What model van can hold a 10.5 foot long BH....

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Oldun

What model van can hold a 10.5 foot long BH....

Post by Oldun »

Hi all. Throwing this question out there in case anybody knows.

My hand/wrist are still not doing so well for long distance riding, and I may have the opportunity to bring my wife with me on a trip to the US later in the year. So.... making a virtue out of necessity, I'm contemplating getting a used van to drive around in with the bike in the back; that way we won't have to bother with a trailer but will still be able to bring the bike with us as well as give my beloved a comfortable 'touring' seat with a better view than from the pillion...

I remember at the rally in Pullman City that the 'Nautilus' bike arrived inside a van - would anybody remember the make and model of that van / its US equivalent? Thanks in advance.
Swiss V8

Re: What model van can hold a 10.5 foot long BH....

Post by Swiss V8 »

There are some different vans which might hold a Boss Hoss.

One is the Mercedes Sprinter. You will have a big variety of models there. You shurely will go for one of the longest available.
I tranported my SB in a Ford Transit. It was a long one with a high roof so you can stand inside.
Of corse there are other makes which will fullfill the task of transporting a Boss Hoss.
I think we saw once a Toyota Hiace with a Kanon in it. But the bike never left the van, so I don't know it this counts :twisted:
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Swiss V8 wrote:There are some different vans which might hold a Boss Hoss.

One is the Mercedes Sprinter. You will have a big variety of models there. You shurely will go for one of the longest available.
I tranported my SB in a Ford Transit. It was a long one with a high roof so you can stand inside.
Of corse there are other makes which will fullfill the task of transporting a Boss Hoss.
I think we saw once a Toyota Hiace with a Kanon in it. But the bike never left the van, so I don't know it this counts :twisted:
Martin , I've seen the Ford Transit and thought a Boss might fit but I was concerned about the power and the suspension . Does the Ford have enough power and suspension to handle the weight of a Boss on a long trip .

Thanks , Jack
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Thank you both

I looked at the Ford Econoline as well but it seemed not as good all round as the one I'm currently favoring (thanks to W1ldman) a Dodge Sprinter which I think is the Merc van badged for the US... I figure with the bike out it'll hold 2 hammocks :-) It has a turbodiesel engine for the longhaul and enough room for everything.

Sturgis or Paris Landing 2012.... that is the other question!
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

hogv8 wrote:
Swiss V8 wrote:There are some different vans which might hold a Boss Hoss.

Martin , I've seen the Ford Transit and thought a Boss might fit but I was concerned about the power and the suspension . Does the Ford have enough power and suspension to handle the weight of a Boss on a long trip .

Thanks , Jack
Hi Jack,

It was good enough to get my SB and a spare tranny to a friends place and back again. OK you could not race against others but you were no obstacle in traffic.

BTW: That's my sister in laws van. She works as a floorer and that's her 'shop'. It is a front wheel drive with a turbo diesel engine, but don't ask the size.
Attachments
P1070189.JPG
P1070174.JPG
P1070186.JPG
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Those pix are very useful thanks! especially the middle one. Definitely roomy enough for a Kewlmetal extended front end. Much appreciate the posting.
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

My sister in law put that cupboard in the van to store al her stuff. It left just enough room to get through with the handlebars. I can tell you it was close! :shock:
The van is the longest possible of that type. The roof is steel not plastic. You should go for one with a high roof! Don't forget the rear dors: They should open completely, not like a car door!
On this van there is no preparation for a ramp, but I'm shure that's an easy fix for you. It woked fine without special ramp mounting.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

The high roof would be excellent - being able to stand up in it etc. And it keeps the bike away from prying eyes when parked...
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Yes the tinted windows come in handy... :thumbup:
KISS

Post by KISS »

"I think we saw once a Toyota Hiace with a Kanon in it. But the bike never left the van, so I don't know it this counts :twisted:"

Damn Martin! :yikes: I have also heard rumours about that Hiace w Kannon in it! ;bullshit:
I think it´s only a myth! :deadhorse: :leghump: :anvil:
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

I have a medium wheelbase Sprinter and regularly carry my Kannon, a V Rod and display wheels to shows. The only problem is that it's rear wheel drive making the floor quite high. Look for a front wheel drive van with a low floor height as it's a lot easier to get the bike in and out safely.
Make sure that you tie the loading ramp securely as it can easily slip out :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

Good point on the FWD thanks Steve! so far apart from the price (high) the Sprinter still looks best overall. But as they say when talking about make a rabbit pie - first, catch your rabbit; the bike will be first on the agenda.