Electrical problem

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Electrical problem

Post by V8Bikers »

I just realized the headlight and rear running /license plate lights are not working. All other lights/turn signals work fine. Starts and runs perfect. It does have the Penta module. The fuses are good and the battery has been removed so I could get a good look around. Without removing the tank, I've checked everything possible (loose connections/grounds) and found no obvious issues. Any ideas?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: Electrical problem

Post by V8Bikers »

found the problem. When I pulled the fuse for that circuit it was not blown but did not feel as tight as the others in the slot, bent the prongs slightly and it has worked fine for several days now.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
EAGLE

Post by EAGLE »

Good catch! Thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Sleep In Peace Tonight!
EAGLE!!!!!
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

V8Bikers wrote:found the problem. When I pulled the fuse for that circuit it was not blown but did not feel as tight as the others in the slot, bent the prongs slightly and it has worked fine for several days now.
Bill -

I'm sure you know this already, you've been around awhile. The fuse block that BH uses is total JUNK :doh: I would highly suggest upgrading the fuse panel, your lucky your 606 is a MBH so at least the wiring is not a "rats nest" and should be in order. I replaced mine with a Blue Seas waterproof panel, the wire connections were screw terminals ... never another electrical issue after that.

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Is this the one? http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Blue+Sea ... QgoduxYAgw It does not say that it is waterproof but its on a marine supply website. Also, does it mount up to the same holes?

DeLand, FL.

Butkicker

Post by Butkicker »

Yes an good choice easy install just take your time
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

="V8Bikers"]Is this the one? http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Blue+Sea ... QgoduxYAgw It does not say that it is waterproof but its on a marine supply website. Also, does it mount up to the same holes?

Hello Bill -

I should have looked at my files to see the part I actually installed. The Blue Sea you show is the same or close to what I ordered (can't find part number on the unit I have here on shelf). When I got the BS block it was better then Boss Hoss factory panel but still not what I wanted. I kept looking and finally decided on this one:

Eastern Beaver PC-8

Very small, high quality ... I mounted in same space as OEM.

Don

PS
I have a brand new Blue Sea ... unsure of model but I could send you pics if your interested. Myself, I would go with the Eastern Beaver. I remember another company that was similiar to EB but I sure can't remember right now ... I'll keep thinking!

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Thanks for the info Don. I noticed that the EB has 8 fuses. I see the screws to connect the wires to the other side but not where the fuses slide in? If I go with Blue seas I would want the 5029. Is there any way you can find out which P/N yours is? Mine currently has the Bussman and has 10-12 fuses "live"

Bill

DeLand, FL.

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

V8Bikers wrote:Thanks for the info Don. I noticed that the EB has 8 fuses. I see the screws to connect the wires to the other side but not where the fuses slide in? If I go with Blue seas I would want the 5029. Is there any way you can find out which P/N yours is? Mine currently has the Bussman and has 10-12 fuses "live"

Bill
Hi Bill -

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your asking but maybe this is the answer ... Looking at pictures above the top (where you see the fuse) is where the "hot" feeds OUT. The lower section (away from where you see fuses) is a grounding bus ... keeps all your grounds for each circuit in one place instead of all over the bike and provides better grounding (goes through panel but direct to neg bat).

You have 12 circuits on your panel/bike? I believe I had 10. I rewired my entire bike because I had problems almost from brand new ... my dealer was an idiot! I only remember seperating my starter relay and fan relay from fuse box when I used the EB. I think the box I used was a painless box and it held both relays and fuses (I think I had one or two open spaces left). I never liked the way the relays were wire tied under side panel ... at least this is the way it was on my bike. I basicly wanted to clean up the wiring mess from dealer.

Your bike is newer then mine and yours was built by reputable dealer so you may not have same issues I had. I replaced just about all my wiring and never had another issue so it worked for me.

Don

PS
Wish I would have taken pictures OR better yet still owned the bike! I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say ... a picture is worth a 1,000 words! I did this probably 6 or 7 years ago :(

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Don,
I took out the battery today and took a good look at the fuse panel with a flashlight and magnifiers. Still looks new, all the wires were tight into the back. Only thing I noticed was a slight bit of surface corrosion on the two terminals at the inside bottom, took apart and cleaned them up with some light grit sand paper and they look fresher. So, I'll just keep this one for now. It is the Bussman.

Aside from one fuse that was a hair loose, there are not any issues other than a bad front brake switch which I am going to start a new thread on.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep that in mind for the future.

DeLand, FL.