UPDATE ON LS-3 485 ECM TUNE

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
craig haymaker

UPDATE ON LS-3 485 ECM TUNE

Post by craig haymaker »

First off, I apologize if this posted twice.
This morning I picked up my trike from Gabe Salazar @ Boss Hoss West / Horsepower Connection/ The EFI Store here in Lake Havasu, AZ.
I was instructed to "RIDE IT", on the highway and around town with lots of starts & stops in the beautiful 100 deg. weather here in LK. Havasu. Then I am to go back to their shop tomorrow morning and give my report !
I hesitate to give a pre-mature report here at this current stage but : Mr. Gabe Salazar is "ONE HELL OF A TUNER" !
IE: So far = great results! And my idle is lower and MORE cammy (is that a word)?
I am going to ask Gabe in the morning, that we please extend my "panties-in-the-wind" results test, for a couple more days ! As I will be heading across the Mojave Desert floor tomorrow (I love that ride), then heading North up the Kalifornia coast. We'll get two different worlds, and if their program works as flawless as today's, we have a keeper !
I will update this post in a couple of days, somewhere around San Fran.
Craig H.
3FOR2

Re: UPDATE ON LS-3 485 ECM TUNE

Post by 3FOR2 »

Good news. Thanks Craig.
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Updated correction here !
The best news first, Brian Macey's cancer battle is going EXCELLENT, we're hoping he is heading towards home plate !
Little did I realize this, but this non quitter of a guy, was involved with our (my) LS-485 ECM tune, from his bedside!!
Ok, I (we) owe thanks to both Brian & Gabe for something Boss Hoss could not have done, if they haven't had the foresight to bring Horsepower Connections on board !
Craig H.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Finial update : After offering my trike to Boss Hoss through Boss Hoss West in Lk. Havasu, to resolve the ECM tune issues, I am here to tell ya : After 1000+ miles of post tune riding, my LS-3 485 hp. trike has never ran better ! Engine speed drops correctly now, when coming off the throttle and goes into a very nice and lower idle RPM cam lope (EVERY TIME) ! Shift points are better and my gas mileage went from a highest of 20 to 26.7 mpg (yes it was that bad).
A big thank you to Boss Hoss and the professional tuners at Boss Hoss West, Craig H.
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Craig, great news and thanks for sharing. The cats at Horsepower Connection / The EFI Store are among the best in the country; I had zero doubts regarding the outcome, just knew they'd do you right and that you'd be very pleased.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

Yee friggin hah!
Thanks for the update, Craig, and thanks Rick, for what you are doing!
Pat.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Hey Pat, have you done the ECM exchange yet ?
If so, we would be interested in your input !
Craig H.
Tx Outlaw

Post by Tx Outlaw »

That is great news! I'll be glad when they get around to the LS300 as mine has idle down and acceleration hesitation issues and gets 22mpg at best. I'd be very happy with better mileage and the bike running the way it should!
Chuck Clark
2015 Baby Hoss (LS300)
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

craig haymaker wrote:Hey Pat, have you done the ECM exchange yet ?
If so, we would be interested in your input !
Craig H.
Sorry Craig, been busy - I still work for a living... Not yet. I guess I'm waiting for Rick to announce the upgrade program is up and running at Dealers and Service Centers... or did I miss an announcement?
Pat.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

I haven't heard anything either Pat, on this upgraded program ? Craig H.
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

As far as I know you can send in your ecu to get updated to the current tune/exchange program already. I will find out the status tomorrow and find out for you guys.
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
http://www.horsepowerconnection.com
http://www.theefistore.com
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Craig, Do you have any more information on this topic? I need to do this on my 2012 Trike with the LS-3 485 HP. I sent a note to Brian Massey and asked about it. He responded that I need a fresh unlocked ecu from BH before he can reprogram it for the 485 HP program. Can you tell me what the model is of this ECU and do I need to specifically buy it from BH? Thanks. Tim
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Hi Tim, our ECM is a standard GM E-67 unit. But before you run out and spend a few hundred dollars, there is more to this issue and here is what I know.
The ECM run ability issues "IS A BOSS HOSS PROBLEM, PERIOD", and could pose the risk of injury or death, under the right (wrong) circumstances !
I've seen issues "come with" a factory replacement ECM, which obviously shouldn't need to be explained why !
But the more interesting issues I've witnessed, are "after" an OK replacement ECM has ran awhile !
This second scenario I was told by Horsepower Connections, was due to incorrect factory harness wiring, causing damaging voltage spikes to the ECM !
The get-a-round "patch job" is to use the "kill switch" differently!!
- When "shutting off" the engine = use kill sw. FIRST then the key.
- When "starting" the engine = use the key FIRST then the kill switch.
Not using this method could eventually scramble your
newly programmed unlocked $300 ECM - AGAIN !
Now on the occasions that I get confused with the "patch job" SOP, I think oh shit I may have scrambled some programming again, LOL !
So Tim, Please do this : Request an in-locked ECM exchange, pay postage only, if anything. Send it to Bryan Macey for programming.
This last summer, I had offered to "donate" my 2014 trike to Boss Hoss via Horsepower Connections, to retune and calibrate this 485 hp. ECM, both for me and the guys with the same engine ! Where the hell did this "ECM exchange program" disappear to ?
Cost me $700 labor + RT travel from WA. State. They now have a great working LS-3 485 operating program, and your download cost "should be" little to nothing !!
Good luck Tim, and please keep us posted as to your outcome. Craig H.
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

The PCM is an E67 ecm but is loaded with a specific trailblazer operating system. We can offer a new PCM and a tune but it wont be as a postage only deal. Craig did bring his bike down to dyno and tune it and we are greatful for that but nothing in life is free lol.

The shut down procedure is something Boss Hoss has not covered with owners because I don't think they really knew about the problem before we got involved. The KILL switch must be turned off before the key switch is shut off. This properly shuts down the PCM and bike. When turning on the bike just reverse the procedure. Key on then kill on then start.

Quite a few guys would never use their KILL switch and leaving it on keeps the PCM live at least partially.

These were a few reasons we switched to the Holley when Ricky was owner. Now Boss Hoss has decided to go a different route and we are not involved in the new ecus, I personally think they made a bad choice but it isn't my decision.

If you guys need any help with the older LS OEM PCMs we have the updated tunes available and also any help with the Holley none of this is going to be free just to be up front.

Thanks Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection
TheEFIStore.com
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

<<The shut down procedure is something Boss Hoss has not covered with owners because I don't think they really knew about the problem before we got involved. The KILL switch must be turned off before the key switch is shut off. This properly shuts down the PCM and bike. When turning on the bike just reverse the procedure. Key on then kill on then start.>>

This is really good to be reminded of. I forget who first told me this lo these many years ago (when all Bosses wore carbs anyway) but I have tried to faithfully execute this sequence every time.

It's helped (for me) by the fact the kill switch is on the bars, of course, and the key switch is semi-behind-me; whoever first mentioned it, told me that starting up and shutting down this way prevents a lot of electrical glitchery.
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Thanks Brian, for clarifying your current standing with the factory. That's disappointing to me, as you have really got my trike's 485 hp. program dialed in perfectly ! The whole precedent behind donating my trike to Boss Hoss (Ricky), was to prefect their shitty program, both for myself and others with the same configuration ! So sad that the factory will NOW not stand behind their ECM issues and their exchange program ! For sure Horsepower Connections can not "eat" the factory's broken promises, You "have to" charge for your service ! Speaking of which, my money spent with Brian, was the best money put on this trike to date, period !
And as you may recall Brian, I had mentioned that I wanted to sell the trike, once you "fixed it", as I was fed up with it's EFI issues ! But after I picked it up in Lake Havasu, it has been an ongoing LOVE AFFAIR ALL OVER AGAIN !! Thanks again Brian, Craig Haymaker
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

Thats great Craig, I am happy gor you and had hoped that would be the case. Many happy miles to you.
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
JAT

Post by JAT »

Is this just a LS3 Trike issue ? I have a 2010 LS3 bike. Will a reprogram make a difference on a bike? Thanks.
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

All of the bike and trike LS customers have complained about the throttle dead spot, if yours is fine dont worry about it. There were two systems one was no MAF in front of the throttle body and one was map sensor. The map sensor PCM was an earlier setup and I am told it worked a little better.
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Brian, did you have a chance to tune a LS-300 yet? My 2015 LS-300 was running well and all of a sudden is now beginning to have idle issues and it "pops" when turned off with the key. I wish someone would have explained the proper shutdown procedure earlier, 'cause I tend to be a rule follower. If I "spiked" my ECM, what would you recommend?
BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

I have not had one here to dyno yet. I would cover the normal stuff. take off the MAF that is where the PCM gets it's fueling information from, make sure there is no dust or grit along the sensor. Look close because it does not take much to do this. You can clean with carb clean and let dry, if you want to blow it off do so gently because the small wires are delicate.

Next check along the throttle body to blade clearance, the blade gets some grit or oil residue between the blade and bore, just take a rag and wipe it out with the blade open and around the blade.

Those are the 2 main issues that can be just a maintenance issue.

If those are not it and you have not vac leak then the issue can be PCM. But if it ran good before I would look at those first.

past that maybe a coil going bad or plug wire can do the same thing.
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

craig haymaker wrote:... But the more interesting issues I've witnessed, are "after" an OK replacement ECM has ran awhile !
This second scenario I was told by Horsepower Connections, was due to incorrect factory harness wiring, causing damaging voltage spikes to the ECM !
The get-a-round "patch job" is to use the "kill switch" differently!!
- When "shutting off" the engine = use kill sw. FIRST then the key.
- When "starting" the engine = use the key FIRST then the kill switch.
Not using this method could eventually scramble your
newly programmed unlocked $300 ECM - AGAIN ...
I'm not an electronics guy, but several years ago everyone bought surge protectors for their computers to prevent damaging voltage spikes. They appeared to be small enough to fit into an ordinary power strip. Do you think it would be possible to take the surge protector out of the power strip and place it ahead of the ECM? It might sound like belt and suspenders but I've been known to get confused from time to time (especially if malted beverages are involved).

Secondly, I have an LS-300. Brian estimates his labor to do the dyno work would be around $700. Would any other LS-300 owners want to go together to get a tune? If two of us threw in together it wouldn't be too painful. Gosh, If we had four interested LS-300 owners, It'd be a super bargin.
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

What do you guys do regarding the BH recommendation to use 93 Octane in the LS3 485HP? I can't find 93 Octane anywhere. Do you just use 91 Octane, or are you using a Octane Booster? If you use a Booster do think it helps at all with minimizing the impact of the ECM tuning problems?
Last edited by BossHossMan on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

The Proper start and shut down sequence has been around forever. Curtis told me the first time I ever sat on a Boss Hoss and it has been covered on both Forums when conversing with new owners. I believed it to be fairly common knowledge that the alternators would spike the system if the kill switch wasn't used.
On a brighter note, I was told in Daytona that wiring on the new bikes have been changed so that it doesn't matter anymore.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

Dennis, please explain yourself about the kill switch. I've heard people talk about it before, but never remember reading about it on the forums. Could you refresh my memory? LOL