Arnott airride for 502 bike

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Arnott airride for 502 bike

Post by CanuckHoss »

I became a dealer for Arnott Wednesday and placed an order for the airride for my 2008 502 bike. It arrived overnite...damn fast but could be an expensive shipping..oh well.
I am doing the bike first because I rode it Tuesday for the first time this year and since hurting my back last year any bumps really bother my back and I found that I can't ride the bike unless I do something. If there is a big difference that allows me to ride it then I will take the plunge I believe and do the 2007 502 trike.
So I will have a ride report on the bike hopefully within a week or two as I am trying to fit it into the shop inbetween customer noshows.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Re: Arnott airride for 502 bike

Post by Iron Maiden »

Congrats on the dealership! Bill had Arnott's on his 502 and loved them. He currently has a set from Kewl Metal that he does not like as much, so he is considering changing them to Arnott's.

Beside the ride report can you include the install?

Thanks,

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote:Congrats on the dealership! Bill had Arnott's on his 502 and loved them. He currently has a set from Kewl Metal that he does not like as much, so he is considering changing them to Arnott's.

Beside the ride report can you include the install?

Thanks,
Sure...my techs are doing it but I can relate back what they found...fingers crossed on this for sure.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

They went on today but weather did not permit a test ride...hopefully tomorrow...anxious as hell because if they work I can actually ride it out here...with stock shocks I can't
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:thumbup: I really hope they work for you. Can't wait to hear about your first ride.

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Finally went out yesterday for about 30 minutes or so. Stopped every 2 or 3 miles.... 10 or so stops to adjust the pressure and the 11 position dampning...having the guage where I could see it would have been better but it did not take all that long to find out the right pressure really and dampning is in the shocks so a dismount is neccessary for that anyways. I dont see where a person would be constantly adjusting the pressure ever.

John had set it to what he thought would work and he was close. Around the 85 to 90 seems best and the 2nd click from the softest setting on the shocks...softest is all the way back counterclockwise.

I immediately notice that harshness of the ride that I always felt was gone. I could feel the front end feedback as per usual on a lot of smaller bumps / cracks but could hardly feel the back end.

"IF" my back was 100% like it was most of last summer before I hurt it I believe I would be going "SOAB this is what I needed all along"....remember that a week ago I took it out for 5 miles and immediatley bailed on riding further...I could have gone longer yesterday for sure.

My back is pretty darn good compared to last September but more abrupt bumps on the roads were smoother but I found myself always apprehensive waiting for the killer bump to put me to square one and that is not fair to the Airride because I am pretty sure that it would handle the killer bumps...right now I am just not willing to find out and be hurt again....

Is it a ride comparable to a touring Harley now with the Airride? I don't think so. Is it better by quite a bit from stock? Absolutely. Am I happy with the outcome? yes...even though I will hold off riding a bunch on it for a bit.

Would I recommend it for another rider? YES...if you can handle the ride now but are unhappy with the stock ride and looking for something better than this will be money well spent..this is only my opinion and remember that Arnott has a 30 day money back guarantee so you really can't loose if your finding are different from mine.
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:thumbup: awesome review and glad to hear you feel a difference. Are you able to sell the shocks in the states? What would the cost be with shipping?

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Iron Maiden wrote::thumbup: awesome review and glad to hear you feel a difference. Are you able to sell the shocks in the states? What would the cost be with shipping?

I bet he has extra space in his carry on in Oct :capwin:
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Iron Maiden wrote::thumbup: awesome review and glad to hear you feel a difference. Are you able to sell the shocks in the states? What would the cost be with shipping?
I would have to see if they would let me ship to a different address from me / the buyer...hopefully

I will check soon.
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I been plugging ARNOTTS for about 6 years. There is a setting for everybody that they will like, they've been problem free.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

well SOAB!!!! I have not ridden the bike since last week when I did the 30 or so maybe miles and then put it in the showroom.

Checked today and the right shock has sprung an oil leak already!!..what friggin luck hey?

Arnott says warranty is no problem, which I knew, but I have to pay shipping both ways to get an exchange shock..plus downtime. If I want to have it ridable right away they will ship a new one to exchange if I pay for it first then they will credit me back when the defective gets there...I either do that or put my stock shocks back on which does not make sense.

So really shitty luck with my first sale of Arnott...to myself...if I had sold them to a customer I would maybe break even after paying all the extra freight and then replacing the new shock free of charge for the customer.

The service is quick and great from Arnott as one of the mounting bolt covers was substandard and I received a new set the next day..awesome!!

Not unhappy with Arnott...just unhappy with this happening.

oh well...such is life...
CanuckHoss

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

GGGRRRRRRRRR...............

That REALLY SUCKS!!!!

Mark

Post by Mark »

Now I am not sure if I should go for Arnott or better stay with the standard shocks. The coupon on the other forum is still tempting..

Mark
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

Mark,
I wouldn't be dissuaded by Barry's unfortunate issue with this first set, as I think it's one of those isolated 'shit happens' incidents and is not reflective of the quality or the performance of the shocks. As I mentioned on the other forum I have had issues with leakage from their gauges and feel that is a weak point in their system, but that may be partially due to the pressures I run as well. IMHO Arnott's remain a good option for you.
Mike
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Barry -

Being BRAND NEW out of the box I would figure Arnott would cover the shipping expense of the return ... Did you ask? I would understand if the shocks had been installed and you had been running them and they needed service the shipping would and should be on the owner (you) ... brand new they should not leak or have any other flaws. If they do ... it shouldn't cost you more money.

Just my opinion ...

Don
CanuckHoss wrote:well SOAB!!!! I have not ridden the bike since last week when I did the 30 or so maybe miles and then put it in the showroom.

Checked today and the right shock has sprung an oil leak already!!..what friggin luck hey?

Arnott says warranty is no problem, which I knew, but I have to pay shipping both ways to get an exchange shock..plus downtime. If I want to have it ridable right away they will ship a new one to exchange if I pay for it first then they will credit me back when the defective gets there...I either do that or put my stock shocks back on which does not make sense.

So really shitty luck with my first sale of Arnott...to myself...if I had sold them to a customer I would maybe break even after paying all the extra freight and then replacing the new shock free of charge for the customer.

The service is quick and great from Arnott as one of the mounting bolt covers was substandard and I received a new set the next day..awesome!!

Not unhappy with Arnott...just unhappy with this happening.

oh well...such is life...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Mark, I agree with Mike that this issue should not scare you away from the Arnott's. I have run these on several of my Boss's with great results and no issues. I feel they provide a much improved ride over stock and the Kewl Metal air shocks that are on my current ride (were on when I bought the bike). Would buy them again without hesitation.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Gila

Post by Gila »

I Have Arnotts on my 502 ,,, was in a bind in Sturgis two summers ago and had legends installed on my SS ,,, they failed this summer ,,, not impressed ,,, sent them a note ,,, no reply ,,, I have a set of Arnotts sitting in my garage ready to go on my SS ,,, they are a fantastic purchase ,,, Barry, I wish I would have known you were a dealer ,,, I would have got them from you ,,

Regards Mike

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I have years on mine and lots of use with virtually no problems. I did the install myself and bought them online direct from Arnott. I don't think I saved any money but back then there wasn't any dealers that I knew of. I think Barry had some bad luck, I haven't heard of anyone else having a leaking shock. You can't beat the benefit of moving a little toggle switch up or down to adjust the air pressure depending on wether or not you have a passenger. Personally I think in my bikes case it was one of the best things I did to it. My bike is a 2003 and it rode horrible when I got it. I probably would have sold it after the initial thrill of a v8 wore off if it still rode bad. Now its my touring bike and I'll probably be like Jack and keep it forever.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

There is no doubt I had bad luck...1 ride...30 miles and then a leak.

I did not ask for them to pay shipping. I told them the problem and they told me their policy. I should not have to ask as they should look and go..hmmmm...new dealer?...has trouble with first set? what can we do for him?...I guess that would be my thoughts but I am different from the norm.

I have not had a chance to have my shop change out the shock that I promptly recieved albeit having to pay for it first and then wait to get reimbursed when the other is sent back.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The guys finally got a chance yesterday to replace the faulty shock on the 502.

Problem is that the fitting for the air line on this shock is not oriented like the first 2 shocks we installed. The fitting is facing the back of the bike and both fittings on the originals faced sideways towards the fender.

So now the airline is too short. Have an email in to Arnott to see if there is some way to change the orientation of the airline fitting on the shock. If not, then either I install it like that which does not look near as good and needs a new airline or have them send another at my expense...darnit darnit darnit!!!
CanuckHoss

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

I hope that Arnott understand how many potential customer read this, perhaps a reminder eh Barry?
They should make you a happy bunny not an unhappy bunny.

Hope it gets sorted out.

G
Gordon from England
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I just received this reply from Ken at Arnott this morning:

Quote "Greetings Barry,
Unfortunately, there is no way is to adjust the orientation of the that hole after the shock has been assembled. I am unsure of the exact reason but this how the production department has started assembling them recently. Yours is not first inquiry into this issue, I have brought it up with the productions department and are currently awaiting a resolution. END QUOTE

It is what it is guess...each shock will look different now as one will be neat and the other have more airline showing...
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I would call them back and tell them I want two the same or return my money. I really like mine but they used to make them properly. Tell them that as a dealer you can't recommend them to anybody that cares what their bike looks like because the factory doesn't care either.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

SQ4MN wrote:I would call them back and tell them I want two the same or return my money. I really like mine but they used to make them properly. Tell them that as a dealer you can't recommend them to anybody that cares what their bike looks like because the factory doesn't care either.
I agree,100%. Their response is not acceptable.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
mdwdvm

Post by mdwdvm »

Barry,
It's amazing to me that you weren't treated better in terms of replacement shipping as a dealer, let alone that you're now getting this response. If they don't have more concern for providing you with a good experience, what is the level of customer service now for the average joe? I'm really disappointed, as my experience with them when dealing with two leaking gauges was good - replacement with no cost to me, shipping or otherwise. Maybe something has changed other than the location of the air hole in the shocks.......and it's a new hole in their customer approach.......that now is a customer disservice.
Mike
Mike Wallace - Watertown, MN