Pulleys

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
wag

Pulleys

Post by wag »

So now that I have an SS and a ZZ4 sitting side by side, I start comparing. I notice the rear pulley on the SS is rally good looking compared to the ZZ4. I start thinking about changing the ZZ4 to the SS setup till I looked on the factory site and saw the price for that pulley is $1528.
Whats up with that, Marv gets around $800 for his.
Tom

Re: Pulleys

Post by Tom »

Is there more than one belt listed?? Seems to me like the SS pulley is smaller as well?
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Tom wrote:Is there more than one belt listed?? Seems to me like the SS pulley is smaller as well?
Yes, 70T for the rear pulley if I remember right. The front pulley is smaller, too. 30T I think...
Looks a whole lot better than the ZZ4 unit, BUT $1500?????? Wooow!!!
I hope mine lasts very very long.

Olaf
wag

Post by wag »

The ZZ4 comes with 34 front/ 80 rear for ratio of (2.35)
The SS comes with a 30 front and a 75 rear for a ratio of (2.5)
I didn't check the belt after seeing the price of the pulley.
AR

Post by AR »

Correct me if i'm wrong but you'd need a different belt anyway...shorter swingarm on SS makes for a shorter belt than if you placed the same pulleys on the ZZ4. Maybe a belt length somewhere in between. Sounds all too exe/hard. :?
wag

Post by wag »

Yes, it would be a much better idea to get one of Marv's pulleys, half the price and no belt change needed.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

wag wrote:The ZZ4 comes with 34 front/ 80 rear for ratio of (2.35)
Would the above ratio have very much to do with the fact that the LS hauls ass way better than a 385ZZ4??
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

CanuckHoss wrote:
wag wrote:The ZZ4 comes with 34 front/ 80 rear for ratio of (2.35)
Would the above ratio have very much to do with the fact that the LS hauls ass way better than a 385ZZ4??
No, the ZZ4 Currently uses 32 front/ 80 reae which is a ratio of 2.5

Shane
wag

Post by wag »

Your right maybe now but mine came with a 34, I tried the 32 and it slowed my Boss down. Wasn't using the full potential of the motor with a 32. Can't wait to see what the SS has for power :) I'm wondering a little cause Kidd thought the Chopper is so fast and my Boss ate that alive, wasn't even a contest.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

wag wrote:Your right maybe now but mine came with a 34, I tried the 32 and it slowed my Boss down. Wasn't using the full potential of the motor with a 32. Can't wait to see what the SS has for power :) I'm wondering a little cause Kidd thought the Chopper is so fast and my Boss ate that alive, wasn't even a contest.
I also preferred the 34 not really sure about the power, but I liked the slightly lower cruising rpms. I had done several changes when going from 34 to 32 so not really sure about the other effects. Since I have an 09 tranny with the new output shaft bearing and pulley design 32 is now my only option to my knowledge and a change would require splitting the frame. For that reason I was looking at the SS rear pulley which would return me to the original gear ratio also, until I saw the price.

Shane
wag

Post by wag »

Yea, I couldn't believe it, usually stock items are less than custom but not is this case! Marv's are half the price. I don't need to change anyway, it was just another thought.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

wag wrote:Your right maybe now but mine came with a 34, I tried the 32 and it slowed my Boss down. Wasn't using the full potential of the motor with a 32. Can't wait to see what the SS has for power :) I'm wondering a little cause Kidd thought the Chopper is so fast and my Boss ate that alive, wasn't even a contest.
Wag,
that's what I felt when I first rode my SS bike. Somehow the higher ratio slowed down the bike some at higher speeds. The drive train ratio of my SS is even a little higher because the 330 tire is one inch smaller in diameter than the stock 230 tire. The bike is bad ass from taking off the line and (I have to grab a handful) but it is able to spin the soft compound 330 tire at will. But somehow I feel that my old single speed was faster at speeds above 60mph. Seems like not all the torque can be used efficient with such a high ratio.

Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mountain Boss Hoss pulleys are nice . $900.00 Too bad we can't find a place we could buy pully blanks and machine to fit . I used to buy different sprocket blanks and machine to fit my applications so I could play with different gear ratios on my dirt track bikes .

Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Wag , what did your V8 Chopper have for an engine ??

Jack
wag

Post by wag »

STD GM 350 crate motor with a Dart top end kit. I figure it's 375 hp or so at the most.
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

wag wrote:STD GM 350 crate motor with a Dart top end kit. I figure it's 375 hp or so at the most.

Now I understand why you killed it with your bad ass Boss . ;)

Jack
wag

Post by wag »

I am very happy with mine for what it is, it ran hard all last summer without an issue.
We have 8 Bosses in St Cloud and Grumpy is the only one faster. That 421 is and awesome motor, a bit on the edge though cause it takes maintenance.
I was going to build a new motor this winter but mine has treated me so good that I can't make myself retire it. :P
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I'd love to build a alum. block 434 engine for mine and stick it in my Boss but unfortunately after checking what it would cost $$$$$ I decided it was just too much for this old retired guy . Wait a minute , Maybe If I sold my Harley . Ya , Cheryl would really love that . :o

Jack