WelderBoss's Diesel bike

topics about v8 bikes and their owners
Forum Sponsored by Chris Cruz Artistry
Steve Taylor

Re: WelderBoss's Diesel bike

Post by Steve Taylor »

Like the matching engine block and t shirt :lol:
He'll need ear protectors with a diesel lump?
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I am looking forward to seeing the completed bike!

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Mike,
I love it, it's will be a unique bike when finshed, that's for sure. I have ever had most respect of guys who build their own stuff. I especially like the low seat height of WelderBoss's diesel bike.

The rear fender is build very massive, is there a reason for that? Also it's seems like it can be lifted up and down...??...

Loaf
bosshossulli

Post by bosshossulli »

Hello Mike, hello Olaf,

it looks like, very hard with will drive. For years ago i had a 52er Harley with Wishbone-hardframe, with our bad roads that was already a challenge for my spinal column.
Gruß Ulli
Image Image

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window!!!

http://www.bosshoss-ulli.de
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

WM

What rear tire is on your bike? Ps...found this piece of metal on the Kewlmetal website.
You need a chain and you should wear it round your neck, in case your finger is busy! :mrgreen:

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

WM

What rear tire is on your bike? Ps...found this piece of metal on the Kewlmetal website.
You need a chain and you should wear it round your neck, in case your finger is busy! :mrgreen:

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

AR

Post by AR »

...another day in the life of the Wildman 8-) , Great pics dog, thanks!
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Really like to see the progress on this. What gearbox did you use?
Big John

Post by Big John »

I'm wondering if the Diesel will have too much torque and will break the fragile dead bird Nesco, or will it fail to provide enough rpm's to do the job?
I'm thinking that multiple gears would make it go as good as my Cummins Dodge(24 valve, turbo) with a 5 speed.
Or, will it have the torque to pull mega high gears and do pretty well, especially cruising in the 2000-3000 rpm range, as my truck does, when it kicks ass(it does!), but this would strain the Nesco.
However, unless you have a turbo, I don't know.
Perhaps, it will pull some really high gears, with no weight, there, and work pretty well.
I hope so, with all that effort you put out.
If it does not, then a gearbox would be in order.
Hopefully, it will cruise well at 85, and have good pickup, up to over 100-120, before it poops out, wanting yet another gear.
That motor will give 500 ft/lbs, right off idle, so it will pull some really high gears, and hopefully be all, and more, than one would think~!
Good Luck with it, Welderboss, you get an A+ for your craftsmanship and skill. I want to see it go better than anyone could hope for!
I'm curious, How much does that motor weigh?
I'm thinking 800lbs or so?
Anyhow, great project!
Also, is it an electronic FI? If so, you can do the chip thing, as you may know, to get some rpm's, but mine redlines just above 3000, or so. They can't do too much more, regardless, or they will grenade on you. Look at Gail Bank's website for more.........
John
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Well, if that's a Cummins 4BT, and I assume that it is, it cranks out a whopping 90 to 110 hp depending on which exact one it is and about 250-265 ft/lbs of torque. No way in heaven or hell is it going to put out over 500 ft/lbs off idle without some serious mods. My 12 valve, which is the same engine plus two cylinders only put out 400 ft/lbs when it was stock. This bike will be fun to ride and draw a hell of a crowd, but it won't be a road burner in stock form. There are guys getting a lot out of them, though. There are a bunch of 12 valve sixes putting out over 1000HP, so I could see that one putting out 5-600 reliable HP with the right stuff.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
AR

Post by AR »

Big John wrote:I'm wondering if the Diesel will have too much torque and will break the fragile dead bird Nesco, or will it fail to provide enough rpm's to do the job?
John
enuff rpm's for the nesco was the first question i asked - i think WM mentions it earlier but Craig at coan has fixed Welderboss up with the right kit there. You gotta remember this is a 1967 model and anything over triple digit hp is insanity :lol:
Big John

Post by Big John »

Carl La Fong wrote:Well, if that's a Cummins 4BT, and I assume that it is, it cranks out a whopping 90 to 110 hp depending on which exact one it is and about 250-265 ft/lbs of torque. No way in heaven or hell is it going to put out over 500 ft/lbs off idle without some serious mods. My 12 valve, which is the same engine plus two cylinders only put out 400 ft/lbs when it was stock. This bike will be fun to ride and draw a hell of a crowd, but it won't be a road burner in stock form. There are guys getting a lot out of them, though. There are a bunch of 12 valve sixes putting out over 1000HP, so I could see that one putting out 5-600 reliable HP with the right stuff.
Last edited by Big John on Fri May 15, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Aussiefahrt wrote:
Big John wrote:I'm wondering if the Diesel will have too much torque and will break the fragile dead bird Nesco, or will it fail to provide enough rpm's to do the job?
John
enuff rpm's for the nesco was the first question i asked - i think WM mentions it earlier but Craig at coan has fixed Welderboss up with the right kit there. You gotta remember this is a 1967 model and anything over triple digit hp is insanity :lol:

I honestly didn't know it was that old of a motor-thought it was one out of a Dodge truck, like John was talking about.
Is it only a four?? I confess, I didn't look that well, just read, and assumed it was a six, probably a 12 valve.

The older ones went really good, and I always liked them.
I still think it must put out some pretty good power, torquewise.
There are still some tricks to make it do better, I'm sure.
Breathing is always a first thing to think about.
Boost can't hurt. Good injectors, etc, etc.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Aussiefahrt wrote:
John

I honestly didn't know it was that old of a motor-thought it was one out of a Dodge truck, like John was talking about.
Is it only a four?? I confess, I didn't look that well, just read, and assumed it was a six, probably a 12 valve.

The older ones went really good, and I always liked them.
I still think it must put out some pretty good power, torquewise.
There are still some tricks to make it do better, I'm sure.
Breathing is always a first thing to think about.
Boost can't hurt. Good injectors, etc, etc.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

SORRY, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU WERE INVOLVED IN BUILDING THE FUCKING THING!

I came over to this website so that I don't need to be corrected on every damn thing I say, for that matter, thank you.\

Geeze, sorry if what I posted was so offensive. I seem to upset too many people here, so I'm steppin' out. Have fun. Bye
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Big John

Post by Big John »

[Big John
Last edited by Big John on Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Carl La Fong wrote:SORRY, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU WERE INVOLVED IN BUILDING THE FUCKING THING!

I came over to this website so that I don't need to be corrected on every damn thing I say, for that matter, thank you.\

Geeze, sorry if what I posted was so offensive. I seem to upset too many people here, so I'm steppin' out. Have fun. Bye
Carl, Sure hope you don't quit posting on this site. I for one always enjoy
your wit and candor.

....Johnston, Iowa
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Iowa 57 chevy wrote:
Carl La Fong wrote:SORRY, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU WERE INVOLVED IN BUILDING THE FUCKING THING!

your wit and candor.
I 2nd that! Sure no reason to step out for having a reasonably correct idea what you are talking about. I figured the numbers would be a little lower than what you said but it is obviously not a 500 ft/Ib 6 cylinder engine. I am no expert on cummins diesels and it is very possible your information is accurate. I am glad to see someone spoke up and corrected the obvious wrong.

Shane
Big John

Post by Big John »

SRF wrote:
Iowa 57 chevy wrote:

your wit and candor.
I 2nd that! Sure no reason to step out for having a reasonably correct idea what you are talking about. I figured the numbers would be a little lower than what you said but it is obviously not a 500 ft/Ib 6 cylinder engine. I am no expert on cummins diesels and it is very possible your information is accurate. I am glad to see someone spoke up and corrected the obvious wrong.

Shane
I have to say that I didn't mean to be so snappy, I didn't look at the motor that well, and thought I pointed that out in the next post..........
So, for what it's worth, I apologize.
I thought that I had explained my feelings in all that preceeded, but I guess I got off on a tangent.
Anyway, I didn't mean to sound so rude.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Big John wrote:
SRF wrote:
Iowa 57 chevy wrote:

your wit and candor.

Shane
I have to say that I didn't mean to be so snappy, I didn't look at the motor that well, and thought I pointed that out in the next post..........
So, for what it's worth, I apologize.
I thought that I had explained my feelings in all that preceeded, but I guess I got off on a tangent.
Anyway, I didn't mean to sound so rude.
ten minutes later........
Ok, John, I really do owe you an apology because when I was changing servers, I couldn't get all the pictures-my phone line was bad. I went from coax to phone line service and my e-mail has been down, and also, it wasn't letting all the pics in, mostly just blank squares and have to wait and wait for it. The guy replaced it with new line, yesterday, and now I'm getting everything. I just reviewed all the posts and see that I was missing out on a lot of the pictures.
Big John

Post by Big John »

W1LDMAN wrote:Image

Anyway, I didn't know it was a four cylinder!