LS3 test ride

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
bob4108

LS3 test ride

Post by bob4108 »

Bill saw you taking a test ride on an LS3 :o and was wondering what your thoughts were :?:
ImageImage
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: LS3 test ride

Post by V8Bikers »

Hi Bob,

It all started when I was talking to Marv and he asked if I had ever rode one of the LS3's with the cam kit? I never have but did take a stock 08 or 09 LS2 for a short ride but never got a chance to really open it up. Marv proceeded to tell me that the 485 hp would walk my 606 :screwloose: :o

After laughing for about 10 min, :rofl: I got up off the ground, dusted myself off, and regained composure. He suggested that I take one for a demo, so I sauntered up to the factory trailer, signed the form, grabbed a helmet and told the factory gents about my conversation with Marv and they nodded in quiet agreement.

Now my interest has been piqued and I'm about as anxious as a teenage boy on a date with a condom imprinting the backside of my wallet :leghump:

I was very impressed, it felt as though I was sitting in rather than on the bike. The new tank looks really good and the gauges are well placed and easy to read.

Now that the niceties are out of the way, this thing fuckin flys :burnout: It seemed to pick up speed faster than mine and more crisp and lighter on its feet. It is well balanced and feels very tight. It felt very flicable and really smooth taking corners, changing lanes etc. Kind of hard to explain, mine feels perfect for me but this one is slightly different - in a good way. Did I mention it hauls ass!! Mark did a great job finding some openings in traffic to let loose!

Is it faster? When riding it seemed so but when I got back on mine it felt fast too. Would love to line them up at some point to find out for sure. Marv also showed me an LS he has that has 545hp? with a special torque converter and a slick - I know for sure that would walk me :?
Is it for me? At this point, no. Only because I like the visceral and visual look of a BB.

I think this pic sums it up:
Attachments
LS3.png

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

Bill,
I test rode the same kind of bike last year when I was in Daytona.
Man, I was really impressed. That bike acelerates like a rocket. I felt it went at least as fast as my 502, probably better. The only thing I did not like was the slight delay when you go off the throttle. I hope they improved the maping in the meantime ?

By the way: when we do the 1/8 mile races in PullmanCity it is mostly an LS3 that finally wins, not the BB :cry:
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I been saying for years how overated the BigBlocks are, even mentioned that they really best in trucks. I got a V8 chopper with only a 350 cu inch motor that will beat a stock BH 502. I don't consider my V8 Chopper to be fast. Stan has some 575 HP bikes without nitrous, they're fast. I rode an LS3 in a BH and thought it was fast, possibly faster than my Chopper, but the 502, still better in a truck. Plenty of torque, can lay rubber at will, not very fast though.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

SQ4MN wrote:I been saying for years how overated the BigBlocks are, even mentioned that they really best in trucks. I got a V8 chopper with only a 350 cu inch motor that will beat a stock BH 502. I don't consider my V8 Chopper to be fast. Stan has some 575 HP bikes without nitrous, they're fast. I rode an LS3 in a BH and thought it was fast, possibly faster than my Chopper, but the 502, still better in a truck. Plenty of torque, can lay rubber at will, not very fast though.
:deadhorse: I Like the people that come up and say wholly shit it's a big block!! I seen a lot of small blocks but NEVER a big block..I will agree that most any small block is quicker(don't care)..But I love the radical idle, and being able to roast tires at will..Randy
phpBB [video]
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Randy, Each and every one of us should ride what
ever size and brand that puts the biggest smile on our face.

By the way that was a GREAT burnout you did in Paris TN a couple years ago! Just needed to get a little sideways to get a 10 from me.

....Johnston, Iowa
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Ron, Hopefully we can do it again next year. Randy
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Randy, I understand what you're saying and I understand why you ME and others like the Big Blocks. The WOW factor is definitely there with a Big Block, and when you pull away from the crowd and lay a healthy strip of rubber at will, an instant LEGEND is born in the minds of onlookers. The LS3 may indeed be faster but it will never be a LEGEND, they'll remember the BB bike and the guy that rode it forever. They'll tell the story of a crazy dude who rode a motorcycle with a five or six hundred horsepower 502 cu inch V8 engine in it who lay a hundred foot of rubber as he left whenever anybody starts talking about motorcycles. They are a legend and they always will be.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I rode the Same bike Bill did and I agree that the acceleration is indeed impressive and Strong. What I couldn't get over was the throttle response lag. I can't believe they STILL have not gotten that worked out of the system yet. I know its very possible to do because I have driven cars with LS3's that are hopped up to 550hp and there is NO throttle lag. Then again, It was done using a Delco ignition Module and not some proprietary garbage that has proven itself Amazingly inferior.
For me it throws off the riding experience. After Riding the bike, I have decided that If I want more power, I will put my 383 in it. Even my little small block with my POS carb responds instantly and reliably to tweaks and twists to the throttle. Maybe after riding it for a week It would disappear but I didn't like it enough that I have decide my bike is just fine and I have no desire to get a new one.
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

if that "throttle response lag" is still there after a whole year then shame on the factory !!!
When I fully accelaerated and went off the throttle it seemed to still pull for another 1/2 second and then have no "engine brake". This way I almost kissed the trunks of the vehicles in front of me a couple of times untill I realised what was happening with the damned thing. Found that dangerous and told the guys from the factory. They knew what I was talking about.

I just love my BIG BLOCK :D
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Bill / PetiteMoose

I have NEVER ridden a stock LS BH. What is your take on the throttle lag? Is it a safety issue?
I'm under the impression that when the throttle is released to zero position that the RPM's are slow to go from say 1300 RPM to idle; if that is the case then it's a idle air motor issue.

I'm ordering a 2014 BH w/ hot cam tomorrow; need a second BH, just haven't decided if want standard bike w/ fairing and bags or a SS w/ drag slick and windvest.
Whichever, I'll possibly ship it over to Netherlands for a few years to ride Europe and will ship my Harley Street Glide back home.

Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

It's good to be Rick!! Haha..Seriously Rick good luck in your new purchase..And be safe..Randy
phpBB [video]
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Grand Canard wrote:Bill / PetiteMoose

I have NEVER ridden a stock LS BH. What is your take on the throttle lag? Is it a safety issue?
I'm under the impression that when the throttle is released to zero position that the RPM's are slow to go from say 1300 RPM to idle; if that is the case then it's a idle air motor issue.

I'm ordering a 2014 BH w/ hot cam tomorrow; need a second BH, just haven't decided if want standard bike w/ fairing and bags or a SS w/ drag slick and windvest.
Whichever, I'll possibly ship it over to Netherlands for a few years to ride Europe and will ship my Harley Street Glide back home.

Rick
I am sure that with a little time you will adapt to the lag.... but why should we have to? It is definitely there and it is not minor. In my opinion, it is a safety issue. Having acceleration last well after you shut the throttle down is not a good thing. Having a delayed response "on" throttle can get you killed.. Sometimes the difference between death and a near miss is that 1/2 - 3/4 second. I have accelerated out of way more close calls thanIi have braked for. I would think the best way to handle it would be to use a GM box and tweak it like thousands of others have done on cars so the throttle response is quick "on" as well as "off". Why BH refuses to do so baffles me.
I did not ride a stock version so I cannot speak first hand if it is there or not.
Given your intended riding location I would go with the stock configuration with fairing and storage. It will still pull like a beast and be dependable. You can always cam it up when you get home so it can be configured properly by a trusted tech when you swap out the control box to get rid of the lag. Just my .02
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Rick, I still have the same STANDARD as when I first met you. They don't look as good as the sports model but once you have the TRUNK you will love it. If you want a good looking fast bike that isn't worth a shit on a long trip try a V8 Chopper. They can do long trips but then you gotta add baggage and a windshield. If the windshield is small enough to look good than it aint worth a shit at blocking the wind. If you add bags it fucks up the lines and it makes it look terrible. You're in the position to have whatever fits your mood. Get the LS standard and make it for touring europe and you'll love it. When you get back to the states have a chopper built for you, it'll be awesome. Then theres BERSERKER which is in a world of its own. Of course these are MY OPINIONS and I don't really expect you to pay em much mind. If you do ever get a new Chopper call me first and I promise to save you a little money.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

SQ4MN wrote:Rick, I still have the same STANDARD as when I first met you. They don't look as good as the sports model but once you have the TRUNK you will love it. If you want a good looking fast bike that isn't worth a shit on a long trip try a V8 Chopper. They can do long trips but then you gotta add baggage and a windshield. If the windshield is small enough to look good than it aint worth a shit at blocking the wind. If you add bags it fucks up the lines and it makes it look terrible. You're in the position to have whatever fits your mood. Get the LS standard and make it for touring europe and you'll love it. When you get back to the states have a chopper built for you, it'll be awesome. Then theres BERSERKER which is in a world of its own. Of course these are MY OPINIONS and I don't really expect you to pay em much mind. If you do ever get a new Chopper call me first and I promise to save you a little money.
I will have a V8 Chopper before too much longer; they are beautiful machines and a must have, I just needed something for long hauls and touring in comfort. I'll give you a shout when I'm ready.
Thanks for the advice, I'll get the standard bike with a fairing and bags.
Rick

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Rick,
I have to admit I noticed the lag on accell only. Coming off the throttle felt normal. Maybe I was concentrating too much on some of the bike wash girls we rode by. :D

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Demo rode an LS3 bike just around Daytona for about 20 minutes. The throttle is definitely different from a carbed bike but I am sure it is something you get used to..the lag and the bit of lull in decelerating.

Chatted with some new Boss Hoss LS3 owners,,,mostly trikes and the throttle was never mentioned by anyone so they must be ok with it. even waited around for some demo rides to come back and these are people who never rode a Hoss and they never mentioned the throttle at all.

Call me stupid but the 502 is hard to get out of my brain. Every Hoss I ride I compare it to the 502 in overall character. Wish they had never done a 502!! Personally the 502 fits the niche for me and I will get beat...100% of the time racing an LS3 from light to light...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

CanuckHoss wrote:Demo rode an LS3 bike just around Daytona for about 20 minutes. The throttle is definitely different from a carbed bike but I am sure it is something you get used to..the lag and the bit of lull in decelerating.

Chatted with some new Boss Hoss LS3 owners,,,mostly trikes and the throttle was never mentioned by anyone so they must be ok with it. even waited around for some demo rides to come back and these are people who never rode a Hoss and they never mentioned the throttle at all.

Call me stupid but the 502 is hard to get out of my brain. Every Hoss I ride I compare it to the 502 in overall character. Wish they had never done a 502!! Personally the 502 fits the niche for me and I will get beat...100% of the time racing an LS3 from light to light...
Barry, so long as your happy getting beat then it's all good bro! LOL
The 502 has character.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

I'm not sure how much faster an new LS3 is than an LS2 but I can tell you Billys old Orange 502 trike would run circles around Debs LS2 and we raced them several times. His trike had the Demon carb and not sure why but it really ran strong. Trouble was that trike was so pretty I just couldn't bring myself to beat the hell out of it and risk tearing it up.

As far as the throttle lag on the LS3 in my opinion that's a bunch of shit! We had the same issues back when the LS2 was introduced back in 2008. It seems like Boss Hoss should have had plenty of time to find improved components that could eliminate this safety hazard.

....Johnston, Iowa
502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

From what I hear here in Germany, the "lag issues" on the early LS2/3s have been eliminated. If you buy a LS3 today you get a good, dependable bike.

My understanding is, that the problem only exists with the hot cam LS3.

I heared that BH took the mapping of an old Trail Blazer and tried to adjust that to save money. Dont know if that is true but it could very well be. It is a matter of the maping software, not components.

And yes, also in my eyes this is a saftey issue.
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany