rear brake light adjustment

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
V8Bikers
Site Admin

rear brake light adjustment

Post by V8Bikers »

My wife noticed the other day that coming to a slow stop the rear brake lights did not come on. However, when I press hard on the pedal they do. Looked for an adjustment to increase the sensitivity but found none.

- is there a way to adjust?
- could the rear switch be going out?

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
V-MAN

Re: rear brake light adjustment

Post by V-MAN »

Bill -

BH uses a pressure type rear brake light switch. There is no adjustment that can be made. If it is working with heavy pressure I would guess either it is starting to go bad or maybe you have some air in the line? I know you were talking about bleeding brakes in another post ... or I think you were anyway?

I replaced mine once, bought the switch from Napa, I"ll look and see if I can find a part number ... not 100% I will find it?

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

Bill -

The part number for switch is SL134 (Napa). They're cheap ... I paid $11.34 with tax!

Maybe Jack will jump in here, I remember he changed his pressure switch to an electrical setup ... I think it was a Honda setup but don't remember exactly. I think it worked real well for him.

Don
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

I changed mine to a mechanical switch. It came off of a Honda Helix. I just made a little "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the lower frame using one of the bolts that holds the two halves together. the stock Honda spring goes from the switch to the pedal. I don't have any pix, but it's a pretty simple deal
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Carl La Fong wrote:I changed mine to a mechanical switch. It came off of a Honda Helix. I just made a little "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the lower frame using one of the bolts that holds the two halves together. the stock Honda spring goes from the switch to the pedal. I don't have any pix, but it's a pretty simple deal
I did basically the same thing except I used a Goldwing mechanical switch . Has been working for at least 10 years .
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

Thanks for the suggestions, part #'s guys. I'll look into
them.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Painless makes a low pressure 20 amp brake switch. I had to replace the front micro switch in the Joker switches after not having brake lights when using it. It was tough solderinging in the new one. Its only rated at 3 amps so I added a relay (like i should have done in the first place).. jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321258118579?ss ... 1438.l2649