Heat from Boss Hoss Engine

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
LAYNRBR

Heat from Boss Hoss Engine

Post by LAYNRBR »

Posting this question for my dad as he is interested in purchasing a Boss Hoss Trike.
Does the motor produce too much heat for a daily driver who lives in the FL heat?
He is getting mixed reviews from those who don't own a Boss Hoss Trike.Collectively the answers are they let off too much heat for the 80-90 degree weather. I would like to think differently but would like feed back from the horses mouth.
Thanks is advance
[album][/album]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Heat from Boss Hoss Engine

Post by CanuckHoss »

LAYNRBR wrote:Posting this question for my dad as he is interested in purchasing a Boss Hoss Trike.
Does the motor produce too much heat for a daily driver who lives in the FL heat?
He is getting mixed reviews from those who don't own a Boss Hoss Trike.Collectively the answers are they let off too much heat for the 80-90 degree weather. I would like to think differently but would like feed back from the horses mouth.
Thanks is advance
Personally I believe the small blocks are not an issue. I have been to Sturgis (100F) on SBs and BBs. I did not find a SB much warmer than my Goldwing or HD Glide in stop and go traffic. The BB is a totally different story.

With floorboards adjusted right he could keep his knees away from the headers. I pretty much always wear chaps.

If a person put on a left hand brake to replace the rear brake then one could have their feet up on highway pegs all the time and that would make a big difference.

Also..if he were to get a Sierra trike he could convert to the rear underbody radiator and then there would be pretty much zero heat issue.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

I have a V8 chopper trike and live in florida -I have never had an issue with heat from the engine. Now sitting at a light in 95 degree weather is another story -it's just hot on or off the trike.

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Excuse me, But I'm from Ohio..Just what is this 80-90 degree weather you speak of ??? But for the record small block bike no heat issues..Big block bike is warmer BUT well worth it!
phpBB [video]
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

Interesting thing is...when riding any Boss I've owned, the discomfort from heat never outweighs the experience of a wild beast thundering away between your knees... Unless it's on fire! IMHO

Jim
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I had an 08 HD Ultra Glide, an 09 Ultra Glide and a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. All three of those would cook the inside of your legs to Well done in about 30 minutes. The road Glide with the 103 was the worst.
My 05 Small Block is SO MUCH COOLER than any of the above it isn't even comparable.
Where in FL does he live? IF it is nearby, I would be happy to meet him somewhere and he can see for himself. Those that do not have actual experience just assume that since the number of cylinders is quadrupled, so is the heat. They do not take the Iron Block and cooling from the radiator into account.

The kicker to these bikes is that the Passenger seems to get more heat than the Driver. that is something to be taken into consideration IF he rides 2 up a lot
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

petitemoose wrote:I had an 08 HD Ultra Glide, an 09 Ultra Glide and a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. All three of those would cook the inside of your legs to Well done in about 30 minutes. The road Glide with the 103 was the worst.
My 05 Small Block is SO MUCH COOLER than any of the above it isn't even comparable.
Where in FL does he live? IF it is nearby, I would be happy to meet him somewhere and he can see for himself. Those that do not have actual experience just assume that since the number of cylinders is quadrupled, so is the heat. They do not take the Iron Block and cooling from the radiator into account.

The kicker to these bikes is that the Passenger seems to get more heat than the Driver. that is something to be taken into consideration IF he rides 2 up a lot
Now that you mention it Moose, we agree totally on the Ultra being hot! We had an 05 Ultra Classic with a stage 3 kit and we referred to it as our Bar-B-Q pit on wheels...it SUCKED!! My wifes inner calves and ankles would get blistered if she didn't wear double layer socks knee high and thick jeans. .. man, she was a trooper to ride that thing 3,000 miles in the mountains with me.... but when we got home, the for sale sign went right on it and we never rode it again.

Jim
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
LAYNRBR

Post by LAYNRBR »

He lives outside of Daytona in Edgewater
[album][/album]
oblongs

Post by oblongs »

We live in central California and it gets over 100 degrees often, and our 57 trike BB will cook you. The body doesn't seem to let a lot of air flow.
Fat people are harder to kidnap
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

LAYNRBR wrote:He lives outside of Daytona in Edgewater
Someday soon If I find myself going that direction We can arrange a Meet up. Most of the time I go that direction, I am in the work truck but I have purchased a timeshare for Bike Weeks so i am sure I will need to travel to sign the documents at one point.
Will keep you posted
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Looks like we have another party house for next year !! :mrgreen:

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

I Live in Ft Lauderdale and I use my Boss Hoss trike almost every day to go back and for to work, and yes, it is hot, I have a small block, while you ride, no problem, but at street lights, stop signs, traffic etc your feet get's hot, with long pants is more bearable, but I use Bermuda shorts all the time and have to watch my feet and pull them back as far as I can from engine, when the fan kicks on, you feel the heat more, and here at SF, the fan is on most of the time
I guess I got used to it and don't care much about the heat, i STILL ride it as much as I can

if it has a solution, why to worry? and if not, why to worry?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Just remembered riding yesterday of another way to keep cooler on a V8...might help with you dad

I installed a set of Baker Air Wings and they are absolutely the cat's ass in the cold weather last fall and this spring...I believe they work at slow speeds in and around town too.

The reverse should be true come warmer weather when I turn them so that they bring air in towards me.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham