Post by Harold Blocker »

Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
Els

Re: Dunlop 245/50 ZR 15 for Wildman

Post by Els »

W1LDMAN wrote:Thanx Harold! The tire is a compromise but I got good miles out of my last one and think I will try it again. WM 8-)

WM,

I swear I'm not asking this to start a shitstorm but...would you or someone explain to me why you would prefer using a car tire to a motorcycle tire on these bikes? I tried it once personally and rode a buds with a car tire and I thought they both sucked. There are other reasons I can make for using m/c rather than car tires but obviously there are a bunch that prefer car. I can't figure it out and need some help understanding this...

Els :?:
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

Elliot, I will jump in an answer that one for you. I have a c/t on my '02. had one on a previous bike and the Bride is running one on her Roadliner. There are some unique handling changes, the tire will run up the high side of a rut, takes more bar pressure to turn; the positives, much better mileage (depending on the rubber compound), a great deal more road stability, much better traction in wet weather/roads and finally the cost per tire is 1/2 to 1/3 of the Avons. Like and/or dislike is one of personal preference, me, I'm more than willing to tolerate the negatives. See you at DBBW.
Buck
Els

Post by Els »

Ok guys, I can buy all that. I guess my feelings about car vs bike tires were based on a bad experience I had with a car tire (Sumitomo 285) on my big block Boss and my riding is primarily on very challenging roads here in the NC mountains. Cost, looks, wear are all legitimate reasons to have a car tire.

Buck, I had my ass puckered a number of times transitioning uneven roads with the Sumitomo :o . The slow speed parking lot characteristics were weird and a bit ungainly for me, I was always fighting the lean in highly crowned roads, and I scared the piss out of some buds taking the interstate ramps at high speeds when they were next to or close to me :shock: . I'd fight it but I'd drift outside.

I occasionally spend some saddle time on crotch rockets carving some mountain roads and scraping knees. When you're used to that type of riding/performance, having a car tire on a bike seems pretty radical. Appreciate you guys setting me straight on why some like the car tires. Best,

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Post by Harold Blocker »

WM,

I wish I had bought more when I purchased. I have one new Dunlop mounted on my spare rear rim and one new Falken on the bike, with a spare Falken sitting in the shop floor. I wish I had one more Dunlop, that should last me until I go to a trike (hopefully V8 chopper).
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
firstboss

Post by firstboss »

Hallo V8 Biker´s ,
ich fahre meinen Boss auch mit Autoreifen ,seit 2 Jahren sogar als reinen
Winterreifen !!
ich hatte mit keinem anderen Reifen so einen "Gripp" ,
und das ist für mich einfach der Hauptgrund : ich habe einfach mehr Gummi
auf der Straße !!!

Gruß an alle - Uwe aus Heidelberg/Germany
Attachments
General CARTYRE 275/60-15<br />SNOWGRIPP
General CARTYRE 275/60-15
SNOWGRIPP
AR

Post by AR »

firstboss wrote:Hallo V8 Biker´s ,
ich fahre meinen Boss auch mit Autoreifen ,seit 2 Jahren sogar als reinen
Winterreifen !!
ich hatte mit keinem anderen Reifen so einen "Gripp" ,
und das ist für mich einfach der Hauptgrund : ich habe einfach mehr Gummi
auf der Straße !!!

Gruß an alle - Uwe aus Heidelberg/Germany
Hello V8 Biker´s, I drive mean boss also with motor-car tires, for 2 years even as pure winter tire!! I had " in such a way with no other tire one; Gripp" , and that is for me simply the principal reason: I have simply more rubber on the road!!! Greeting to all - Uwe from Heidelberg/Germany

forget the tire...what about that set of legs hanging from your left arm...good pick up Aussie!! :twisted:
Ric

Post by Ric »

So the car tire / vs / Bike tire never tires out eh?

Jeez, sorry guys... couldn't help myself.

I was debating on putting a car tire on my '06 BB.... however, it has the rounded fender. And I polled the bejeeziz outta the guys on the other V-8 site... and came up with nadda on anyone using the car tire on the rounded back fender.

But what convinced me to stay with the Avon is... I'd sacrifice looks, better wear-factor, and cost... for better performance.

Handling is what I live for on this Dragon.

It seems as though the 'old Dawgs' ride with car tires... Maybe that's the way to become 'Popular' with the familiar IN crowd in the V-8 world... maybe? :mrgreen:

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Ric,

i questioned the heck outta everyone i could about car tire vs M/C tire. Once i decided on car tire then i went looking for car tire wheel as i have 18 inch after market EGO Tripp wheels and i wanted to stay with same design wheel. can't get one, closest i found to getting my wheel in a car tire wheel was to send my wheel to BH germany and they would weld up my wheel, machine it for a car tire bead and rechrome it. i ended up buying a Marv's car tire wheel. Also i was unsure of whether the tire would fit under my fender, as i have after market steel fenders, i got Grumpy to measure his width of his tire, his is a 265/35/18, and at the time i thought it would have been too wide as i have 10&7/8 inches inside to inside,,,, if i remember, anyway i thought 265 would be too wide so i ordered a 245/40/18 AND a 235/40/18. i wanted to have a tire just in case the 245 was too wide. well i got room on the 245, sent the 235 back for refund and i think next time i am gonna order and try a 265 as i think it will fit.
As far as the handling, not that much noticeable difference unless you get on uneven road surfaces, it moves you around some, but you get use to it. more noticeable in the parking lots and pot holes. would i change back to M/C tire,,, not gonna happen. Burnouts,,, sure is alot nicer having a 10 or 11 inch wide stripe on the road that it is with a 4 inch wide stripe on the road. PLUS when you smoke the tire now, you can hear the car tire screech,,, another plus for me. also much better handling during burnouts with car tire,,, so far. personally if you try it you will not go back to M/C tire...
GIVE IT A TRY, what's the worst could happen it won't fit under your fender,, and you have to go with a M/C tire. Order one of each, try the car tire, if it works, send the M/C tire back, if it doesn't send the car tire back.

Also,,, W1ldman,,, where the heck have you been? I know i am off shore with limited connection,,, but that's my excuse? what's up?

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
AR

Post by AR »

W1LDMAN wrote:Aussie Rob has mounted a Mickey Thompson tire maybe he will comment on why he did and how it is working for him.
Ric 8-) !

I think Darryl nailed it. You gotta try it for yourself and I dont think its much use trying to categorize why people have done it or why people like a particular tire cause often the reasons given are non sensical. Take me for instance, I sacrificed better twisty handling just so i could fill up that little gap underneath the sides of the standard pro-street fender. 99% would think it makes no sense to do it but thats the way it is. That being said, I've got used to the "edging"and can ride with every bit of confidence that the avon gave me. Next tire will be the 255MT...see if i can get another inch under the fender and really fill them gaps good :lol:

Aussie.

Edit...Something we missed answering Ric was the rounded fender with car tire. WM is currently running that setup...or was last time I saw it. If you need help posting a pic WM send it to me and I'll fix you up.

:|