502 top end

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Tom

502 top end

Post by Tom »

Got my parts coming... :mrgreen:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Top End Engine Kit; Power Package; Top End Kit; 611 HP; Incl. Intake/Heads/Hydraulic Roller Cam And Lifters/Ga

Going to top it off with an 850 holley. and some roller rockers. Should do the trick.
KISS

Re: 502 top end

Post by KISS »

Thanks Tom!Sounds interresting,and the price is affordable,hmhmhm
Intake is made by Edelbrock,but i did not see manufacturer of the heads.
Tom

Post by Tom »

The heads are edelbrock too. They are 106cc chambers so the compression gets raised to roughly 10:1. I think this is a good way to go because I can sell my old parts and come out way ahead of the expense of doing all the work to mine to make them as good as these.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Jep,i like the idea too! That set sounds like a good invest for that much hp!I have already just rebuilded Holley 850db on mine.I´m looking forward to hear how Your bike kicks w that kit! :o
Tom

Post by Tom »

I`ll post pictures here as I progress.
Smoke'em

Post by Smoke'em »

Tom, If you get it really running and not pooping out I might send you my 502 8-)

"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
Els

Post by Els »

Tom, you already know how I feel about Holley's. When able, check out http://www.netwelding.com/holley_carb.htm and you'll get another good testimonial.

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Tom had such a good idea I just hired Tim Siron to
do a top end build on my 502 trike. Will add headers
and try to raise a little hell this summer in Iowa. :twisted:

....Johnston, Iowa
Els

Post by Els »

Tom had a GREAT idea! You can do so much really cool stuff to the bigblock that ends up making huge power. It's amazing how sleepy that 502 is in it's condition as delivered.

Having read on some of the hotrod boards what some of the track guys have done with the 502, I slobber and drool. A kit like Tom's getting ready to do is the ticket. Glad to hear there will be another in Iowa. Good luck!

Elliot
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

So Elliot, how does that badass looking chopper run? I was
considering getting one and then heard it doesn't have any
rear shocks. Does it beat a guy up riding all day?

....Johnston, Iowa
Els

Post by Els »

Most folks who have never ridden a rigid frame bike or remember some of the choppers from the old days have a preconceived notion that a hardtail is a nasty ride. Not so with the V8Chopper based on the year and a half I had mine (the one pictured below) and various others I've rode. When you ride next to one, you can see all the shock absorbtion going through the front end and frame. It's actually a very pleasant ride...unless you hit a bad pothole, then you need to check to see if any dental fillings came out. It is remarkably pleasant on decent roads.

Handling is significantly different than a BH. Having had both old (pre 2000) and new style Bosses, riding with many different tires, I can tell you the chopper is much more nimble. Please understand this is not knocking the Boss. If it came to any cross country type cruising, it would clearly be my choice. For riding any curvey roads and slow speed handling, I strongly feel the chopper is more nimble and well behaved. This is in part due to seat height, center of gravity, and gross weight considerations. The "riding all day" you reference could have other considerations such as the Boss using a windshield, the chopper doesn't, and comfort of rear passenger if there is to be one.

Performance will vary according to powerplant selections in both. If you were to compare a stock smallblock Boss to a stock smallblock chopper, the chopper due to weight and transmission will clearly outperform the Boss 0 - 100, however, the Boss will be a nicer ride on the highway due to the overdrive or what some call "2nd gear". I believe this will soon be no factor with the chopper as Stan is going have a 26 tooth, quick replace front sprocket which dramatically lowers highway rpm but will still have plenty on the bottom due to a higher stall converter.

Stan is also now going from a ZZ4 to a 360 hp DART motor for the standard motor choice. I suspect this to be a significant improvement and to clearly outperform the smallblock Boss. With the 500+ hp, 400 c.i. DART motor he now has available....well, I'll say no more until I get mine.

Elliot
Image Image Image
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

I rode one of Stan's Choppers in Atlanta a couple of months ago and was very impressed. I only rode about 10 miles but it wasn't until the end of the ride that I realized that I was riding a hard tail. I pulled over to the edge of the road to purposely run over some rough asphalt and it really didn't feel any worse than my bike would have in the same situation. Stan is doing some incredible things with these bikes and they look awesome!
Els

Post by Els »

Ricky,

Stan is really doing a great job with the bikes. I'm really excited with the new one coming.

Let's be sure to get together and swap rides for a bit in Daytona and you can check out one with the new big DART motor. I'd enjoy riding your bigblock as it would be a reminder of a bike I loved...Big Red.

Elliot
Image Image Image
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

OH YEAH!!! That sounds like a good plan to me! :D
Tom

Post by Tom »

I`ve got most of the part here for my top end... Just waiting on rocker arms. When I ordered the edelbrock kit from Summit their listing said the lifters were included... They are not but I got them at 60% off for the mistake and Summit fixed the error on their page.
So far it`s shaping up like this..106cc port matched rectangle port heads. 2.25 intake 1.90 exhaust valves. RPM single plane air gap intake. New roller cam..Duration 335/ 329, Lift .625/ .639. Crower stainless roller rockers. 850 CFM holley carb with mechanical secondaries. One of Marv`s K&N air filter kits that moves the air cleaner forward 1 inch and drops the back 1/2 inch for tank clearance.(also uses an 8" filter and extreme top) Sanderson 2" primary Tri-Y headers.
I plan to get after it next weekend so I`ll post some pics then.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Looking forward to seeing pics of installation and reports of performance!!

Shane
KISS

Post by KISS »

Me too!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Got the bike apart today... Looks good. The single plane air gap intake turned out to be the same height as the stock manifold with a NOS plate. I did find the right front motor mount had pulled out of the frame tube and left a big hole. This is the second 502 I have seen do this.
here are some pics.
Attachments
milling manifold.JPG
hole in frame.JPG
carb hieght.JPG
Tom

Post by Tom »

here are a few more pics
Attachments
plate install2.JPG
short block.JPG
oil valley.JPG
Tom

Post by Tom »

and a couple more
Attachments
nitrous installed.JPG
plate install.JPG
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Tom,
The progress is looking really good. 8-) That sure was a big ugly hole in the frame. You said this is the second you have ever seen. :shock: Has anyone else ever had issue with this motor mount breaking the frame at this location? :?: Did you feel anything different riding before you tore it down? ever had any instance where you felt this may have happened or the cause? or just the torque twist of the motor? Any info you can provide will be appreciated.

Any one else have this issue with the torn frame at right side motor mount location? :roll: or any of the motor mounts tearing the frame? :shock:

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Els

Post by Els »

I was staring at that picture of the hole in the frame with my mouth hanging open. Had never seen or heard that one before. My first thought hearing it was a 2nd occurence on different bikes (?) would make me highly suspicious that it was isolated to those two events.

Tom, beautiful new intake but by the looks in the pic alone, I would have never guessed the new one is no taller than the stock Edelbrock intake plus a nitrous plate. That new one looks really tall.

Elliot
Image Image Image
Tom

Post by Tom »

Wild Bill posted on the other site this morning a picture of his frame broken in the same place... nothing to feel and no way to know it is broken until you tear it down and look. All three bikes that are broken have over 35000 miles. I can fix it but it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I think I will call the factory just to give them a heads up.
As far as th manifold... I couldn`t believe they were the same either. When I took it out of the box I said no way it was going to work... I`ve measured them... compared them... and looked from every angle and still can`t explain it but even though the single plane looks WAY taller... They are the same.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Tom,now we all know that adding horsepower is good for the bike,you can at the same time fix your frame! :lol:
Tom

Post by Tom »

Well... made good progress today ut now I found out the stock pushrods are too short... Becuase of the different lifters I think... Could be the heads but I doubt it.. The intake and exhaust ports are raised but The heads appear basically the same other than that.
We decided the best route on the broken frame was to just weld it up and make a better job of it than to try to modify it because of the proximity of the weld for the neck.. Just not much room to work with.
Here are some shots of today`s work.
Attachments
manifold height 2.JPG
manifold height.JPG
frame welded.JPG