Tranny Upgrade

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
zenbiker

Tranny Upgrade

Post by zenbiker »

Rumors continue about a new and improved trans for the Boss. I've been on these forums since day one and the rumors about a better tranny have been out there from day one. Anyone have factory connections to validate or denigrate the rumors? :roll: ...Joe
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: Tranny Upgrade

Post by SRF »

Joe, if you are referring to the redesigned output shaft bearing location that is a fact we saw that in place at the last national rally. Other than that I do not know of any changes.

Shane
Matt Dynes

Post by Matt Dynes »

What about the beefed up casing on the 08's? Sounds like that could be a retrofit to at least stop belt skip.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Matt Dynes wrote:What about the beefed up casing on the 08's? Sounds like that could be a retrofit to at least stop belt skip.
That is what I mean about relocated output shaft bearing. I guess my description wasn't very clear. The trans case is redesigned to move the output shaft bearing further out and a new pulley is used. I thought when we first saw it someone said it could not be retrofitted and now I am hearing it may be able to be. I would guess it would require at minimum a new left trans side cover, new pulley, output shaft (or spacer to relocate bearing) but I have not seen inside.

Shane
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I like this idea better than the outboard bearing support . When my tranny needs rebuilding I will retro fit my tranny with the new update . Hopefully it can be adapted to my 2000 tranny .

Jack
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

The interesting thing is that they are fixing a problem that seldom occurs. I know of no one who has had an output bearing failure. Clutches and planetary gears fry but these remain the same? I heard rumors about a NEW tranny which, hopefully, could be power shifted without breaking.. :roll:
PS. BTW...Jeff Hemperly abandoned the outboard bearing support for my bike because he just could not get the shaft extension bolt to run dead true regardless of how he trued it using a dial indicator.
AR

Post by AR »

I agree Joe, its a failure that we have rarely heard about but I have heard of seal issues and with a beefed up output bearing you could wind up the belt tension to avoid belt skip and possibly solve the belt whine that occurs because of flex. I rode behind a couple of guys with new bikes in Germany and that bastard belt whine would have been enough to stop me riding altogether :(

ps; I'm still on the case ;) ;)
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Joe , why don't you look into this output shaft upgrade ? Now would be the time to do it as long as it is apart .

Jack
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

The new bearing location is not necessarily for bearing failures but curing the same things as the addition of an external bearing with internal changes. The new location being under the pulley instead of inboard of the pully will reduce output shaft flex under load of belt tension which should reduce belts slip and possibly reduce damage to palnetary gears. Seems like the first step to a better transmission.

Shane
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Jack...too late. It's back together but with a much beefier 13 ball bearing instead of the stock 9. Hope it is sufficient....Joe