Posting Thought/Question

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Els

Posting Thought/Question

Post by Els »

Joe posted about a distributor and brake issue and placed one under "electrical" and one under "brakes" in the Tech section. The only way I knew they were there is I looked at "View unanswered posts" (for the first time) and saw those listed. Perhaps they were unanswered because few scan through all those individual headings but rather go to "General". Normally, I wouldn't scan through each of the many sections and subtitles but am interested in seeing whatever's put up on this board. Would it possibly be best to place a post/question/thread under the "General" section and at a later date migrate it to the appropriate area?

It's great to have all these specific headings but is a bit confusing or difficult to locate what's there unless one was to look at virtually every available area. Just thinking out loud and if anyone has a better suggestion for me to note all new posts, I'm open. Thanks,

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
KISS

Re: Posting Thought/Question

Post by KISS »

Elliot,I´ve noticed the same...Lennu said that when you are logged in,you should see the "red lights" in all unread posts,but you still have to check each board separately.
Lennu thought it would be quite impossible to show all the new posts in "general" and then move them to their right places. Don´t know exactly why (or rather, didn´t understand when he explained it to me :? ), but there is some kind of tricky thing there.
One solution is of course to get rid of the spesific headings, but it has been so much appreciated here that it would be a shame to loose those.
One solution is that whenever you post something e.g. to tech board, you put an "announce" in general about it??? Maybe too complicated??!
Els

Post by Els »

Kim,

That was going to be my plan. Just put the original post in the "General" area and than can move over to a specific board if necessary. I noticed on the .com site they periodically move a thread to a different section. I thought that perhaps if there was some really good info and chatter specific to a subject such as "Electrical", but it appeared on "General" originally, it could be moved there for archive and info purposes. Either way, I suppose any searching "electrical" would have access to it no matter where it ended up.

I think this board is laid out great and the specific boards are of great value. Didn't want to give anyone the idea I was suggesting to change that, I wasn't. Just thought that with respect to Joe's two postings, it was only luck that I found them whereas they would have jumped right out on the "General" board.

Thanks for getting back. Regards,

Elliot
Image Image Image
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

We can also look at the "veiwed" number at the right of a topic and see if anymone has read the post....sometimes we just don't have an answer or reply.

As for the com site...the posts are being moved because they are posted in the wrong place...ie tech stuff or OT in the General...
Butterfly
AR

Post by AR »

Boys boys boys & girl,

I will only say this once, 'View new posts'!

Get into it.
Els

Post by Els »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a novel idea! :shock:
Image Image Image
wag

Post by wag »

I don't want to have to put on a flak suit here but....

There has always been a problem on both sites where people don't post under the right heading and/or don't use the right subject description and/or one subject turns to many.

I guess the subject turning into many is a natural thing in conversation but posting under the right heading and using the right subject is just a bad habit or laziness.

I have always thought that this is what makes doing a search so difficult because you have to sort thru so much and that is exactly why I started my site. The info is always there in the same spot, no searching.

Ok, flak suit on :twisted:
Els

Post by Els »

Wag,

Let's get a couple of things straight right off the bat...

@#$ %^&* +*&^% and furthermore, $#@% !!! >/#%^ *&(## and finally, >*<%^ ##$&% !!!

Aren't you glad you had your flak suit on?

I'm probably as guilty as many but try to keep a consciousness like you suggest. What really chaps my ass is when the subject gets off on a whole new track and doesn't resemble the original subject. I'm sure I can claim guilt on that one too although I try not to do it. I've tried on a few threads here to state I'm going to start a new subject when I note that happening.

Your help site...awesome! Really appreciate that!

Elliot
Image Image Image
wag

Post by wag »

:o :D ;)