Daytona Report

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

Daytona Report

Post by Els »

Just got back from 8 days in Daytona. I'll give you guys some details but will apologize in advance for no pics. Too hard to do the camera thing when riding a new chopper and no bags, backpack, etc. Had to priortize keys, wallet, weapon, gum, business cards, phone numbers, reading glasses , comb, phone, with the few pockets I had ha ha. ;)

Weather was pretty good with 2 late afternoon and evening exceptions. Crowds were reportedly down with the news stations blaming the economy. In Daytona that's always a relief as hotels and restaurants become more available. The traffic still sucked especially the last few days.

Cops were as brutal as ever. Many buds got ticketed and some were just bullshit. A1A down the beach was especially bad. Burnouts or 5 mph over and there were blue lights. Gals quit showing their tits much because they get hauled off to jail or at the least a fine. Daytona law enforcement has been pretty unfriendly now for a number of years so no surprise. :x

I hung at the V8Chopper tent a bunch as Stan and his crew were ultra friendly and most V8 guys stopped by there at one point or another. I was riding regularly with Steve Barr, Chris Capp, Wild Bill, and David Ward. David has some wild bikes (2 V8 bikes, 2 V8 trikes) and he rides the rubber off them. Great guy and very generously had me riding all of his while mine was being tweaked. It's a good sign someone's really cool when they keep encouraging you to smoke the tires off THEIR bike. 8-)

Stan hosted a great barbeque with David's help and there were at least 50 people. The weather was really bad with severe thunderstorms and hail and tornado warnings both before and after the barbeque. The God's were good to us because it cleared at meal time and stayed good for at least an hour or more. :shock: Can't name everyone there but lots of really good folks.

Got to meet two Brits, Jimbo and his cousin Mathew from London. Really wild guys who know how to have a good time and are getting ready to pull the trigger on some V8Chopper bikes and trikes. Stan's inventory of bikes at the show were exceptional including a $100k custom with a 360 rear tire and lots of custom "stuff", the Jack Daniels and another fuel injected bike going to Norway, and of course the best...a deep dark candy burgundy chopper with a 520 hp DART motor....mine. 8-)

Some other really beautiful bikes such as Ricky Redtro's. One of the nicest big block Boss bikes I've seen. The SW Florida guys came Thursday a.m. and the riding really started getting interesting. Gary had his smallblock blower bike without the blower but did have a 175 hp nitrous hit. When we traded bikes so he could ride my new one, he turned on the juice suggesting I use it. Forgot what a violent little mutha that bike is. There was a thread on the other site talking about BB vs SB. Here's one SB that will clearly whip the shit out of all but the nastiest (and modified) BB's. Lots of fun. A group of us, David, Wild Bill, Gary, Chris, Rick V. went to the Cabbage Patch but missed the cole slaw wrestling "ladies" by a day. Damn! :twisted:

Crazy Charlie from Naples was there with his Mad Max 600 c.i. Donovan. The bike makes 1,100 h.p...no kidding. Has a big scoop coming out of the middle of the tank, painted a gun metal matt black, two big scuba sized nitrous bottles sticking straight up in back. Charlie regularly busts belts and Daytona was no exception. Drove by the BH display on the infield of the speedway, twisted it up and BANG!, there goes a belt. He got it fixed in Stan's trailer and was mobile again soon. The bike and Charlie are a trip.

I'm trying to get Russ to post his nasty pictures here. Perhaps Ricky will point him in this direction. He posted one on the other site but couldn't do the good ones as a result of the policy there. I posted he would be welcome to post them here and hopefully he will. :o

I saw a bunch of other really good folks. Jack D., Jack P., Brian Ward and friend Jennifer (who looked really cool piloting David's nasty DART trike), Stu, the list is endless. I was disappointed not having hooked up with Marco Mike Kelly. We had talked via phone but missed one another. He had a few bikes set up off Main Street and I kept going there too early in the day and looking behind where he was. I really wanted to see Mike and the bikes. I'll look forward to seeing him either in Myrtle (anyone here going?) or back in SW Florida in a few months. I got to rub shoulders with many more than mentioned here but old age and feeble mind prevent my mentioning everyone.

Partnering up with Steve was great as usual. Steve has a beautiful condo setup on the beach same place as Jack D. and a few others and it was a great place to stay. Steve was really a friend when it came to some shuttle needs with the truck. Great partner. :)

Again, I apologize for not taking pics. You all have seen the bikes and I know you just wanted to see the babes anyhow. That by the way was another issue this time as there was some recent legislation that required some of the favorite watering holes to require the dancers wear bikinis rather than bearing skin. Hmmm, I'll say nothing as I have nothing good to say about that. :twisted:

In conclusion, much of Daytona this year was about my picking up the new chopper and so I was pretty preoccupied along those lines. Didn't go riding or exploring as much as a result. Had to take it a bit easier than normal due to break-in and lack of being familar with the bike. It turned out to be incredible both looks and performance. It's quite a bit more snotty than a 502 as far as sound and lope. I'll explain personally to you Geez! It is the quickest bike I've personally been on outside Gary's blower chopper. As far as street performance, Gerry in Atlanta had raced his 383 stroker chopper (425 hp) against a Boss bigblock and beat it (according to Gerry). David raced Gerry with his big DART and blew him away. This suggests the 520 hp DART is faster than the Boss 502? Having had 4 bigblock Boss bikes, I can attest it to being a fact by way of the butt dyno. This bike is not only making a LEGITIMATE 520 hp, it weighs less than 940 lbs and is set up to make the power very early on. Richard Maskin and the DART folks, Stan and the V8Chopper team have a real winner here. I couldn't be happier. Stan did everything I used to have to polish in chrome. Intake, head covers, Holley breather, all brackets and small parts chromed. I hate polishing and love the look of the chrome. The 300 Avon tire gets blown away on request and you don't have to be into the 4 barrel to do so. The bike is truly exciting and beautiful.

That's the whole ugly story. For those guys I got to visit with and enjoy your company, thanks and hope to see you soon. Also hope to meet many more I haven't had the pleasure of hooking up with. Best,

Elliot
Last edited by Els on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Els

Re: Daytona Report

Post by Els »

Thanks Mike! I was going to shine it up and take some pics tomorrow. Like a proud Daddy, I'll take entirely too many and you guys will see more than you care to!

Elliot
Image Image Image
Crazy Rick

Post by Crazy Rick »

Els, Gerry was running with Bernie AND HIS WIFE. As for me I have never raced anyone--ever. My thing is sliding sideways with the tire up in smoke. When we did play around I had just installed a new tire and had the belt to loose, it was slipping and I could not get on it hard. Gerry knows this.

I ride around with an air compresser, tools, tire repairs kits, three pair of gloves, leather jacket, neck warmer, hats, Glock,cell phone, carmera, etc, all stored inside my bike. I like to think it's a Touring Bike with 500+ hp. How much stuff will yours carry? Your Chopper (much lighter-no shocks, no storage, etc.) SHOULD be faster than a touring bike. At least up to 130mph or so, but what is going to happen when I am in 2nd doing WELL over 160mph? Hell, I've topped out 1st gear standing on the damn seat. Thousands of people and hundreds of bikers have seen me do it many times. IS that ONE speed going to do that? Hmmmmm! Also mine went well over 50 thousand miles and SIX years on the trans. Yours? Gerry's? Think about it! ;)

I love all v8 bikes, in perticular, your Choppers and try not to say anything bad about ANY of them. These are to very different bikes for different missions. The Boss Does some stuff better and the Chopper does some stuff better. I would love to have a V8 chopper sitting next to my Boss. As far as the race thing, 10.1 ain't shit....1000cc jap bikes are in the nines bone stock. You would think that a v8 would be much quicker.... sometimes it's better to let the awesome looks do the talking as the speed ain't what most people would think it is.

Someone, somewhere, is always faster, so be careful about the smack talk or the Boss guys will send 1000hp, big car tire Marv after ya. ;)

PS: your chopper looks awesome and has to be very fast, be cool. As for Gerry, I'll be having a talk with him soon. :lol:

Ride it anyway ya want to.
CR

NOW THIS is what I call "SNOTTY" 8-)
8-) 8-)
here's a link to a Snotty little burnout video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORn8WJXj_jo
Only those who have been OVER the edge, know where the edge actually is. The rest of you are just guessing !!
MY Retirement Plan is to "DIE BEFORE RETIREMENT"

CR http://photos.v8bikeservice.com/
Els

Post by Els »

Rick,

Can't argue with any of it. I spent half my time at Stan's tent comparing Boss to Chopper and always covered the riding more than a 300 mile a day aspect where the Boss would clearly be more comfortable and more accomodating. Same with suspension although I've found the chopper to be very kind relative to ride as suprising as it may seem. As far as baggage, I've chosen to carry what will fit in jeans pockets. :cry: Having had a total of 7 Boss bikes/trikes and now 2 choppers, I have a pretty good feel for both. There's no doubt that in spite of both being V8 bikes, there are apples to oranges comparisons that need to be considered. I too love them both.

The current version choppers with the 24 tooth sprocket are fully capable of 150+ mph and we suspect the DART motors to be capable beyond 150. Stan is also making available a 26 tooth which will raise that bar significantly.

My world is more track and sprint related and the DART equipped motor excels there. As far as the Jap numbers you refer to, the mfg's may put claims at 9 seconds but I can tell you real world that's not so. Been hanging at the track too many years with a few 'Busas in the garage and currently a GSX-R1000 Suzuki which is faster than the 'Busa. Unless you have an air shifter, extended swingarm or a number of other goodies, it's low 10 seconds. I might add that the Boss fails here in 1/4 times due to having to shift and the need to get off the throttle to do so. It's also why the chopper is faster with most motors up to the 140 mph mark because of it not having to shift. We relegated racing the Boss at the 1/8th mile track because of this. Yes, a top end contest (no thanks) would strongly favor the Boss because of overdrive. I've been at the 160+ mark a few times on by ex bigblocks and it's not a place I'm comfortable. I have to take exception to the "10.1 ain't shit" comment Rick as no one I know save some of the Minnesota guys have done any better. David Ward having done so on a bone stock bike right off the trailer with stock tire and no practice runs or nitrous or anything else is extremely admirable.

The "smack" gets some good conversation (as with your post) and a spirit of competition going and is all in good fun without any harm meant. Any bike, whether another V8, Jap bike, whoever or whatever that can post good times, get out there and let 'er rip, and smile when they get whipped or whip someone is very cool in my book. 8-)

As for Gerry, he tells me he kicks the ass of everyone who's anyone. Any Boss, any Jap bike, top fuel dragsters, etc, ha ha. Don't give the ol' guy too hard a time. :lol:

It was great meeting you. Hope we have more time to ride together next go around. Best,

Elliot
Image Image Image
Crazy Rick

Post by Crazy Rick »

yes ,10s are good, but for 50k$ and 500hp it's not so good. the kids on the 9k bikes with a few mods will kick our butts. I would like to see your chopper with a big car tire on it, now that would scare the hell out of the rocket kids.

Stan started your bike up for me before you got to town. WOW! It does sound gooood! That was the only thing that the choppers were missing----sound! Now If Boss would make there new small block SOUND right, they might have something. But I still like the BBs.

I did not know that you are geared so high, that's cool. As for you not feeling it at high speed...I know what your saying, but I LOVE that, I'm about to die feeling. :lol:

If I hit the lotto, Stan will be the first to know. ;)

Enjoy your new ride. She's awesome!

All in good fun. ;)
CR
Only those who have been OVER the edge, know where the edge actually is. The rest of you are just guessing !!
MY Retirement Plan is to "DIE BEFORE RETIREMENT"

CR http://photos.v8bikeservice.com/