Sabertooth 4 speed Motorcycles

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Harold Blocker
Outdrank the Perverator

Re: 4 speed?

Post by Harold Blocker »

I'm from Missouri (The Show Me State) so, let's wait and see. "We're gonna do it" is a whole lot easier than "we have done it"! I hope they make it, but I have doubts. However, if they make it, it could put pressure on others to follow suit.
Harold Blocker
Southeast Missouri
hblocker@clgw.net
ImageImage
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Very, Very Interesting....
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AR

Post by AR »

No Pammy, I aint got 90k thats why i married my wife. :lol:

One of the big ticket tricks with these bikes is to keep the wheelbase short. Thats one of the benefits BH gains by using the Nexco. You add 2 inches to the back end there to fit in a powerglide or whatever and to my eye they just look out of balance. Thats been the big challenge for the brands and thats why they been employing far out bridge building engineering solutions. Man that swingarm MBH used in their hybid marco/BH to overcome the longer transmission was outrageous and looks like the experiment has died a natural death anyway. If it all looks to hard in the backend there i cant look past it but i'm a nobody :roll:
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

Awesome news...best thing I heard since I heard I could get a V8 bike in yellow...can I get a yellow tranny too?

All of a sudden, we have a plethora of tranny options...Ranger, 1 speed, nesco, 4 speed, powerglide, rebuild, new, folks outsourcing parts creation themselves etc etc...

Will definately cause more V8 bike sales.... :P
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

9.2 to 1 first gear?!?!?! Do you shift at 3 MPH? Seems just a tad low to me. My Ranger 1st is 2 to 1. It's a little high, but it works fine. Also, my Ranger shifts just fine
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Those ratio's seem like final drive ratio's not transmission ratio's.
If not my rear sprockets (51 / 21)would turn that 1st into 2.4 x 9.2 = 22.08:1
Your final drive ratio with the Ranger is probably about equal to his 2nd, and 3rd. I'm guessing yours is 1st: 6:1, 2nd: 3:1
The approximate transmission overall gear ratios are:
1st: 9.2:1;
2nd: 5.5:1,
3rd: 3.3:1;
4th: 2.2:1.
AR

Post by AR »

hosszz4 wrote:Awesome news...best thing I heard since I heard I could get a V8 bike in yellow...can I get a yellow tranny too?

All of a sudden, we have a plethora of tranny options...Ranger, 1 speed, nesco, 4 speed, powerglide, rebuild, new, folks outsourcing parts creation themselves etc etc...

Will definately cause more V8 bike sales.... :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hbr9xRAU-g
wag

Post by wag »

Pretty cool V8 bike!
That round fender would have to go, wouldn't look good with a car tire and thats a MUST!
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Elvis wrote:Those ratio's seem like final drive ratio's not transmission ratio's.
If not my rear sprockets (51 / 21)would turn that 1st into 2.4 x 9.2 = 22.08:1
Your final drive ratio with the Ranger is probably about equal to his 2nd, and 3rd. I'm guessing yours is 1st: 6:1, 2nd: 3:1
The approximate transmission overall gear ratios are:
1st: 9.2:1;
2nd: 5.5:1,
3rd: 3.3:1;
4th: 2.2:1.
My first is close to his second and my high is very close to his high, but a 9.1 first is still a stump puller.
As I've said before, if someone is going to the trouble and expense to design a new trans, they need to turn the gearsets sideways like the inline 4 cylinder Indians and Hendersons. The unit would be no longer than a Nesco or Curtis and four speeds would be no problem
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

W1LDMAN wrote:Also said they will soon be springing this 4 speed on us and that they will fit a Boss Hoss and they think they might sell more trannys than bikes.

I told them a little about V8Bikers.Net and our attempt to bring the world of V8Bikers together regardless of brand and invited them to take a look. Wildman//

Wildman -

He didn't happen to mention $$$$$ did he? Hopefully somebody from Sabertooth will post more info here? Maybe even choices for gearing?
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

W1LDMAN wrote:Aussie, I sent a email to Sabertooth a few days ago inquiring about their new trans and got a real cool response this morning from them.
The current Ranger transmission shifts well in the context of a V8 motorcycle. The gears take a moment to synchronize, so slamming the bike into gear can cause some grinding. That said, we were unhappy with that level of performance, so we sought to develop a more advanced transmission.

We are working with Taylor Race Engineering to develop the new transmission and we have made significant progress. In an effort not to over-promise, we set the release date in the second quarter of next year. We’ve already spent significant time and money on this project and have a prototype design. Taylor Race Engineering develops very sophisticated transmissions for the race industry. This is their sole occupation. As such they have a staff of talented Gear Engineers (I didn’t even know there WAS such a thing until we started this project several months ago) and are very qualified to design a purpose built transmission that will stand up to the unique challenges a V8 bike poses. This isn’t one guy in a garage with a theory. We’ve invested significant resources into this project and are confident that we will have a revolutionary transmission when we’re done.

We're not adapting an existing transmission for use in the bike, we're designing one from scratch to meet our needs. So, the new transmission is approximately 7” shorter than the existing Ranger and will allow us to redesign the rear end of our bike. We have received a number of comments that the bike looks great from the engine forward, but the rear end looks too long. The new design will carry the sleek looks from front to back.

We are always interested in constructive feedback from our customers and potential customers. In fact, because of such feedback, we have narrowed the frame by 4” in the seat area to make the seating and standing position more comfortable; redesigned the seat with gel pads as well as optional back rests, also for rider comfort; increased the gas tank from 6 to 8 gallons to increase cruising range; introduced custom fit handlebars and foot controls and even offered optional extended side covers for those who like that aesthetic better. Each of these changes, while relatively minor, was precipitated by customer feedback.
What ya think of them apples huh Aussie? Thank you Sabertooth for sending this communication to us and look forward to hearing a lot more from you in the future!! Wildman//

Interesting to hear those changes, as minor as some of those things are the pics of the bikes do look better than I remember in the past.

Shane
AR

Post by AR »

W1LDMAN wrote:What ya think of them apples huh Aussie?
If you ask me, which just so happens to be the case wm, its exactly what we are looking for. To put a little perspective on it i took the liberty of doing the redesign - free of charge. Took about 4 to 5 inch offa the backend for them the other 2 inch they can give to the suspension guys. :D

Before;
After;
KISS

Re: Sabertooth 4 speed?

Post by KISS »

I want,no,i N E E D one Turbocat w the new short 4 speed tranny ! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://www.sabertoothmotorcycles.com/bi ... bocat.html

(in the pics it is still w the "old" ranger ?)

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

This new trans is seen, by many, to be their salvation from the Nesco problems, and, for some, it may well be. But, and it is a huge BUT, it's only going to be for the high rollers and the well heeled. I cannot imagine this thing costing less than 10 large. You're talking about a complete transmission, flywheel, clutch assembly, reversing motor setup, possibly a new belt and rear pulley, etc., etc. If Sabertooth does build it and they do make it available for sale to BH owners, it's gonna be pricey. And, what if they decide it can only be sold and installed by authorized dealers? I wouldn't get too excited about it yet.
I wonder if this is the same trans that Ricky (Grand Canard) was talking about that suddenly went away?
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Carl La Fong wrote:This new trans is seen, by many, to be their salvation from the Nesco problems, and, for some, it may well be. But, and it is a huge BUT, it's only going to be for the high rollers and the well heeled. I cannot imagine this thing costing less than 10 large. You're talking about a complete transmission, flywheel, clutch assembly, reversing motor setup, possibly a new belt and rear pulley, etc., etc. If Sabertooth does build it and they do make it available for sale to Boss Hoss owners, it's gonna be pricey. And, what if they decide it can only be sold and installed by authorized dealers? I wouldn't get too excited about it yet.
I wonder if this is the same trans that Ricky (Grand Canard) was talking about that suddenly went away?

Carl -

I hope the price is NOT that high but we'll have to "wait and see" ... I'd also like to give it a ride before I laid out that kind of money (remembering VR tranny fiasco). I've met Dan in person a couple times and he seems like an ok guy. He did not have all the tech answers to my questions (I think he is more the $$$$ guy) BUT he did find out. Of course this is all 2+years ago so I am sure he is more schooled in the tech side now. My questions would be:

1) Cost

2) Can gear ratios be played with

3) Can the tranny be installed without the reverse motor, I don't use reverse anyway and electric reverse reminds me too much of a Goldwing

wag

Post by wag »

One V8Biker made a comment about 4 speeds and how would you do the long smokey burnouts that a lot of us want to be able to do. Maybe we can start from 2nd or 3rd? But then why would we need a first gear? Just don't know at this time how it will work for us.
My thoughts are: 4 spd is overkill, and I don't want a clutch.
In my opinion, our 2 spd is perfect gearing wise.

I have a hard time bitching about the mine and Grumpy's Nesco's. 45,000 miles and I put clutches in mine once. Grumpy had his gone through his but it never had a problem, it was just because we had it out for the motor change.
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

3) Can the tranny be installed without the reverse motor, I don't use reverse anyway and electric reverse reminds me too much of a Goldwing
having owned a Wing I can assure you that the reverse worked great and you could climb a mountain in reverse with it, very strong, my big complaint, it was not throttle sensitive as is the BH one, when you go into reverse the speed is constant.
Buck
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Buck wrote:
having owned a Wing I can assure you that the reverse worked great and you could climb a mountain in reverse with it, very strong, my big complaint, it was not throttle sensitive as is the Boss Hoss one, when you go into reverse the speed is constant.
Buck

I think not being throttle sensitive is a good thing . I never accelerate in reverse or at least try to avoid it . Reverse is just to help you walk the bike along backwards . That's how several guys have blown reverse by trying to back up a grade or over a curb or anything like that .

Jack
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Buck wrote:
having owned a Wing I can assure you that the reverse worked great and you could climb a mountain in reverse with it, very strong, my big complaint, it was not throttle sensitive as is the Boss Hoss one, when you go into reverse the speed is constant.
Buck

Buck -

I know the 'Wing's reverse works fine, I had a 03 Wing. It was a great bike except for the fact I was always concerned regarding the frame issues. I sold mine while Honda was still on the fence not wanting to accept responsibility ... but that's water under the bridge. I also have to agree with Jack, I would not want the reverse to be throttle sensitive. Footing slip a bit and you twist the throttle a bit too hard :shock: I love doing burnouts and spinning the tire but NOT in reverse! :D

Don

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

W1LDMAN wrote:Even though some of the information is incomplete and we still have questions that's about as good as we can do for now. I certainly didn't mean to get the cart in front of the hoss :shock: here (come on, you know that's funny!!). Even though they seem plenty receptive to customer input hopefully we can end some of our speculation here and wait until they finish their work to ask for more. I could have easily edited out the last sentence of their communication where Michelle says "fire away" but it shows how approachable they are. The riders in the community have said many times how vital they feel a good line of communication is.

Thank you Sabertooth for sending. Wildman//
Wildman -

Thanks for your efforts getting the info and then POSTING it for all of us to read. I for one really appreciate it ... It sounds like they are being very receptive to the consumer :?: Guess I'll just keep watching for information as it comes in!

Don

SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

This four speed could be very interesting, seems it could be a good transmission for towing assuming it is durable. Not sure I would be ready to give up my 2 speed for one, but would be interested in having one of each.

Shane
carburetormike

Post by carburetormike »

Hi Guys, I think the 1st gear would be great for School Zones. Here is Pa. it's 15mph. I'll bet money no child will step into the street when they here a V8 Taching at about 3,000rpm's. That would be good for pulling into the Cruise-In's as well. Making a lot of noise make for a Grand entrance. You could also leave little 4-5 ft tracks as well.

Carby Mike
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

carburetormike wrote:Hi Guys, I think the 1st gear would be great for School Zones. Here is Pa. it's 15mph. I'll bet money no child will step into the street when they here a V8 Taching at about 3,000rpm's. That would be good for pulling into the Cruise-In's as well. Making a lot of noise make for a Grand entrance. You could also leave little 4-5 ft tracks as well.

Carby Mike

Would also be good for pulling stumps . :lol:

Jack
KISS

Post by KISS »

hogv8 wrote:
carburetormike wrote:Hi Guys, I think the 1st gear would be great for School Zones. Here is Pa. it's 15mph. I'll bet money no child will step into the street when they here a V8 Taching at about 3,000rpm's. That would be good for pulling into the Cruise-In's as well. Making a lot of noise make for a Grand entrance. You could also leave little 4-5 ft tracks as well.

Carby Mike

Would also be good for pulling stumps . :lol:

Jack
Halloo Guys!Welcome to 20th century! Benefits of the 4 gears in V8 bike are same as in powerfull cars! You dont necessarily need more gears than 1 or 2,but all extra gears are fun to play with.You dont have to slide your clutch or converter at low speeds,you have much more instant power at every speed at almost any rpm,you can improve your gas mileage quite much when you have "right" gear in the right place.These are all laws of physics,not speculation! :o
And you all know that when you have enough power,you can do loooong burn outs w 1st,2nd,3th and 4th gear,if your tranny can handle all of the power you have.I have made 1000ft burn outs w manual BB Corvette +NOS,and w SB Chevette w powerclide.Powerglide was faster in quarter mile than manual,but that BB manual was hell of a fun to play with.