Wow :)
what year and engine is that ?
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
AR

Re: Its Honker new to the board pictures of my recent project

Post by AR »

man that is some full-on 8-) fabrication. wingman wants to know the engine, i'm interested in the frame...looks like an upspect'd pre 2001??
honker

Post by honker »

The engine is a 548 ci Merlin the bike is a 2000
okie

Post by okie »

Hey ,how is that oil cooler attached to the radiator working out for you?
honker

Post by honker »

The cooler has been on for 15000 miles so far so good.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Welcome Honker!What a nice bike You have!!! :o 8-) 8-) 8-)
Els

Post by Els »

Beautiful ride. If you did the work, you should be especially proud. ;)

I'm unfamilar with the Merlin. Would you mind providing details as to build components and output?

Really beautiful!

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
honker

Post by honker »

Yes everthing that is changed is handmade in my garage at home otherwise it just wouldnt be fun for me.The Merlin is a all alluminum big block 548CI with elderbrock heads and intake.The lower end is built to blower specs so if I desire I could put a 671 blower on it.(maybe this coming winter)With the changes I have made this winter should be in the 600hp range.
Els

Post by Els »

Honker,

I went to a show last weekend and ended up with "Best in Show" (bikes). The competition wasn't stiff (understated) but nonetheless, it was a 1st place trophy. I personally couldn't get excited because I did nothing to my current bike but write a check. I did call Stan at V8Choppers and told him HE should be proud for doing the design and build. You personally taking that bike first pictured to the finished product is something where you can be very proud of the end product. Good job!

Motor specs sound quite impressive. I've heard of the Merlins of course but didn't know what they were all about. A 548 c.i. aluminum motor is awesome unto itself. A very good friend of mine is putting a 671 on a smallblock Chevy and it's going in a chopper. He's had a Weiand (B&M) 144 on it with a 175 horse nitrous shot and it's quite amazing. I can only imagine the 671 on that big motor. :shock:

Thanks for the info. Congratulations and enjoy.

Elliot
Image Image Image
honker

Post by honker »

Thanks Elliot for the kind words but trust me there is nothing special about me I sell insurance for a living.Anyone here has the ability to surprise themselves if they can just get past the fear of making a mistake.Eventually the mistakes start to go away and you can say "Hey I made that" the last grade I finished in school was the 9th grade.What Im trying to say is if I can do it anyone can!
Els

Post by Els »

honker wrote:Thanks Elliot for the kind words but trust me there is nothing special about me I sell insurance for a living.Anyone here has the ability to surprise themselves if they can just get past the fear of making a mistake.Eventually the mistakes start to go away and you can say "Hey I made that" the last grade I finished in school was the 9th grade.What Im trying to say is if I can do it anyone can!
Ok Honker, now your going to have to take a "BULLSHIT!" from me. No mean mouthing "I sell insurance" allowed! I just marked my 30th year with the same outfit doing the same, hee hee! :lol:

You are so right with your "get past the fear of making a mistake" remark. Of course I've gone the opposite route at times and perhaps should have had some fear as it would have kept me from screwing up so bad.

I'm not going to let you underestimate yourself though. Few could start with the plain ol' ugly 2000 model and finish with your end product. I hope you make it to one of the bike get togethers I'm at. I'd enjoy seeing and hearing that Merlin up close. Regards,

Elliot
Image Image Image
honker

Post by honker »

Whoops! open mouth insert foot!!! I guess what I meant to say was because I sell insurance I can do this stuff! Yea thats it thats what I meant to say!
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

My father always said "The sign of a good engineer is one that can explain to his boss why an idea he was sure was going to work didn't " I know I've had a few ideas over the years that didn't work .

Jack