Transmissions

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Tom

Transmissions

Post by Tom »

All who are thinking of having anyone but Nesco work on their transmissions can forget it.. I had a conversation with Rad the other day as to the availibility of trans parts and was informed they will no longer sell internal trans parts to customers.. If you have a problem you now have to send it to nesco for a rebuild... mmountian and Marv can still get parts but if they sell any over the counter they will be excluded too...
Just another fine example of the direction Boss Hoss is headed in my opinion.. I was also informed they are working on doing an exchange transmmission program.
Sooo... Any improvement or as it has been in the past.. research development by those who actually ride these things is now a thing of the past...
hogv8

Re: Transmissions

Post by hogv8 »

Well I'll be a son of bitch . That Fucking sucks .This has got to another one of Rads brainstorms . I could see the writing on the wall though . Next thing you know we won't be able to buy any parts unless they are installed by a dealer . This doesn't even sound legal . V8 Choppers are sounding better all the time .

Jack
Els

Post by Els »

Seems like the Boss Hoss transmission dilemma transcends time. We were talking this shit back in the old Yahoo days seven plus years ago. The tranny was then and is now not up to the job. The factory back then made excuses and didn't do what I would consider the right thing in making sure their customer was getting a high quality product. The same lack of concern for the customer is evident with this kind of business decision. It will put a number of folks I know in a position of possibly not being able to keep the bike. Anyone know what the latest price tag is on a Nesco through this new way of doing business?

All I know is I feel bad for the V8 brothers who will end up having to deal with this issue because you probably WILL puke the Nesco tranny at some point in time even if you drive it like a weenie. I did what I threatened to do and am thankful for it. I personally haven't looked back once since changing the logo on my tank.

Els
Last edited by Els on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

This cannot be legal. Time to stand up, quit being a bunch of pussies and tell BH that they WILL sell you the parts to maintain your bikes or you will sue their asses off. If they go belly up, too bad. I think they have it coming. They've become arrogant and don't give a rats ass about their customer base anymore.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Smoke'em

Post by Smoke'em »

Carl, (John) I do not really think arrogant is the right word....poor businessmen rings truer. What they are trying to do is support Nesco and a bad transmission for the V8 bike. Over the years they introduce fixes that are band-aids on a fatal wound in Boss Hoss. They keep saying that the new stuff is just fine and no problems experienced...this is just plain head-in-sand and running from a problem that everyone of us on this board knows about...Give a Boss Hoss a full throttle twist at 70 MPH in 2nd and it will only be a few times before you will before you are parked on the side of the road....in my case a desert road... more than once.
I can understand them trying to figure out how to make money or help Nesco out but I have found in business that you MUST sacrifice your financial status in favor of customer status if you want to stay meaningful in business. Clearly the Boss Hoss factory does not understand customer handling, especially on this issue. The problem is the tranny itself, just too small for bikes like these. Instead of looking for the big fix they just cover up the main issue with small plugs in the dike.
I will say Tom has worked on several trannies for me and you absolutely notice the difference....what is the end game problem is that even with Tom's great work eventually, as I have found, the tranny will puke....everytime I shift the Boss Hoss I wait to see if this is the time I melt it, even when being careful...at least as careful as I can be without having no fun.
Hopefully some day...when the market is better, someone will come along and take Boss Hoss out of its misery and really focus on hitting the stride it deserves, from a business and customer standpoint. Until then we deal with poor business principals and a company destined to ashes.
I did vote like Elliot and drive a motorcycle now that is staying together. I still love my Boss but hate the tranny's.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

well said pete.
phpBB [video]
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

This would easily be resolved if the powers that be added Tom & Adrian & from what I have read, Jeff Hemperly to the part selling list. Persons who improve this transmission & who also ride.
I recently had trans failure. I chose Tom & Adrian from what i have read on the board here and .com site. I spoke with Tom before i sent it to them. The service they provided was great, their workmanship and attitude is A-1. the late night calls, the email answering my questions is how business should be run.

I recall a few members stating after trans rebuilds by Nesco they would NEVER send back to them again due to the lack of workmanship. Not in this lifetime.

The economy may be the reason for this change as some have said, but their is also your life blood to think of, the people who buy the bikes, and as many have said, the owners are responsible for ALOT of sales and people being brought to see the light of V-8 bikes.

One thing,, this could be the best business decision Boss Hoss ever made for V-8 Choppers and Vanquish.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Like others have already said, I don't see how this can be legal ... but I'm not a lawyer either :roll:

While I ride my bike hard I also keep all maint top condition. I don't believe I should be on my THIRD "nesco rebuilt" that I am. Not that I was looking forward to a fourth tranny I was looking forward to having Tom do it next time around. Like E said, I know there will be a next time. :| VERY DISAPPOINTED with Rad's decision.
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Tom

Post by Tom »

Got it fixed.....

Redtro

Post by Redtro »

WOOOOW!!! Very Cool Tom! How do you like it? Got any plans for the motor? I love that paint job...really pops! Congratz!
Els

Post by Els »

Tom wrote:Got it fixed.....

Said it on the other site and will say it here...."Congrats and a great decision Tom." I share your frustration and when I made the move, it was based on similar frustrations. A number of us know how to talk with our wallets which is the best move. There's a number of V8Chopper owners who have done the same and for the same reasons and are happy having done so. No getting even or for reasons other than the choppers are just plain cool...and in my opinion, a much higher quality product. Same goes with the Vanquish and I'd probably have one of them too if the dollars were available. All the issues of attitude with respect to Dyersburg vs Miami have already been covered but also a part of the equation. You will ultimately be thankful your time lines may have been accelerated due to the BS going on.

I can say it on this site where I couldn't on the other. Yes I can make it a Chopper vs Hoss issue or Hoss vs Vanquish issue. It is NOT however, about anything outside of the facts. It has nothing to do with someone chosing one make over another or anyone having a love affair with their Boss. That's absolutely fine and I'll respect it. Hell, there are those that love their Kia, old Plymouth Valiant or Harley 883 Sportster. In my opinion I was dumped on by Boss Hoss after being a loyal and pretty serious customer. That still zings and was and is bad business. It's a factory and quality issue to me. If Boss Hoss back then had done right by it's customers, I may still be on one. Their still doing the wrong thing all these years later and after all the bikes they've produced and money they've garnished and advise and pleas made by their customers, it's wrong. Anyone who doesn't like my making comparisons on that basis can go shit in their hat.

Elliot
Last edited by Els on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Elliot, I am afraid I must report you to Clint for your
post on this site. :shock: Didn't he make himself clear
that he wouldn't tolerate such behavior!

Also remember you ain't got no horse in this race. :twisted:

....Johnston, Iowa
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

Els

Post by Els »

Ron,

You are a hoot. Yeah, let it rip with Clint. He's ok just a bit touchy with the Ford vs Chevy thing. To me, it's exactly about that and that's the reason V8Choppers and Stan have gotten the rave reviews and business coming their way. It's also why folks are so upside down with Boss Hoss, both hardware and management. I clearly understand someone being proud or defensive of their prized possession.

As far as his comment about my not having a dog in the fight, that's incorrect but I didn't want to get into it. I total appx $185,000.00 worth of Boss Hoss hardware as past inventory. This doesn't include the numerous pieces of bling I bought from them or their dealers. It also doesn't include the dollars associated with the MANY tranny problems I had. Let's round the numbers and say there was $200,000.00 worth of my hard earned loot that went directly or indirectly to that company. I was treated like shit in consideration of that. It also doesn't address the many very good buds I have who have had and/or are continuing to suffer with this transmission fiasco. As Dave Ward graciously referenced, I've taken it better than a lot of folks would have.

E
Image Image Image
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

W1ldman,

thanks for the time you took to get answers for the V-8 masses.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
AR

Post by AR »

Absolutely thanks WM. Also been sittin down here watching it unfold and not knowing what to think until your advice. I too am in the 9 year old 'A' model tranny camp so like everything else on the bike its coming up due for something. With compliance laws the way they are here in Aussie BH is pretty much the only choice and to be honest before all this I thought it would be a lot more exe for a rebuild or exchange...oh yeah, add 100% for shipping :(

What I'd really like to know is has there been an efficency performance increase through the development of the A to D models - ie %HP loss in A model vs %HP loss in D or has it all been with the aim for increased reliability? I heard the latest is a ball-tearer but it was from someone that rode an LS3 and he thought the increased engine torque was probably the main reason. KK's gonna let me loose on the latest model when i visit him in December so I'll let you know then.

AR.
Els

Post by Els »

Mike,

I'm glad you guys have been given options that insure you'll be able to repair to your satisfaction the bikes so many of you enjoy. I have my own reasons for riding what I do just as you guys do for what you ride. I respect that in spite of my personal gremlins or experiences which I've already discussed.

The chatter on both boards went a bit far. It's funny (and sometimes not so funny) how passionate we get sitting behind a keyboard late at night and say things we'd probably never do up close and personal. I'm very guilty of that and have often hit "Send" and regretted it.

It is VERY important that the V8 community stick together and support one another for the good of the entire deal. I am going to make an effort to practise more of this in spite of some hard situations or feelings I may personally have had.

You did a really good thing going to the source and getting clarification. With respect to the left coast guys, it may not result in what everyone's hoping to hear. It offers some the satisfaction and comfort of knowing you have avenues to go and there's no doom & gloom. I still think Tom & Adrian have and should continue to be able to help folks out but it apparently doesn't change their situation or the reason this first came up. I'm not in agreement with this but that's not my problem or business. They are very highly regarded and not without reason.

I have MANY friends straddling 2 and 3 wheels with the BH emblem on the tank and I look forward to seeing them and enjoying the ride. One of my greatest sources of pleasure is seeing and enjoying the folks within the V8 community.

Although all tranny concerns may not have evaporated with this news, your efforts have definitely given many of the BH owners comfort and a smile again. I'm glad a lot of you feel better now. Good job icing things down....

Elliot
Last edited by Els on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Hey Wildman that is really cool that you invested so much of your time
to try to get some factual information on this tranny issue. :P

I think we should all buy you one drink each next year in Miami and then
videotape the results! Thanks again Mike!!

....Johnston, Iowa
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Mike,

thanks for your effort to clear some things here. That was the best posting ever made about the BH tranny stuff and hopefully stops this emotional tranny conversation. I feel so much better now.

Thanks, buddy!!!

Olaf
Els

Post by Els »

Iowa 57 chevy wrote:Hey Wildman that is really cool that you invested so much of your time
to try to get some factual information on this tranny issue. :P

I think we should all buy you one drink each next year in Miami and then
videotape the results! Thanks again Mike!!

Now THAT'S a great idea!
Image Image Image
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »