So What Is The Best Modification You have Done To Your Bike,

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Re: So What Is The Best Modification You have Done To Your Bike,

Post by zenbiker »

So many mods! I think the best of them were:

1. Going to the 383 stroker motor with Sanderson headers. It became a killer performer.
2. Replacing the front end with a factory installed late model steering neck and whole front end with inverted forks.
3. Changing to the Mallory fully electronic ignition and distibutor with electronic advance. This is a best kept secret!
4. Tranny rebuild and upgrade by Jeff Hemperly. Shifting is perfect!
5. Full electrical upgrade by Jeff including wiring, fuse box, waterproof switches and all connectors re-done.
6. Tubular frame gussets on the rear section by Jeff and 350 lb. shock springs.

I could go on with details like replacing almost every bolt and nut with stainless steel, etc.
Ric

Post by Ric »

My 'got it done' list is shorter than my 'Git 'er done' list.

When I bought the bike, It already had the body panel mods by Barry. Minor changes like Radiator Overflow, and extension of the 'sintered' filter on top of the trans, was moved to under the gas tank. A sensor was put in the transmission to monitor Trans. Temps through a three way toggle switch to share information via the Water temp. gage.

Of course, to say the least. The rebuild and '08 upgraded transmission rebuild by Adrian and Tom.

And discovered the beauty of an all aluminum radiator, by removing the cowling around it. Which, in my opinion, enhances the look of the engine.

Went to a car tire, but think I'll switch back to a bike tire... because of the side to side wobble at speeds over 150 mph.

On the wish list.

Am considering Gas tank modifications to extend the tank further (closer to the triple trees) to obtain more fuel, and putting an auxiliary tank under the seat. (I now have a permanently mounted leather carrier on the back rack behind the passenger seat.) So THERE is my 'storage'. I'm going to switch to a Holley Red fuel pump.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Ric

Post by Ric »

And considering a Supercharger. Just in the 'snooping around stage on THAT one!" Undecided to go to a Paxton style like Geezer had on his trike... or a Roots style... as I'm likely to modify the gas tank anyway. Barry introduced me to an engine Guru who seems interested in working on such a project with me. Like I said.... still in 'pipe-dream' mode on THAT.

I have damage to my paint... and might shift to a different color... not sure yet.

Oh, and Bryan Ward modified his batwing fairing hardware to prevent breakage during high speeds in cold weather like mine did. I'm going to do that this winter.

I'm eating throttle grips like no body's bizznazz... the plastic carrier where the throttle ferrule and lead ball sit... keeps breaking. And nope, it's not a tight carb spring... it's the same as my old Shovelhead... So I'm getting a buddy of mine who owns a machine shop to make one out of aluminim for me.

gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Ric,

i just replaced my first grip before i cam back to work, least i was only 3 miles from house when it went south, idling home 1/2 way then i tried again, it worked till i got home. pulled it apart and do not see how it caught enough to get me home. did have to die grind new grip down abit to fit, possibly affecting future longevity of grip,, we'll see.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Ric

Post by Ric »

Although we talked a bit about this problem with the grips in the chat room...

The first two grips, just broke off so that the cables ball and ferrule had nothing to hang on to... it actually jammed bits of the broken plastic, partway into the cable housing. No problem clearing them out of there though. The last one didn't break at the typical spot... it actually 'peeled' away so that the throttle could still be used to get you to 60 mph... but no faster, because that 'peeled section was split in the same direction as the twisting action of the throttle, and it would lift the ball and ferrule up about 1/16th inch... and prevent any more pull. It didn't break on me for the remainder of that riding day. Because I carried two spare Harley throttle grips in my tool bag... I replaced it later at the end of the day with a nice cold beer in hand. It's been good since I went to a stock Harely grip.

My problem is, most of the plastic inserts with that ball and ferrule carrier is GLUED into what ever external grip is used. So nearly impossible to get one apart for my machinist. I'll give him a stock one, and maybe he can just simply measure it... and go from there. THEN I have to find a decent grip I want to use... and try to pry or cut out plastic insert, so I can glue the aluminum unit into place. It should work out.

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I have not done this mod but I believe it is probably the best $$ one will ever spend.

http://www.v8bikers.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1349
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

- Remote Start: Fantastic entertainment value! Highly recommend.
- Flame Thrower System: Never worked properly. Found out later that injecting gasoline into the exhaust pipes is the only way to make this work spectacularly. No guarantees, very dangerous, Boss Hoss pipes point outward rather than backward - must have a wide area when spraying. It's on my to-do list for down the road... maybe.
- NOS: Great for WOW Factor, but not very useful (must hit button at 60 MPH or greater and time to shift into 2nd comes QUICK). Fun to purge nitrous into engine, but one bad NOS backfire and the consequences can be brutal.
- Holley Red: Installed for nitrous system. Too loud! I wouldn't recommend unless you are running NOS. I would love to switch back to stock, but running low on fuel in the middle of a NOS hit is not an ideal situation!
- Baker Air Wings: Looked gay but did an amazing job of eliminating all heat from legs/crotch on hot summer days. In the end (after a couple months with them on) I couldn't take the look anymore. I still have them, but don't think they'll ever end up back on the bike. Highly recommended for long-distance tourers who are more interested in comfort than looks. Actually, they don't look all that bad.
- Speaker System from http://www.mhinstruments.com: Not sure what I was thinking at the time. I guess after 7-8 years with a bike you begin to dig deep for something new. I've since removed the system. However, if you're looking for a great speaker/amplifier system, then MH Instruments is fantastic. If you go to their web site, my burgandy/Black 2000 H-D Heritage Classic is still on there as a testimonial. You could hear it much better on a Hardley!
WANTED LIST:
- High-intensity headlight conversion.
- Better horn (would love a mini airhorn system).

Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
Tom

Post by Tom »

The best modification I did to my Boss Hoss was my chopper..... :mrgreen:
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Our 57 trike is kind of a work in progress;lots of stuff tried,and lots left to modify.

1. 16"x16" Windvest shield;worked better than the 13'x14" Windvest that was on trike when purchased,still wasn't adequate so replaced it with a,,

2. 23"x19" Rifle windshield assy from Tx Boss Hoss; worked very well but just had to try a,,

3. Boss Hoss factory fairing; good wind protection but eventually got tired of its looks so back to a,,

4. 28"x19" Rifle windshield assy from Tx Boss Hoss; 28" wide is a little more than I wanted but 23" or 28" were my only choices. Might narrow it to 26" wide in the future. It works ok but mounting location on the fork sliders is important. Otherwise,Sherry gets a blast of very turbulent air.

5. Transmission upgrades; it stays in 1st & 2nd gear longer,shifts alot firmer,and wide-open shifts went from 3,500 rpm to 5,200 rpm. Best $100 ever spent.

6. Arnott air ride; absolutely the best mod made to our trike,bumps that used to rattle our teeth are hardly felt now.

7. Marv's radiator catch can; works great and looks great.

8. Marv's K&N air cleaner assy; nuff said

9. Muth signal mirrors; another must-have on a trike,they really get people's attention behind you

10. Magnaflow stainless mufflers; sound is a subjective thing but we like them.

11. California Boss Hoss full-length headers; haven't got them installed yet,they're currently at HPC/JetHot in OKC being re-coated inside & out,will not be re-using header wrap

12. 20x10 Boss Motorsports 338 rear wheels and Nitto Invo 295/35/20 tires; nuff said

13. Rhino Line the passenger's feet area; another mod from TX Boss Hoss,looks great and works great,no more of that cheap tape crap

14. 700R4 trans conversion by Adrian West; will be done later this year

15. 3.50 rear & limited slip differential; later this year

16. Billet rear end cover; will replace the present chrome unit
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

My 502 is Mountain built and California maintained - the only mods I did myself was screw on a GPS mounting and strap on an AirHawk seatcover (which is about my level of technical expertise :geek: ).

My all-time favourite after-purchase modification has got to be the Tailgunner Gatling exhausts!

Best of the rest are

Monte Warne
- the 502 engine

Kenny Dean
- the warbird paint

Tom and the Mountain crew
- ram-air tank
- reserve tank
- windshield
- Muth mirrors
- NOS

Victor and the California team
- mounted the Tailgunners
- upgraded the transmission
- (in process) chrome wheels

Thanks guys!
My 100-proof woman
A bottle of 95-proof whiskey
A tank of 90-proof gas
And 502ci of V8 bike
:ridding:
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The best mod I have done (and there are very many) would have to be this:

http://bosshosshelp.com/Menu%20Items/Mo ... pulley.htm

Then scroll to the bottom of the page.

The old pulley adapter has pissed me off more times than I care to count but it is now a non issue. I don't even think about it any more.

Bryan