it's even the 21st century in the southern hemisphere :|
KISS

Re: Sabertooth 4 speed?

Post by KISS »

Ooops! How time flyes! :oops: :oops: :oops: (.)<
AR

Post by AR »

Well then lads and lasses, here's some serious pondering for yer. From the Sabretooth Garage;

Q: Can the gear ratios be played with?
A: The gearing we chose is a good overall gearing, maximizing around town and highway performance. However, for those who prefer something different, there are a couple of options. The user can change the gear ratios by altering sprocket and/or pulley size (within reason). Additionally, different gears for the transmission are available but that will be a more expensvie option.

Q: Can the transmission be installed without a reverse motor
A: Yes. The electric reverse is a separate unit from the transmission.

Q: I don't want to use a clutch
A: The transmission will work with either a clutch or a torque converter.

Q: Is this the same transmission that Grand Canard spoke about that suddenly went away?
A: No. This is a new transmission being developed by Sabertooth and Taylor Race Engineering for use in Sabertooth motorcycles. It may be also available for retrofit on Boss Hoss motorcycles depending on demand.

If there are any other questions that I missed, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. As you know, there are still a lot of variables so some answers are simply not available at this time. The following numbers are for a Sabertooth WildCat with a 36 tooth front pulley and 72 tooth rear pulley and 300/35 18 rear tire.

Top speeds:
1st Gear: 44.4 MPH
2nd Gear: 78.8 MPH
3rd Gear: 124.8 MPH
4th Gear 193.7 MPH

At 1500 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 12 MPH
2nd Gear: 22 MPH
3rd Gear: 36 MPH
4th Gear: 57 MPH

At 2000 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 18 MPH
2nd Gear: 30 MPH
3rd Gear: 48 MPH
4th Gear: 75 MPH

At 3000 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 25 MPH
2nd Gear: 45 MPH
3rd Gear: 72 MPH
4th Gear: 105 MPH

At 3500 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 30 MPH
2nd Gear: 53 MPH
3rd Gear: 84 MPH
4th Gear: 130 MPH

First gear is designed to give good acceleration but not require a lot of shifting between lights while riding in town. Fourth gear is designed primarily as an overdrive gear for highway cruising.

Dont know about you mugs but I'm looking forward to some V8bike action next year! 8-) 8-) 8-)

AR.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Aussiefahrt wrote: From the Sabretooth Garage;

The following numbers are for a Sabertooth WildCat with a 36 tooth front pulley and 72 tooth rear pulley and 300/35 18 rear tire.

Top speeds:
1st Gear: 44.4 MPH
2nd Gear: 78.8 MPH
3rd Gear: 124.8 MPH
4th Gear 193.7 MPH

At 1500 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 12 MPH
2nd Gear: 22 MPH
3rd Gear: 36 MPH
4th Gear: 57 MPH

At 2000 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 18 MPH
2nd Gear: 30 MPH
3rd Gear: 48 MPH
4th Gear: 75 MPH

At 3000 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 25 MPH
2nd Gear: 45 MPH
3rd Gear: 72 MPH
4th Gear: 105 MPH

At 3500 RPMs, speed in each gear would be approximately:
1st Gear: 30 MPH
2nd Gear: 53 MPH
3rd Gear: 84 MPH
4th Gear: 130 MPH

Dont know about you mugs but I'm looking forward to some V8bike action next year! 8-) 8-) 8-)

AR.

Excellent Aussie! Just what we have been waiting for!

We have big news to report!! Sabertooth Motorcycles has sent message to us and has taken what we feel is another big step in the right direction to join the V8 bike community and offered to join our existing sponsors of THE INTERNATIONAL V8 BIKERS FORUM. Thank you Michelle Saipe for helping to make this happen. Welcome Sabertooth Motorcyles to the V8Bikers.Net family!!

Our web dude Lennu is out of action for a few days with some health concerns. We will soon be seeing and hearing a lot more from Sabertooth Motorcycles here as soon as he returns to action.

Click here for more about Sabertooth V8 Motorcycles>>>http://www.sabertoothmotorcycles.com
Els

Post by Els »

Wet the bed Fred! Where the hell have I been ignoring the Rebel board with all this cool shit going on?! :shock:

I love hearing all this stuff. I know a lot of the Chevy purists snub their noses at Ford but I personally have some very fond memories with Ford 390 big blocks in the late 60's. I've out performed many a Chevy 396 big block with those motors. I also remember the many rear main seal issues and other little crap but the overall memories are damn good.

How could anyone complain about the prospect of more or 4 speeds?! If one is going with a multi-speed automatic tranny, more is good although it's hard to escape the decades of stellar performance with 2 speed Powerglides. It's not always a case of needing it, it's just good to have. Personally, I don't have the nads for the 193 mph advertised here. I've seen 160 on my old Bosses, about the same on my chopper, and 178 on my 'Busa and Gixxer. Now that I've done it, I prefer sub sonic speeds. Those speeds with the tires we have available on the big bikes are potentially deadly. I REALLY question it with a 360 according to some reports and rumors.

Mike, to answer your question or remark about the V8Choppers, let me first correct the numbers...Gary didn't do 150 mph...but we were close! I did 144.14 and Gary did high 130's BUT...he whipped my ass with a much better ET. His time was 9.86 versus my 10's. Getting there first and ET trumps MPH so I'm not trying to steal my best bud's thunder...he's the man! Going further with this, you can't compare 1st (and only) gear on the chopper with 1st gear on a Boss. Totally different ratios. I have NEVER experienced an overheat or high heat problem with the single speed including going up mountains in the summer here in NC. I have really ran the piss out of it and seen 210 degrees which some may consider high but I don't. All of my hot rods have thermostats keeping average running temps of 210 and that's where they're making the best HP. My average temp on the chopper at 3,000 rpm and 70 mph is 185 degrees. Around town it's rarely above 165.

I would love a reverse but don't require one. Jack is right on with how to use (or abuse) them. Been there - done that.

That turbocat is cool as crap looking. I personally love the prospect of turbocharging or supercharging. I've driven a supercharged bike (Gary's) and have a blower in my LS2 SSR. Wonderful way to get HP. Much more linear than nitrous but not necessarily better or more fun.

I don't see myself as a Sabertooth customer any time soon as I love the choppers and if I did choose to have a 2nd bike or one I intended to do cross country roles, it would be a Vanquish. Still and all, this company is doing all the things indicated here that a company should be doing. Listening to it's customers, coming out with new and different ideas and designs, and possibly filling a void that Boss Hoss seems to be leaving as a result of their not doing the same. Maybe they've been watching Stan?!

I personally don't know how this company has held on. Perhaps they're selling bikes overseas. I just don't see them or their bikes to any degree at any of the big venues. I hope to though. I think it makes it much more interesting and there's room. I wold really like the chance to see and sit on that turno model. Perhaps they could tell us if they'll be at Daytona and where.

Yes, I'm a long winded bastard but I did take a good leave of absence giving you guys a break for awhile... :roll:

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Q: I don't want to use a clutch
A: The transmission will work with either a clutch or a torque converter.

I've been around cars and bikes for a lot of years. How do you shift a manual transmission that's connected to a torque converter? I know there are switches built into the shifters on drag bikes that interrupt the ignition for clutchless power shifts, but these seem kinda severe for street use. I guess my biggest question is why all the clutch fear? I'm assuming we all had bikes before our V-8s and, unless it was a scooter, it had something for your left hand to do besides to honk the horn. I like my clutch. It's a simple mechanical devise, it isn't going to fail without a lot of warning and, most importantly, real bikes and real hot rods have clutches. It sorta connects me to the machine
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Why scared of clutches? Torque converters give torque multiplication allowing better use of the power with less gear ranges in 1 and 2 speed transmission. With a 4 speed I am not sure what I would rather have but would love to learn more and compare both. My understanding is the clutches in the 1 speed Boss Hosses had very short life spans. I have been told with a 2 speed ranger it will be better but really don't know of many with high mileage to compare this to. When I was looking to buy my bike I questioned the dealer if I could get a clutch, just didn't seem right to be buying a bike with an automatic. After riding and owning one it seems to be the best for the gearing that it has.

Shane
Els

Post by Els »

WM,

I laughed my nads off when I read the "Slobbertooth" tag. I know the author and I think it was said in jest for the most part with elements of truth. Afterall, talk is cheap.

There's been a seesaw of things with Sabertooth from the beginning that some here on these boards were either affected by or entertained by. There were a number of folks who were friends of the original designer of the company, Tom Breedlove. I visited Tom numerous times when they first secured and was setting up the operation outside Greenville, SC by the airport. Some folks liked Tom's work, others didn't. Whether one did or not, there was a fairly hostile parting of the ways between Tom and the current regime and that simply left a bad taste with some. The same thing happened with another Sabertooth (previously "Breedlove Motor Works" or BMW, ha ha) key person on the front end, Tony Sanders. He's someone I regard as a personal friend and I thought he was the backbone of a lot of design, engineering, fabrication, etc with the company. Tony by the way, is the driving force working for Mike Kelly at Vanquish.

After Tom and Tony were out of the picture there was a bit of arrogance, big claims, and what I considered a lot of smoke for quite some time coming from Sabertooth. This is not to say Tom was the answer to the company's success. He was responsible for bringing forward an early edition bike that was horrendous. Many saw it at Daytona where Tom rushed it to get there so something could be previewed and it was a disaster. Lots of pretty negative commentary on the website and amongst the V8 circle. It was a stretch limo and pretty ungainly. To sum it up, there is a checkered history here. I'm still curious to see how things unfold and like most, I have a seeing is believing mentality.

As far as Stan, I can tell you knowing him pretty well, he has nothing negative to say about any competitor. He does his thing and I've never heard any unkind words from him regarding anyone else's choice of bikes. Stan has more than proven this with his friendship and generosity to others within our V8 community. Knowing Stan, he wishes the Sabertooth folks well and would be quick to point out things he likes about it. Personally, I don't think they bring much of anything to the table at this point in time. Perhaps with time, they will change my mind. In the meantime, talk is cheap.

Els
Image Image Image
Els

Post by Els »

W1LDMAN wrote: I did receive a email a few minutes ago from Aussiefahrt that you don't hold a candle to me when it comes to laying down the bull shit. :twisted: Wildman//

WM,

AF is a very insightful, smart chap! We all know you have no equal when it comes to "laying down the bull shit." Your own words! (.)<

I knew there was SOMEONE out there more full of it than me. YES!

When it's all said and done, we'll judge you by what you ride. I have the strongest suspicions that will be a V8Chopper one day. You'll still be full of shit but in the best of company.... and stylin'! 8-)

Els
Image Image Image
AR

Post by AR »

Hey thanks for posting the pics wm..i was caught up all day in court you know how it is :shock: Love the pics, particularly of the 'in real life' one of the turbo. Needs a SS spew bottle tho Ben :)

Did i ever show you guys my BH when I had the twin turbo on?

:lol:
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

W1LDMAN wrote:
Aussiefahrt wrote:Hey thanks for posting the pics wm..i was caught up all day in court you know how it is :shock: Love the pics, particularly of the 'in real life' one of the turbo. Needs a SS spew bottle tho Ben :)

Did i ever show you guys my Boss Hoss when I had the twin turbo on?

:lol:

Doesn't look like it worked out all that well :D
Crazy Rick

Post by Crazy Rick »

WILD MAN..........YOU KNOW I JEST AND HAVE A SICK SENSE OF HUMOR? (.)< :roll:

If all this happens I think it will be great. The more V8s out here the better. 4 speeds would CORNFUSE me though after 9 years with just two and what the hell is a clutch??

Hell man I love all these Boss Hogies, Vansquashes, Sloppertooths and even that there V8 Chomper thingy. :oops:

I'l go back in my hole now,
CR :P
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

3 weeks and no updates....something must be happening???
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Tom

Post by Tom »

MIke.. Thanks for the update... I`d sure like to see Sabertooth make this happen. 8-)
Ric

Re: Sabertooth 4 speed Motorcycles

Post by Ric »

With bated breath, I wait.....

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I got to meet the Sabertooth guy (Ben maybe, I didn't hear a name) at Tim and Mary's Bar BQ Tuesday night, and rode with him Wednesday on the Shriner's charity ride. Very nice, and knowledgeable guy, he loves engineering :) He said if there was a future desire, he could cast a 5 speed case.
Attachments
Mammoth
Mammoth
Last edited by Elvis on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Oh, if you could hear the stories that I've heard regarding these sorts of things.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I look forward to Sabretooth coming to the market and would take a stab at the Canadian side if the opportunity arose and the bikes are what we think they are going to be.
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

So far, I'm just interersted in seeing what they come up with in the 4 speed clutch transmission... I can eaisly hide one between the side panels on my bike.... Although, the Sabertooth looks pretty cool.... I'm still amoung the ranks of Boss Hoss.

I truly DIG the V8 Chopper, the Vanquish, and the Sabertooth, not to mention the Cannon... but the Boss appeals to my Hot Rod Cruiser/tourer concepts is all.

Love ALL of the V8 bikes! But there can only be one, under my jeans...

I guess if I took each one of them for a ride... or had one of each for a month of riding... things would change... but who gets to test ride ANYTHING for a month?

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ric wrote:but who gets to test ride ANYTHING for a month?

Ric.....I do!! :D :D :D :D
CanuckHoss