Import a Boss Hoss into the USA from Canada

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Import a Boss Hoss into the USA from Canada

Post by CanuckHoss »

Anybody ever done this??

I have a US Customs Broker telling me that the fees are $400 or so if the buyer or a close relative takes it across the US Border but if I take it across or a truck does there is another $650 DOT and EPA fee...sounds not right

Don't want to jinx it but I may have Stu's 606 going back to USA, fingers crossed!!
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: Import a Boss Hoss into the USA from Canada

Post by V8Bikers »

Barry, I searched but surprisingly found very little info. Even though it pertains to bringing a vehicle from the US into Canada, not sure if the same fees apply the other way around?

http://www.riv.ca/PaymentAndFees.aspx

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V8Bikers wrote:Barry, I searched but surprisingly found very little info. Even though it pertains to bringing a vehicle from the US into Canada, not sure if the same fees apply the other way around?

http://www.riv.ca/PaymentAndFees.aspx
That is too familiar and I could most likely fill out the paperwork for a US to Canada bike with my eyes closed...which is a good thing... but not at all applicable to a Canada to USA Import. A US to Canada Importation does not change at all in paperwork or Gov't fees or procedure...if you don't do the paperwork yourself you pay a Broker about $300

I don't use a broker unless it is a Boss Hoss trike that is 2003 and newer.

But this US Broker is describing a different scenario for South bound bikes.
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

What State is it possibly going to? The best way is to have someone in that state call the local DMV and ask as if they were buying the bike. If you are lucky enough for it to be Florida, I will call Monday Morning for you.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:What State is it possibly going to? The best way is to have someone in that state call the local DMV and ask as if they were buying the bike. If you are lucky enough for it to be Florida, I will call Monday Morning for you.
California...I don't think the DMV could tell you what the procedure at the border is...could be wrong...
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I assumed you would be taking the bike across the border then shipping it from there or taking it to the buyer personally. Then it would pretty much be up to them.
Perhaps this will help?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... motorcycle

This Paragraph may be extremely helpful to you and can be found at the link below it in the " A word of caution" Paragraph ...

Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty....

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_ ... umentation
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I assumed you would be taking the bike across the border then shipping it from there or taking it to the buyer personally. Then it would pretty much be up to them.
Perhaps this will help?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... motorcycle

This Paragraph may be extremely helpful to you and can be found at the link below it in the " A word of caution" Paragraph ...

Re-Importing A Previously Exported Vehicle
A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer. Repairs or accessories acquired abroad for your vehicle must be declared on your return and may be subject to duty....

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_ ... umentation
Dennis...you assumed right.... but I can't just take it across...paperwork needs to be done either before or at US Customs...

I will read your links later to see if it helps. I think this one Broker that gave me advice may be just gabbing the extra $650..not sure
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

From reading the paragraph I posted, If Stu had the bike registered in TX, then it can be brought back in free of charge. I am assuming he is the one that bought the bike new. IF he bought it used and it was registered in the US it would still apply.
Sounds like the "broker" is stacking the deck.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:From reading the paragraph I posted, If Stu had the bike registered in TX, then it can be brought back in free of charge. I am assuming he is the one that bought the bike new. IF he bought it used and it was registered in the US it would still apply.
Sounds like the "broker" is stacking the deck.
Dennis...correct...problem is that it was Imported properly and Registered in Alberta, Canada

When a bike comes across the Border for Import the US Customs stamp the Title as leaving the US..wherein lies the problem of making it look like it never left. Any Us Customs Official looking at the Title know that officially it left the US.

I am not sure if Stu himself could just take it across the border and then register it in texas and then sell it without the Customs being involved.

Was told today that even though the bike originated in the US they treat it like it has never been there ever and needs to meet certain things...totally sucks in my opinion for US manufactures.
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

If Stu Was the first buyer and took possession in Canada .... Then you are pretty well Screwed with a Capitol F.

If Stu took possession in TX. and had it registered in there then Imported it to Canada then you are home free.

At least that is the way I read it.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:If Stu Was the first buyer and took possession in Canada .... Then you are pretty well Screwed with a Capitol F.

If Stu took possession in TX. and had it registered in there then Imported it to Canada then you are home free.

At least that is the way I read it.
It is a 2002 so Stu is not the first buyer.

the first broker said it could be done for sure without testing with appropriate stickers. there is one for the DOT but not EPA.soooo...not sure.

I honestly thought it would be a non-issue going back to the country of origin..should be but is not
CanuckHoss