Ain't I Special?

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
EAGLE

Ain't I Special?

Post by EAGLE »

Wellllllllllllllll, ain't "I" special :roll: ? To the best of my limited knowledge :oops: and after being on the boards for a while, (perhaps I missed it), I am the first that I know of, to drag an alternator in a corner :shock: . Right turn into my neighborhood at about 5-10 mph and got that familiar pipe dragging noise only worse. Crap bounced off my right combat boot and I saw debris scattering in the street. The bike continued to run but I of course pulled over immediately. I put it in neutral with it still running and did a quick look around to see that my alternator belt was fragged all over the road. My Alt guage was confirming the situation of course so I gently limped her home about two blocks. I thought that my right (have two mounted, thought I needed them :wink: ) Spirit bell had gotten into the belt, (checked it hard before installation for clearance with no issues) as it too was missing only to find that the alternator bracket is bent and scraped pretty bad on the lower end. CRAP!!! Not a hard fix by Gawd just kind of a pain. I'm pricing a new bracket for asthetic purposed but I've got a ride next Tuesday that the Beast is expected at. Oh well, have hammer, will beat into submission. HEADS UP Bro's. It CAN be done! WooHooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Yes! I have recovered my Spirit Bell, Damn road Gremlins anyway!!! :evil:

EAGLE!!!!!
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!
Sonny

Re: Ain't I Special?

Post by Sonny »

Um...you leaned it enough to drag an alternator going only 5 mph?? Yeesh!!! Anyway I too had one of those bell things hanging from my alternator bracket and was going down the road and all of a sudden I heard all this scraping sound. Turns out the bell had bounced around and got caught up in the pully. Luckily it didn't cause any real damage but I removed it anyway and trashed the friggin thing lol.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Eagle , more than likely your alternator bracket broke in one of the bends. This is known week area and should be welded to reinforce before installation . Tom Chadwells broke , alternator fell off and he ran over it I believe . Mine broke also but I discovered it and had it welded before any mishap .

Jack
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

First, Brother Redtro just told me that he did this a year ago when testing some new trees. JEP 5-10 mph, never touched the pipe or the peg. All I can think of is that it was just right with the turn and the slight upgrade :roll: . Anyway, it will be fixed but I'm concerned about alignment with bending it back, so I am shopping for a new bracket. It was not the bell, the unassing belt took it off. The bracket shows where it dragged pretty hard. Anyway, I suppose that this is for some going to be just another one of those everyday things that happen around here that some can't fathom. It happened, "Believe it or not" :roll: :P :twisted: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Brother Jack,

I'll have to look at that for sure. Right now the only thing holding it on is the bolt that goes into the block. If there is another bracket, I didn't notice it, but I wasn't looking either. Thanks for the heads up.
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!