Tire Questions,,,,

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Tire Questions,,,,

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

while at work this tour i am going to order tires for the Hoss. with 18 inch wheels and a car tire wheel on back i will stick with the Sumitomo, however i am going to go to a slightly wider 255 than my current 245. hopefully it will fit within my fender.
Now for the question, i have previously read some V8 riders use a rear tire on the front mounted in reverse rotation. How well did this work for you? any comments of this? did you run it once or do you still run it like this? what brand did you use? what size etc? good or bad, comments regarding rear tires mounted on the front are appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Steve Taylor

Re: Tire Questions,,,,

Post by Steve Taylor »

Hi Daryl, I fit many bikes with rear tyres on the front. You must run them in reverse due to the tyre construction, ie it is possible for the tyre joint to open if you don't do this!!!!
The important facts are; check the load rating and make sure you have a centre tread as some rears don't. (You will end up with no wet weather braking without centre grooves :o )
Please excuse the English spelling :lol: :lol: :lol:
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: Tire Questions,,,,

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Steve,

thanks for the reply and the info. this is now getting interesting as the few rear tires i have found do not have any load rating than the regular front tire ratings. will inform of my findings.

Update:

well,, ended up ordering another Metzeler ME 880 140 / 70B 18 M/C 73H Reinf TL
{73 load code is 805 pounds} while being a H rating is for 130MPH, which is lower than i would like,,, i could not find a higher rated tire with a good load rating. my existing tire is a ME 880 140/70/18 MC 67H which is load rated at 677 pounds.}

from what i reviewed i could not find a rear or front tire with a higher load rating for an 18 inch wheel. Metzeler, Michelin, Dunlop or Avon. i really did not consider other brands and really did not consider the Avon due to bad wear on the first two rear motorcycle tires on my Hoss.

Darryl

Darryl
Darryl Campbell