Necessity is the mutha of invention!

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
AR

Necessity is the mutha of invention!

Post by AR »

Side stand spring replacement!

ever done it by yourself?..I hadn't up until 20 minutes ago. I knew it was going to be tricky cause the dealer said so & said I need a 'hook of wire with bla bla bla...' about then i switched off cause that's what I'm like - you cant tell me anything. so there I am on Christmas day with a house full of well meaning but next to useless girly girls wondering how to stretch that spring an inch and over the lug thingy's by myself. :idea: ...get a hook of wire and fix it to the floor (or some other immovable object and just straighten up your bike and roll her forward ever so gently until 'pop' in it goes like a bought one. Takes a little trial an error to align everything and probably bikers have done like this a million times before but I thought I was pretty clever...until WM's post directly below. :roll: .

Aussie 'well sprung' Rob.
Attachments
IMG01966.jpg
Oldun

Re: Necessity is the mutha of invention!

Post by Oldun »

Merry Christmas Rob! and that tip goes into the book for sure!
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Great Idea Rob , Sorta like pulling a kids tooth with a string tied to a door knob and tell them to back up slowly . :lol: :lol:

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Hahaha...Rob, that's one good idea!!! I like it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Olaf
Puff

Post by Puff »

Hey Rob,

Your sidestand is dirty! :shock: :o :lol:

Puff
Bill Van Sant

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Aussiefahrt wrote:Side stand spring replacement!

ever done it by yourself?..I hadn't up until 20 minutes ago. I knew it was going to be tricky cause the dealer said so & said I need a 'hook of wire with bla bla bla...' about then i switched off cause that's what I'm like - you cant tell me anything. so there I am on Christmas day with a house full of well meaning but next to useless girly girls wondering how to stretch that spring an inch and over the lug thingy's by myself. :idea: ...get a hook of wire and fix it to the floor (or some other immovable object and just straighten up your bike and roll her forward ever so gently until 'pop' in it goes like a bought one. Takes a little trial an error to align everything and probably bikers have done like this a million times before but I thought I was pretty clever...until WM's post directly below. :roll: .

Aussie 'well sprung' Rob.
What a nice procedure! :lol:

I changed my four springs allways the same way:
Get something to lean your Boss Hoss onto on the right side.
Unscrew the sidestand completly (4 bolts).
Fold the sidestand back further than the hardstop on the bike.
Put in the new spring by hand. :twisted:
Remount the sidestand.

That's all :mrgreen:
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

another method of stretching a spring is to pry one coil at a time open and insert a coin, a pair of pliars may be required to help push the coin into the coils. Normally only three or four coins are needed to open the spring up where it can be manipulated over whatever.
Buck
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Swiss V8 wrote:
Aussiefahrt wrote:
I knew it was going to be tricky cause the dealer said so & said I need a 'hook of wire with....

Remount the sidestand.

Teh he he...Martin, what you descibed is the boring way to change the spring and only done outside of Australia...hahaha

Martin's way is much easier to do and done in a couple of minutes, but Rob's way is MUCH more spectacular... :lol:

I vote for the spectacular Aussie wire method!!! :lol:

Rob, I still can't believe the dealer suggested to install it this way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loafster
AR

Post by AR »

KrautV8 wrote:
Swiss V8 wrote:
Aussiefahrt wrote:
I knew it was going to be tricky cause the dealer said so & said I need a 'hook of wire with....

Remount the sidestand.

Teh he he...Martin, what you descibed is the boring way to change the spring and only done outside of Australia...hahaha

Martin's way is much easier to do and done in a couple of minutes, but Rob's way is MUCH more spectacular... :lol:

I vote for the spectacular Aussie wire method!!! :lol:

Rob, I still can't believe the dealer suggested to install it this way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loafster
Haha...yes apparently Australia is the only place you can do this. Something to do with the way the electrons in the wire spin down the drain haha. Actually..and I dont do this often, but I must claim this idea as my own and from now on you are to refer to it as the 'Aussie well sprung' procedure. Like I said Martin...I had nobody to help me, and unlike Buck I dont have any money at all :lol: so from now on this is the way to do it for me cause both of those camps dont look like changing in the forseable future.

A'WS'R

ps. Bucks idea is good thinking for ya though.. 8-)
AR

Post by AR »

W1LDMAN wrote: Aussie, I forgot to tell you that yesterday I saw Anna log in and take a look here and she ran away laughing at your "well hung sprung" or whatever it is you say we are now to refer to it as. Haha. I guess she wasn't impressed with your 4 inch spring. :roll: WM
I count to the inside of the hooks when I measure a spring WM...is that wrong?