V8Chopper service?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

Re: V8Chopper service?

Post by Els »

WM,

At the risk of oversimplifying here, I'll give you a few thumbnail versions answering your questions regarding the tranny. I welcome any of the other V8Chopper guys to check in and enhance them (Dave, Chris, Neil, etc)...

There is no frame to split, none of the grusome BS I used to go through on the Boss. The frame on my big block had been split 8 times. Charlie during the same period 11 times. Yes we were rough on them, yes we raced them, no we didn't figure we'd have to baby the shit out of them and no one, dealers, factory, etc, let us know that high rpm shifts were taboo. There's been much learned and some hardware enhancements on the Boss since then but back to the subject at hand.

The chopper gear set can be exposed by removing the back plate to the tranny. This is very easily accomplished by removing back wheel and there it sits fully accessible. Although Stan is using a new ring & pinion gear that is much stronger than original versions, one could access the gear set easily if there were a need. I will tell you that there has been a LOT of significant HP trying purposefully to queer these new gears and we have all been unsuccessful. I don't know how much more can be done to them outside what David Ward does with his 639 hp chopper or Gary pouring 625 HP (with nitrous) to his. They have been street and track raced without mercy and zero problems.

I haven't personally had to go in and do any tranny pump or clutch work but again, removal of the entire tranny is a rather painless and quick process. Again, splitting the frame and redoing all the electrical on the Boss is something we don't have to deal with on the chopper. I have had to adjust pump pressure and that is VERY easily done. Remove an allen bolt from the right side, screw in a gauge, check the pressure at idle. If adjustment were needed, remove an allen bolt from the left side, use an allen wrench to adjust the allen adjuster screw, reread pressure 'til appropriate, screw both bolts back. All done. A 5 minute procedure.

We don't use a belt but rather a chain. I have had zero problems with mine and chain replacement when necessary will be a quick, no problem effort. New chains do stretch and the adjustment is a few allen wrenches and a garage, parking lot, or trailer and about 5 minutes total if that. We did David's the other day knowing we were going to give it hell and it was a 3 minute process. The chains are a sealed o-ring and don't throw any oil. I love them personally. I broke 2 belts on my bigblock Boss and it was a pain in the balls to change.

I use the BH as a reference or comparison as that's what most of us had prior to the V8Chopper and we suffered through these experiences. Again, not throwing any mud just using this reference for comparison sake.

The V8Chopper is a much more simple, better engineered piece of eqpt with respect to the above mentioned fixes.

Els

Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
NcChopper

Post by NcChopper »

WM,

Adding a little bit to Els post...I did in fact change my torque converter a while back. After you get the tranny ready to come out (removing all the bolts, right side header, starter, tc bolts) I had it out of the bike in about 5 minutes by myself. Stan gave me some tips before hand and it went smooth. It takes a little twisting and turning but it's easy. You just wrap the frame real good to avoid damage.

Chris
Els

Post by Els »

WM,

I didn't get a service manual but I got something better. Any questions I have had (very few), I call up Oklahoma and they would walk me right through a process. Having had 5 Bosses and now my 2nd V8Chopper, I can testify that they are infinitely easier to work on, much better engineering. I think you'll hear the same from numerous others who have had both. This is not a slam dunk on BH because I have a chopper right now but a honest opinion (which is worth 2 cents) because I've had some of both.

I don't want to open any can of worms or fuel fires but I have been reading on the other site about rides that are punctuated with too many break downs, failed parts, and emergency repairs. Seems as if Adrian and Tommy weren't coming to the rescue out west, there would be a number of bikes on the side of the road or broke down on trailers. I know there are those that go cross country and have zero problems but reading the different threads and posts, there are way too many incidents. Although I enjoyed the touring aspects of my Bosses conceptually, it almost always ended in sitting on the side of the road having someone run down parts or await a trailer when there was a group of Bosses riding.

I had either a Harley, Yamaha or ultimately a BMW LT for serious cross country or touring combined with reliability. If one were to do a study and calculate the percentage of mishaps mechanically, I don't see the Boss as a reliable cross country or touring machine. I do think they're great cruisers or hot rods. Anyone who likes being broke down or having to turn wrenches would hate the HD, Yammie, Honda or BMW. Damn things just keep on going.

I'll also say the chopper isn't my flavor for touring or cross country because of inherent design but it wasn't intended to be or sold as such. All this said, a Harley bagger, Goldwing, or BMW K1200LT for the serious stuff and the V8Chopper for the hot rod is as good as it gets in my book. That is taking into account my hot rod riding is solo. I know many could make a great case for the BH being the right flavor for 2 up although I know some pretty happy chopper riders doing 2 up.

There I go starting shit again. Perhaps there will be some good feedback defending either or throwing stones or wanting to kick my ass.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Tom

Post by Tom »

Els..... Thanks for the kind words. And.. Very well stated. I agree 100%
okie

Post by okie »

Els,I agree 100%,I have said that many a time and took flak.When you want to make the miles throw your ass on a Harley and go, when you want to fool around get on the V8.The guy that bought mine was always calling me thanking me for the good maintenace on it,he rode it home 1400 miles no problems,they started after he was home awhile,one of the problems was the wheel bearing filled with rust,still can't figure that one out,and his water pump went out,bike had about 10000 miles at that time,he is sure enjoying it though.I just don't have the time for constant maintenace anymore.Just doing good finding time to ride.