THREAD EDIT: Squeezed Out of Lane

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
The Mindless Philosopher

THREAD EDIT: Squeezed Out of Lane

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

***** MAJOR EDIT (a day or two after posting, then re-reading and realizing how I came across) *****

The driver of a pickup truck with Harley-Davidson stickers on the back window saw me in his mirrors but came into my lane on top of me anyway, after first hesitating then changing his mind. I had to ease off the throttle and get behind him.

This shocked me because I have not been squeezed out of a lane by another rider commuting in his alternate mode of transportation before. I have come to expect it from everyone else. Don't know why I figured someone who appeared to also ride would do that to another rider?

There was no road range or dirty looks involved on my part or his. Just one of those things, surprising as it was.

What can I say? I'm still extremely green to this scene. Only 11,000 miles under my belt since I discovered the joys of riding late in life.

***** END OF MAJOR EDIT *****
Last edited by The Mindless Philosopher on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: Where is the "Brotherhood?"

I reckon I came across as a whiner? Just had to vent a little. I'll probably end up deleting this thread.

Keep your eyes open out there and don't try to run over other riders.
The Mindless Philosopher

EDIT

I feel like an ass for the way I worded the original post. I've gone back and made edits.
Last edited by The Mindless Philosopher on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

The Mindless Philosopher wrote:I reckon I came across as a whiner? Just had to vent a little. I'll probably end up deleting this thread.

Keep your eyes open out there and don't try to run over other riders.

Yep, you sort of kind of ... on second thought you DO. "DICKS" come in every single variety of rider and non rider! Its a courtesy thing that this country and world are lacking. Makes no difference if you ride a Boss Hoss, Harley, Honda, Yamaha, BMW, two wheels, three wheels, or four wheels etc etc ... get my point?

I just lost TWO great friends and neighbors when some selfish 18yo ran them over last week. It doesn't matter if the driver was a rider or not a rider they are DEAD - there are SIX kids left without parents (three of the kids are severely handicapped).
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian »

My driving instructor once gave me som advice. He said "always assume everybody else on the road is an asshole. Most won't disappoint!!!
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

When I got my drivers license my dad told me: it does not help you when the engraving on your tombstone says: here's the guy who had the way of right.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Puff

Post by Puff »

Unfortunately, "Might makes right".
Even if we are "In The Right",
size matters. Any car or truck
outweighs us.
They tap us, and we're down.
If we're down, we are definitely
at least hurt, if not dead.
And now we really have to watch out
for texting drivers!

Peter, your father gave you good advice !
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

knockdolian wrote:My driving instructor once gave me som advice. He said "always assume everybody else on the road is an asshole. Most won't disappoint!!!
L

Assume th e y are all out to kill you is more like it !
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

hogv8 wrote:
knockdolian wrote:My driving instructor once gave me som advice. He said "always assume everybody else on the road is an asshole. Most won't disappoint!!!
L

Assume th e y are all out to kill you is more like it !
That is exactly what I assume Jack....exactly!! it is a game of Bumper Cars and I am trying NOT to get hit..lol
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
The Mindless Philosopher

V-MAN wrote:
The Mindless Philosopher wrote:I reckon I came across as a whiner?

Yep, you sort of kind of ... on second thought you DO.
Yeah, I figured. Had that weird feeling I couldn't shake. Thanks for confirming V-MAN, and thanks to everyone for setting me straight. I'm still a little naïve to some things (obviously). Lesson learned.
GordonBH

Re: THREAD EDIT: Squeezed Out of Lane

Post by GordonBH »

My wife (who doesn't drive) often says "how did you know he(she) was going to do that?" I say years of being the one who would be worse off. I don't trust their indicators and many don't/can't use them properly, drifting lanes and at junctions.

Makes me a better car driver for sure. I may have the right of way but I'm always defensive and will give in if the other is going to keep on regardless.

Admittedly I have seen a marked increase of being noticed factor on the Hoss over my Harleys, I run headlamp on dip but edged up to really shine in daytime, front amber running lights (illegal in the UK) and 2 halogen spots.
Gordon from England