Thrashing the new Tranny for all its worth

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
ventury

Thrashing the new Tranny for all its worth

Post by ventury »

I had the pleasure of being a guest of Tom and his wife at Mountain boss Hoss,it was also good to see Dick and his son again

I saw Tom put 600 bhp (wild galloping horses) through the new trans,,riding it like it was stolen.It was so nice to see after all the years of the bum clenching Trans fobia i had acquired ,,the dread of pushing a trans broken BH still wakes me at night lol

The very last small changes are being done now ,then it will hit the shelves,,,good news i thought
Ride safe
regards
Ventury
Last edited by ventury on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hogv8

Re: Thrashing the new Tranny for all its worth

Post by hogv8 »

Ya bu t how much ?
ventury

Post by ventury »

Greetings
I have no idea,its having a small mod done
Priceing is a black magic art the powers that be have control on .
If i hear i will post for sure,I was just pleased to finally ( i hope) see this "akillies heel"resolved
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

John...

I knew Tom had beat the ever living crap of his test tranny...burnouts in 2nd gear etc with no breakdowns.

If I were to guess...and I have no inside info whatsoever from Tom... I would guess a tranny at $12,000 to $15,000 but I could be totally out to lunch
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

To me it seems strange to invest so much money into a product that has such a limited market.. I'm hoping Tom and Monty are working together to offer a better transmission for factory production,,Thus reducing cost per unit..Making it more affordable for everyone..I hope?? Or is Tom going to start manufacturing his own bikes??? New big block customs anyone ?? Man this is getting interesting..
phpBB [video]
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

BH is for sale. Tom has a transmission. Anyone see a pattern forming??
Just thinking out loud (actually, with my fingers)
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Carl La Fong wrote:BH is for sale. Tom has a transmission. Anyone see a pattern forming??
Just thinking out loud (actually, with my fingers)
AND don't forget Tom now owns Hoss Fly...
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

CanuckHoss wrote:John...

I knew Tom had beat the ever living crap of his test tranny...burnouts in 2nd gear etc with no breakdowns.

If I were to guess...and I have no inside info whatsoever from Tom... I would guess a tranny at $12,000 to $15,000 but I could be totally out to lunch
Before I'd spend $15,000.00 for a trans for my Boss I'd be back riding my Roadking .
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

As I've said, many times, selling new transmissions, either over the counter or as retro fits, is doomed to failure. The only, practical, way to market them is to wrap a motorcycle around them. If the funds are available, buying BH would be the best move. They are an established brand with name recognition. All of the tooling and fixtures are in place in Dyersburg. All of the DOT requirements have been met (so far?!?). Bikes could be built again. New life could be breathed into BH by offering new models that would compare with V8 Chopper or Vanquish.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Carl, well said.
Geez
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

I would spend big money on a fool proof transmission in the blink of an eye. With that you have the perfect bike. Nothing to worry or care about. The rest of a Boss is easy to maintain and spare parts are not a problem.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

502wingman wrote:I would spend big money on a fool proof transmission in the blink of an eye. With that you have the perfect bike. Nothing to worry or care about. The rest of a Boss is easy to maintain and spare parts are not a problem.
So would I; would buy it in a New Minute, though nothing is fool-proof to include that transmission.
If Boss Hoss were to adopt that tranny and make it a production tranny supplied by Mountain for all of their bikes, then Mountain could also offer the transmission to those of us wanting to upgrade; Mountain's production cost would / should be much lower and hopefully they'd cut those of us wanting to upgrade a better deal, Mountain also has invested some R&D money into that tranny that they no-doubt want to recover.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Gila

Post by Gila »

Need a tranny for my 502 ,,, would upgrade in a minute ,,,

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gila wrote:Need a tranny for my 502 ,,, would upgrade in a minute ,,,
Call Tom.....I am not sure where he is at with the new tranny but worth a call for sure..
CanuckHoss

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I saw it in a bike behind a nasty sounding big block. Saw it run and drive with my own 2 eyes so I know it exists and works ( well 1st gear anyway LoL ) Still no answer as to cost and availability.
The oil pan sticks pretty low. I would guess there is only 3 inches of ground clearance. Not a big deal for FL riders but it would be for those in the rest of the world where the potholes swallow VW bugs and have a lot of speed bumps.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:John...

Before I'd spend $15,000.00 for a trans for my Boss I'd be back riding my Roadking .
I understand Jack but without a word of a lie there are Harley guys here putting $10,000 into motor work alone to get more HP.....then chrome etc etc etc ...so $15,000 for a bulletproof tranny behind gobs of HP to start with in my option is really not that bad...granted a lot of money for sure
CanuckHoss

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I know Barry , I have invested literally invested thousands and thousands of dollars in building Harley engines to say nothing about chrome and ecceories and I have easily ten to twelve thousand in my Roadking engine and ecceories. I also have thousands in my Boss Hoss so I know what your talking about but now I'm retired and just don't have the money I had while working . If my Boss trans ever shit the bed I will be looking for parts to rebuild it .
ventury

Post by ventury »

The sump is being redeveloped so to give more ground clearance,the way Tom was talking it should be back in his hands by now.i think a strong new tran sold as a bolt on will be an answer to a lot of us especially here in the EU
The new tran plates won't weld themselves together as before,,,,,,,,,once a higher trans sump with an acceptable ground clearance and providing the same results are achieved (trans temp maintained) then good news,,,,,,,,,BH has been for sale for years,,,,it would need a group of investors not just a sole invested to take it on,a consortium if you will
But what do I know,,,Apart from my Boss and Harley I own and ride a gold wing lol. And I love it

Ps please excuse the poor grammar while traveling on the road I use a kindle book reader to access the net,that and my weary eyes ,plumber fingers,it's like knitting with mits on,,,,iam good at plumbing/ heating though
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think its great news that a trans will be available, especially a good one. The money issue is a much better issue to deal with than the lack of a replacement or the lack of parts to rebuild the Nesco. In my opinion V8 two wheel bikes are not going to made much longer by anyone because of government (EPA) (DOT) etc rules and regs. Trikes will most likely be around for many years as the exhaust and emissions are not as hard to deal with on them. Those of us lucky enough to have V8 two wheelers
will eventually be even a rarer breed than we are today. Someday Boss Hoss bikes will be talked about the way VINCENT BLACK SHADOWS are talked about today.
Attachments
BOSS HOSS.JPG

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
ventury

Post by ventury »

Glad your on the mend friend
,I followed your progress and was pleased it wasn't worse,ride safe as your absence would be sorely missed

And your right,two wheel v8s will be rare,iam lucky to own ride love ( and hate when it won't start) an iconic work of art

John
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

MMy hand is 85% healed, I have no feeling in some of it on the back side. I miss the Boss Hoss, it will be quite a while before it is back to new again but it is being worked on right now. I bought a new Triumph Rocket 3 which I like but can't replace the BH. The guys insurance is not paying me and because there is no big injury the lawyers don't want to take it. The insurance company says that the only witness was my friend and they say he is a biased witness. The driver of the truck is lying but I can't prove it. If I hire a lawyer I have to go to Montana which is 850 miles from me. My medicare took care of most of my medical but it looks like I'm out for the costs to the bike. I did not have any comprehensive because I have all my vehicles covered under an OPERATORS POLICY which has uninsured motorist and PLPD but no comprehensive. I get 6 vehicles a year insured for about 900 dollars so over the last 20 years I saved a lot of money. This was my first accident.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
ventury

Post by ventury »

Sorry to hear the story thus far,maybe it's worth going to Montana ,,,,,or some battle just ain't worth fighting
I know you will choose the right action or no action
The truck driver will have his own Karma no doubt
Just glad your up and running
John
ventury

Post by ventury »

hogv8 wrote:Ya bu t how much ?
Iam ggguuueessing u got ma helpfullll messageeee