DAYTONA Thoughts...

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

DAYTONA Thoughts...

Post by Els »

Daytona's over and I'm left with many great memories. It's always been about friendships to me more than the bikes or riding and this one was outstanding in that regard.

Can't possibly cover all the people I saw and enjoyed spending time with or I'd invariably leave someone out and make them and me feel bad. I would like to thank a few folks though for their hospitality and more.

Stan Hughes....doesn't get any better than having Stan as a friend. I spent much of my time outside Stan's trailer and David's trailer right next to Stan's at the Speedway. Those guys always had a warm reception and a comfortable chair for those that showed up. David's bikes and trikes are becoming legendary. The hospitality afforded myself and others who came there on a daily basis were very appreciated. First class guys and great friends. The barbeque dinner Stan provided at Billy's was very generous and really great.

Billy & Phyllis....they opened their new place in Port Orange to us V8 guys every day. It's a kick ass setting and Billy & Phyllis were extremely generous making folks feel welcome and comfortable. The barbeque they hosted was outstanding. I could write a book on Billy's new V8Chopper trike. It's the coolest 3 wheeler I've ever laid eyes on and is as formidable as it gets. I hope someone will post lots of pictures of it.

Steve Barr....is one of my best buds. Steve once again invited me to stay with him in a great condo right on the ocean. Riding with Steve is the best as he's always offering to payload all the shit I can't take on the chopper. That includes his always having tools aboard which in our world, is often VERY handy. Steve's always willing to go anywhere and do anything and it's just great riding with Steve. A "PS" with regard to Steve is his putting that beautiful 502 Willy's trike up for sale. He decided to do this in Daytona and will be doing a special project with Stan and V8Choppers. Steve's small block '57 trike got sold to Jack (Hawk 88) while in Daytona. Both are exceptional trikes.

Jack Phillips....what a cool guy. Jack is always there to help, advise, or shoot the shit with. Jack very kindly led a group of us (Chris, Gary, Smokey, Wild Bill, and myself) down to watch the rocket launch Friday night after the barbeque. Congratulations to Jack getting that beautiful '57 Chevy trike.

We had one half of one day with light rain and every other day sunny and blue sky. Pretty unusual for Daytona this time of year but very appreciated. Only one little hiccup with one bud getting a ticket. I'm not sure whether Crazy Rick is proud of it or not so I won't tell you who got it, ha ha. Smoking tires on 502's...recipe for Officer Friendly to make an appearance.

Speaking of which, the road in front of the V8Chopper parking area got re-paved in rubber Thursday night. A security guard with a bad sense of humor gave us some shit and called the cops. We very luckily were pulling out of the Speedway as the law was pulling in. It ruined our chance of sneaking in the Speedway to do a lap at midnight which may have been good fortune. Visions of jail and impounded bikes occasionally crossed my mind.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Wildman Mike. Mike made a surprise appearance in Daytona Friday and came to the barbeque astride that awesome yellow 590 hp V8Chopper courtesy of Dave Ward. I was telling WM and others at dinner how important this forum and especially the old Yahoo V8 Free Speech Forum were to me. As a result of these boards, I've forged great friendships that have endured the last 8 or 9 years and probably will the rest of my life. Steve, Neil, Chris, Jack, and so many others I've been able to meet and buddy up as a result of getting to know one another through these websites.

Hopefully, some of the guys with cameras will post some Daytona picutures here. All I managed on my phone camera was some half naked skanky women you all wouldn't want to see, ha ha.

As mentioned, the list of those who's company I got to enjoy in Daytona is way to long to list here. Eight days and it wasn't enough for me. Guess it's time to start the countdown to Oklahoma. Great seeing all you guys this past week. Best regards,

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
AR

Re: DAYTONA Thoughts...

Post by AR »

big thanks for the report Els, really enjoyed it...and from what else I've heard about Daytona the V8 biker spirit is alive and well.

AR.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Els wrote:
Lastly, I'd like to thank Wildman Mike. Mike made a surprise appearance in Daytona Friday and came to the barbeque astride that awesome yellow 590 hp V8Chopper courtesy of Dave Ward. I was telling WM and others at dinner how important this forum and especially the old Yahoo V8 Free Speech Forum were to me. As a result of these boards, I've forged great friendships that have endured the last 8 or 9 years and probably will the rest of my life. Steve, Neil, Chris, Jack, and so many others I've been able to meet and buddy up as a result of getting to know one another through these websites.

Elliot
So Wildman was there Friday and we still don't have any fresh pictures posted from him, what's up with that :roll: :?:

Shane
Tom

Post by Tom »

Els and Wildman... Thanks for the update and tales of your time... I am going to make it out there one of these days.. Sounds like way too much fun to keep missing. Next year I am going to make a serious run at being there... Again.. thanks for your reports.
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Many thanks for the reports. sounds like ya'll had a great time. As i have said, V8 bikers are cut from a different cloth, the ones i have met or been around from the message boards or conversed with here. I would have loved to have been there, but your posts make me smile. thanks for the time it took to post. i too would love to go one day..

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

hahahaha Hey Mike, it was really great seeing you in Daytona as well....sorry about your pictures, but glad you made it home safely.

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Again, Daytona was great! Jenn and I love going there in the middle of winter to escape the cold weather for a couple weeks and as well to hang out with all the V8 people we meet there. Unfortunately we had to leave for home on the last Friday and missed the big party at Billy and Phylis' place. We also missed Wildman and a few others, which I discovered after we got back. But someday I'm sure we'll get to meet.

As you may have read a while back I was planning to ride over to Phoenix afterwards, but after watching the weather closely for a few days I changed my mind and shipped the bike home from Orlando and then flew home from there. There were reports of tornados, freezing rain, black ice, snow, nasty shit in general, so fuck it. I've ridden enough miles in crappy weather to know that I don't much like it.

I need to thank Billy for letting me use his new facilty to install some new rotors and pads on the front of my bike. He had all the tools and jacks I needed to get the job done. The old rotors were pretty much worn out and it was time to change them.

And we had lots of fun hanging out and riding around with Jack and Cheryl, Buck and Susan, Jack and Pam, Elliot, Milwaukee Steve, Cheeseburger................the list goes on and on. We'll be back next year for sure.

And the bike ran great too which is a relief. A couple minor issues to deal with and I'll get them dealt with when the bike gets back here.

Bryan
Els

Post by Els »

Bryan,

Great seeing you and Jenn again. I just watched the video of Jenn and Cheryl test riding the Bosses. That's very cool stuff.

This was my 2nd Daytona amongst the 25+ years I've been going where I went as a snowbird taking a break from winter weather like you. Have to admit it makes it all the more enjoyable and this year more than most, really appreciative of Daytona's weather. The whole 8 days I was there, 1/2 day of rain. Hard to beat that.

We missed you at the BBQ but outside of good food and seeing Wildman, you seemed to have taken advantage of about everything else Daytona offered. Next year perhaps you'll stay the whole time and not miss anything. I'm counting on doing the same.

Again, good seeing you...

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image