brake caliper

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
tjy

brake caliper

Post by tjy »

I'm going on a road trip south and going to buy a Front caliper lock. Wondering if anybody has a favorite. Is the rotor a special type? I going to search local prob. J and P cycle parts, I wish Millers custom parts was still open as they sold them Thanks tom

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: brake caliper

Post by CanuckHoss »

Disc locks are all good...some better but we like the ones shaped like a hand grenade.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
tjy

Post by tjy »

Hi Barry Do you have a brand you use? Thanks Friend!

Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Tom ole buddy, I sure hope your going to put more than a rotor lock on that beauty when heading "anywhere". If thieves spent as much time being productive as they do being counter productive, we'd need not worry and would have a great society but in the meantime and with a machine like that, I'd have every lock and gadget known to man, including a remote detonating bomb if it does get stolen!! LOL

Have a safe trip!!!

J.

tjy wrote:I'm going on a road trip south and going to buy a Front caliper lock. Wondering if anybody has a favorite. Is the rotor a special type? I going to search local prob. J and P cycle parts, I wish Millers custom parts was still open as they sold them Thanks tom
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
LAYNRBR

Post by LAYNRBR »

This works great for mine from HD dealer
Attachments
20150409_193424.jpg
[album][/album]
LAYNRBR

Post by LAYNRBR »

Another pic
Attachments
20150409_193432.jpg
[album][/album]
tjy

Post by tjy »

Rich Are you running two at a time? My son says one on the bottom side and one on the top so the wheel can't turn. Im going to ride to Cape Canaveral and stay at a timeshare loaded with cameras and security,,says the son. I like the idea of the one that screams at 110 dbs, starts with the letter X? Xa??? Tom

zyoung

Post by zyoung »

Found it. Xena Disc-lock alarm for motorcycle. Comes in yellow or stainless steel. I'll show you this tomorrow dad. Several options to choose from online for purchasing. Also, cameras are there... but I didn't see any security wandering around but they may have added some.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-04-09-23-39-20.png
"If it is to be, it is up to me." - Noel Mast

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Here you go

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/920-572 ... D553F3014A

And these are popular too

http://www.motosport.com/deemeed-six-sh ... etargeting

Just always remember that the lock is there...that is what the yellow or orange stretch cord is for to remind you of it.

I always..always will install it at the back of the rotor so that when driving forward the bike / trike can only move a couple inches before it stops on the lock...no damage...if you put it so that the tires can make a full rotation then damage could occur to callipers and or rotor and if on a bike it is most likely tom fall over..NOT GOOD!! Even a Bandana tied somewhere to remind you would work.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Tom -

I believe an alarm on the trike would be the most effective method of protection. Get one that has a "paging" system ... it will send you a note when anything was/is being tampered with. You get the page and you go out with .357 or .40 ... VERY EFFECTIVE.

If you go the route of a "rotor lock" be CAREFUL. Barry explained what the outcome could be. Years ago I got a call from a very good friend. Olaf was at Americade and he used a rotor lock. He got up in the morning to go to breakfast. He forgot the lock was on (he never used at home) and went to take off. He broke the caliper mount and dropped the bike! I pulled the mount off a bike I was doing a lot of custom work on since I didn't need it right then and off to NY I went with parts and tools. He would never use that type of lock again and neither would I if I could help it.

I have one laying around I would be happy to look for it ...

Any lock or alarm is only so effective. A thief is a THIEF and if they want something bad enough they will steal it no matter what precautions you take.

I've been known to bring two wheel bikes into my hotel room(s). I try to stay at motels and ground floor. You can't do that with a trike unless you make major modifications to their doorway!!

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING