Flames

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Flames

Post by Carl La Fong »

My bike was black with some nice flames when I bought it. Due to various modifications, I eventually repainted it black. Today, I had some flames of a different nature. I, once again, found myself stranded on the side of the road. After getting flatbedded home, I tore into it ....... again. I thought it may have had gas in the cylinders, so I pulled the plugs and hit the starter to clear out the engine. Suddenly, the bike, the 5 gallon can of gas, that held all of the gas that I drained from the bike and, most distressingly, my right leg were engulfed in flames. I nearly panicked, before remembering to smother a fire. I grabbed a blanket, that I cover the bike with, and put out my leg. Then I grabbed the hose and put out the bike. The gas can was just burning like a candle at the opening and I just blew out the flame. In all, pretty exciting. All the damage was cosmetic, soot and a melted rubber boot on my clutch booster. As expected, I will be down for a while. I have fought poor running and fuel delivery issues since day one. I have had three fuel pumps, two carb rebuilds, by very reputable guys (not Mike, unfortunately) and it persists. Crappy idle, stumbles off idle, stinky, eye burning exhaust. Some of my cylinders were full of gas when it caught fire. The flames shot out from both banks for 3 feet. I did a compression check and all the holes are good, so I didn't hydrolock and bend a rod. Some good news, at least. In all, a very exciting afternoon. This all came on the heels of my other boneheaded move, earlier the same morning, when I dumped two gallons of water in Lady LaFong's gas tank thinking it was gasoline. Two AAA tows in one day. Once I got all of the offending H20 out of her tank, she was good to go. Ahhhh, but the story doesn't end yet. I needed two tires for my truck. I tell my guy that I think my front end needs work. He goes over to the truck, while it's up on the jacks and rocks the wheel back and forth an inch at the top. Bad ball joints. We can fix ya' up for only 1100 bux. No way is the Po' Boy shelling out that kinda dough. I go to Rockauto and order 500 bux worth of genuine Moog parts. Ball joints, A arm bushings, tie rod ends, sway bar links and bushings.
I'm going to be real busy in the next few weeks...... or months, that's for sure
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Tx Outlaw

Re: Flames

Post by Tx Outlaw »

Just glad you're ok, Carl! Sounds like it could have gone very bad really quick........ Hope you get everything back in working order soon.
Chuck Clark
2015 Baby Hoss (LS300)
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Should be a snap for a boy genius...Just kidding.Sorry to hear of your unfortunate " excitement" ..I am sure you will have everything in working order soon..Good luck and hope your wallet doesn't get hurt too bad.
phpBB [video]
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Sound like at least you got a "happy ending" to the story..lol..shit could have gone sideways real real fast and you could have been bar-b-q'd...Big guy looking after you...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bad luck is just in the air! I didn't have the right hose clamp on my gas line... But didn't know until all 5 gallons of gas were in the tanks. At which point the valleys in the intake manifold were full and starting to run down the bellhousing, followed the vacuum line down to my clutch booster and covered my floor and my lift in about a gallon of gas. Now... I don't have a petcock on the tank at all... So to change out the clamp I had to pull the gas line apart... Hold the "gushing nipple" in 1 hand and try to put 2 worm clamps on the line with the other... And this is all happening with the tank about 3" above the frame right at the back of the manifold where they decided to put a crossmember to hold the 2 "frame rails" together... excellent placement if you have gas going everywhere and 1 hand to work with.

In the end - I, nor the bike, started on fire - so cheers to that!

Hey La Fong - would disconnecting the coil have prevented you're adventure? Was it the plugs that you left hanging in their boots the source of ignition? That is how I envision it... And at least 1 of them was grounded. If not, please share!
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Disconnecting the ignition would have prevented the whole debacle.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Puff

Post by Puff »

LaFong,
GLAD YOU are okay !!
"Things" can be fixed.
Bill
Bill Van Sant

2crzy

Post by 2crzy »

My advise to all BH riders is to get rid of all your rubber hose lines and hose clamps and replace them with braided steel and air craft fittings. Get a fuel leak on a hot day...... I cant even imagine riding down the road in Flames!!!! Those rubber hoses and clamps are junk, should never be installed on a bike. I changed all mine when I got my BH. Also changed the fuel rails, regulator, filter etc. Problem solved with vapor lock as well.
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

Just happened to another guy I know. Glad you're alright man.
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!