sweet ride! With a springer front end and a 250 series tire you had better be one strong armed sunny gun!
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Lots of people ask me about the torque when I'm selling bikes. Some think it will just throw you to the ground if you give it the gas. I tell them that you can only feel it with the bike stopped. It may be present once its moving but I never feel it. I don't think the frame absorbs it, I just think once the bike moves its easier for the torque to propel it forward than twist it down. Maybe we are leaning or steering against the torque without realizing it as it dissipates in less than a second or two anyway. I think somebody could just bolt a front end to the front of the block and a rear piece off the trans case to hold the wheel and do without a frame as we know it. However what I've learned from past experience is that most of what I think doesn't work.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

My, less than scientific belief is, the gyroscopic effect of the wheels somehow cancels the torque of the engine. Sometimes, on the freeway, someone will give me a thumbs up. I will pull in the clutch (it's that thingy dodad on the left bar) and rap the pipes at them. I can feel the bike twitch to the right. When we're riding, normally or even accelerating hard, the engine still revs slowly as opposed to rapping the pipes, which causes a very quick torque reaction.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Here is a good one....had a Harley guy tell me that a V8 rider told him that after an hour of riding a Boss Hoss you are very very tired from fighting the torgue pull of the bike to the right...wanting to fall right even on the highway...wonder who the F that V8 goof was?? if he even existed
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Gila

Post by Gila »

That is as we all know a total crock Barry ,,, I have gone >1000 klicks in a day with all three of my Boss's ,,, not tiring at all ,,, my favorite for long distance was my ZZ4 because of the electronic cruise (which also almost killed me) ,,, but thats it ,,, I only find torque to the right when firing up ,,, hit throttle at stand still and shifting to overdrive ,,, Very smoth units ,,,

V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Gila wrote:That is as we all know a total crock Barry ,,, I have gone >1000 klicks in a day with all three of my Boss's ,,, not tiring at all ,,, my favorite for long distance was my ZZ4 because of the electronic cruise (which also almost killed me) ,,, but thats it ,,, I only find torque to the right when firing up ,,, hit throttle at stand still and shifting to overdrive ,,, Very smoth units ,,,
Gila, In La Crosse you kept telling us your LS3
would "rip your fucking arms off" That don't sound very smooth to me!
Perv

....Johnston, Iowa
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Carl La Fong wrote:So far, so good. Curtis box?
Thanks Carl and yes, Curtis from Kimi in Finland.
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Having tubes under the engine makes no difference strength wise to the tubes above. This frame mounts to the heads at the front, the original engine mounts and also the gearbox at the rear. The swing arm bolts to the gearbox instead of the frame.
Try taking a visit to a breakers yard, the frame bends in an accident, not the engine. It is the strongest part, especially on a V8 lump, so it makes sense to use it's strength. Don't know where you got the idea that the "torque thrust" would be able to bend a frame, if it was that much, there's no way the bike could possibly stay upright :frustrated:
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

There was a guy building frameless V8 bikes a few years ago. It never got off the ground. Thunderbolt, I think. It used alloy castings that bolted to the engine and trans. He claimed a dry weight of under 1000 pounds
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I may not be explaining this right but here goes.

First remove a section of frame from around the transmission, and unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing.

Now secure the back of the bike, and wheel, and elevate the front wheel slightly.

Start the engine, and put in gear, the front of the bike will rotate to the right.

Now reverse this process by securing the front end, raising the back end, and start the engine in gear.

The transmission, and rear frame will rotate to the left.

The motor and transmission torque in opposite directions cancelling each other out.

As Stu would say, "Flame Suit On" :)

And to get back on topic, great looking swingarm and frame, can't wait to see it finished.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

Thunderbolt Enterprises Inc. (Thunderrod)

Antique Motor Works (V-12 Zephyr) ...no website at this time...
for info, contact the builder Dale Olson, at: (815) 827-3110

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50392562 ... =1&pid=1.7
Gila

Post by Gila »

Perv ,,, I was talking in a velocity sense at WOT compared to my ZZ4 and 502 ,,, absolutely ,,, my LS3 SS hooks up big time in comparison ,,, but for side torque when riding normal ,, all three of the Boss's I have rode are nice and smooth and I can ride all day long without tiring ,,,

Did you really have to use the F-Word ,,, your becoming more and more like Clint ,,, LOL

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I can check the video and see if you used the F word in La Crosse :)

Shane
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Next job, one off stainless exhaust.
Attachments
IMG_0835.jpg
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Steve Taylor wrote:Next job, one off stainless exhaust.

That looks AWESOME, I'd like to see pics from the front and rear when you get a chance! Really nice job :thumbup:

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

talk about the naked look......