Alternator or Balancer?????

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Badger

Alternator or Balancer?????

Post by Badger »

Alright guys need some help..........Picked up this 502 a week ago and noticed under load(taking off or giving it gas )...a very noticable squeaking!!...So I tightened the alt belt...Didn't help...loosened the belt...No help.........Changed the belt last night and went for a ride this morning.....
Still had the squeaking!!!.........stopped and tightened it a little and all hell broke loose!!!
making all kinds of noise and squeaking and I could see the belt fraying on the alt pulley and the volt meter showed it wasn't charging and then the belt broke.......Easter Sun. and all Auto part stores are closed..I had the belt that I took off at the house if I could only limp home under battery power (20 miles).....

So as I was limping home I noticed I still had the squeak when I gave it gas with no alt. belt...I wondered what the hells up with this???..........made it about 15 miles and then the headlight and speedo quit working...1/2 mile from the house the fuel pump quit working and I was stranded..(Bummer!)........A friend came and we hooked up the jumper cables for about 10 min and that gave me enough juice to make it home.

I put the original belt back on and it squealed loudly!!........So I took the alt off to get another one tomorrow......Here's my questions:

Does the 502 take a V-Belt or Serpentine belt?????

There are no numbers on the chrome alt anywhere..does anyone have the model #....(I'm going to buy a regular one off the shelf and see if it solves any of the problems before getting the chrome one re-built)

The squeaking I was getting when under load with no alt belt has to be the the harmonic balancer I assume...What's causing this???...

HELP>>>HELP>>>

Badger Dave... :(
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: Alternator or Balancer?????

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Badger,
first good to see you post as others have said, i am newer to Hosses got mine in may 07. the model alternator is from summit, one wire, 100 amp. here is the web page for ordering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G ... toview=sku

i did have some belt squeal with stock belt (v-belt) and ordered the serpentine belt kit from the factory and installed it. no squealing since this addition, but mine did not squeal all the time.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thanks Darryl............

I will order one tomorrow (alot cheaper than I thought :P ).......Will try to find one off the shelf at Auto Zone to get me thru the 1 1/2 weeks or so it takes to get here to Fl.(Probably wear it around my neck for awhile as a spare ;) ).......The strange part is having the squeal even with no alt belt on..I'm sure somebody out here has an answer.

If you wouldn't mind could you get me the #'s off your belt (NAPA etc.)and do you have the factorys phone #.......I checked their website from one end to the other and couldn't find a phone #,I need to order a couple of things.

And it's just like the old days...Have the bike a week and already working on it :lol:

Thanks

Badger Dave
EastTnMike

Post by EastTnMike »

Hey Bro', I would check the 3 bolts on the pulley to make sure they are tight, and also could it be the water pump? Sometimes after they sit awhile, a little WD-40 sprayed into the front of the pump will quiet them down. Just a couple of suggestions....When the bolts in my front pulley got just a "little" loose (and I mean VERY little...) It was not a squeal though, more of a "pecking" noise. Might be worth checking anyway.
Mike
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Dave,

factory phone number is 731-286-4915. from my knowledge you have to order through a dealer though. i do not have access to my bike right now, as i am in tokyo airport on my way home, once i get home and settled i will post the number for the serpentine belt i have.
Also summit sells a rebuild kit with all the parts you need for rebuiling your existing alternator.. you could buy a new one and rebuild your old one to have a spare.

here is the link:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... 0kit&dds=1

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Ric

Post by Ric »

Badger Dave.

I have a similar problem, although I've complicated my issue with the fact that I've repainted my bike, and have had all the gages off... and somehow managed to cause the Volt-meter to read zero all the time. SOOO... I can't read the voltage when I'm riding. But, I have a deep whirring sound that tells me that my Alternator bushings/bearings are worn.

Part of the problem is.... my BB 502 2006, bracket broke... (It's a serpentine belt... but cannot find a replacement anywhere!) and I rode the bike about 500 miles before I figured out what was happening. So a buddy welded the bracket, and like most serpentine set-ups... it has go to be perfect. Not quite so in my case... AND he also tightned the belt so that you could play a 'three part harmony' on the belt.... and I get that deep growl/squeal sound.

I lossened off the belt a bit to prevent failure... but it's still a bearing issue.

I get to pay $60.00 Canadian to fix it... but that's cheap compared to a tow truck, and a day or two in a motel in the middle of butt-f..K nowhere. waiting for the wrong part to show up....

The only answer is clear... either replace or repair.... and that's it!

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Tom

Post by Tom »

Dave... The noise being on acceleration only sounds like a drive belt.... Sure it`s not that? Might try some soap on the sides of the belt and see if it goes away. Autozone sells goodyear belts. Should be a 15335. The belt is 33 1/2 inches if it`s a V belt.
Redtro

Post by Redtro »

Dave, That alternator bracket will catch on the fins of the alternator and lock it up if you tighten it up all the way on the adjustment . Sounds like that's what happened when your belt broke.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thanks for the help everyone,I have a new alt coming tomorrow and I'll try again....

Mike....I had that problem with the pulley on my small block...The big block only has a giant harmonic balancer with a groove cut in it...No Bolts

Tom....I'll try the soap stuff on the main drive belt...that could be it....The Bike is so damn loud :P I hear the squeaking but can't tell where it's coming from...I'm putting the serpentine belt that came on the bike back on...If that does't work I'll try the V Belt from Auto Zone

Your probably right,I tighten stuff too much all the time,I'll try and be more careful with the belt this time
Buck
$ite $upporter

Post by Buck »

definitely check and see if the alternator bracket is broken. Next, could the noise be coming from the belt on either the front drive pulley or the rear pulley? Both, when making noises, seem to emanate from the front of the bike
Buck
Tom

Post by Tom »

Dave... The 04 bikes came with a V belt. If you had a serpentine belt it has been upgraded. the number I gave you is for a stock V belt set up.
Ric

Post by Ric »

While you are generously doling out info Tom... any ideas what the numers to an '06 502 serpentine belt is?

Not factory... because no one here will know what that is... anything in a typical serpentine belt supplier? I want to change mine out when I rebuild the alternator, and I also have to heat up and re-align the bracket I had repaired.

When you offer up the number of the serpentine belt.... maybe a couple of brands.... could you post the manufacturer of the belts too? Here in Canada, we speak the same language, but the filing system is a wee bit different.

Thanks my Brudda!

gaston 2005 502

Dayco 5060325 for the serpentine belt.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Ric

Post by Ric »

I'll snag one Darryl. And pack the old one as a spare. Thanks man! Your'e the next best thing to 'release day' from prison! (.)<

Badger

Post by Badger »

Trying a pic to see if it works...Damn...did it right the first time maybe.....Here is a pic when I picked it up....Wanted to get the blown dragster in the backround also...but didn't have the change!! :D

Badger

[/img]
[img]
Attachments
502-2
502-2
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Badger wrote:Trying a pic to see if it works...Damn...did it right the first time maybe.....Here is a pic when I picked it up....Wanted to get the blown dragster in the backround also...but didn't have the change!! :D

Badger
Dave,
that's a good looking bike!! Nice paint job! I think I saw a picture of it before, either in the Boss Hoss mag or in one of my ton's of Boss Hoss pictures saved on my hard drive.

Olaf