BH trans rumors

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: BH Trans Rumors

Post by CanuckHoss »

petitemoose wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:My guess is being that its built by a company that specializes in gear products it will be a good one. The other reason why I was excited when I learned about this was I ASSUMED it would cost less, maybe like 3000 dollars. If it costs more than a Nesco than some of my excitement will be tempered. The transmissions that Tom Chadwell rebuilt are still together without problems. If the new one costs significantly more than rebuilding the old Nesco than it might not be such a godsend. If Mountain has the exclusive rights to it than it seems to me we might be in the same boat as Boss Hoss having the exclusive rights to the Nesco. If Mountain sells it at a reasonable price then it will be great for us, the riders. If its gonna be another six or ten thousand dollar trans then we're right back where we started from. Mountain normally sells high dollar but quality bikes. I expect that the tranny if its a quality product will also cost more than I had hoped for when I thought it was going to be available to anybody directly thru the manufacturer. Stan doesn't even sell his transmissions, whats to say Mountain will. Maybe Mountain will start building their own bikes, they already build all the bodywork. A frame is all they're lacking. Lots of questions still, maybe some of you guys that know Tom at Mountain already know the answers to.
My thoughts exactly. IMO Mountain seems to charge a LOT more than anybody else for comparable items. If by some miraculous chance they price it less than the factory Nesco unit, then I can see them selling about 4 times as many as if they stick to their normal outrageous pricing structure. That ,of course would actually bring in more money and they would look a lot better to the Manufacturer of the tranny and insure they retain the exclusive rights.
Time will tell ... Most new releases have bugs and it is up to the manufacturer on how well the bugs are fixed and the existing customers cared for.
My scoot is showing no signs of needing help but it would be nice to have options if / when it does ;)
Tom at Mountain does excellent quality work out of his shop...some is not cheap but then again cheap is a lot of times not good.

Glad I got to spend a bunch of time with him in March and get a feel for him and now I know the man behind this new transmission a lot better.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
SQ4MN

Re: BH trans rumors

Post by SQ4MN »

Sounds like you know him pretty good. How bout calling him and see what his plans are with the trans. Is he gonna sell em to anybody? Just dealers? Is he gonna do like Stan and just put em in his own bikes? How much will they cost? Is he gonna tell ya anything or just wish ya a Merry Christmas? Everybody agrees he does excellent work out of his shop, so does Vanquish. Most of us can't afford either. Those that can don't give a damn about how much the trans costs.
Last edited by SQ4MN on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Gila

Post by Gila »

Anyone know if what it has for reverse ,,, does it have electronics that will adapt to our shift indicators ,,, does it have a park ,,, What kind of oil and filters ,,, easily serviced ,,, ???????

I am excited ,,,

Mike

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Sounds like you know him pretty good. How bout calling him and see what his plans are with the trans. Is he gonna sell em to anybody? Just dealers? Is he gonna do like Stan and just put em in his own bikes? How much will they cost? Is he gonna tell ya anything or just wish ya a Merry Christmas? Everybody agrees he does excellent work out of his shop, so does Vanquish. Most of us can't afford either. Those that can don't give a damn about how much the trans costs.
Dave...I should for sure....I will give him a shout tomorrow and then share as much as he wants me to....

Even if he just wishes me a Merry Xmas I am good with that..
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

V8Bikers
Site Admin

Post by V8Bikers »

I do know it is a clean sheet design. The only things it shares with the Nesco is that it has 2 speeds, reverse, neutral and is a direct bolt in. A new Nesco is about 10k.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Bill a new Nesco is only about ten grand because of Boss Hoss. If you could buy it from Nesco with only Nesco getting the profit it would be a lot less. A new 700R4 is only about four grand.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

CanuckHoss wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Sounds like you know him pretty good. How bout calling him and see what his plans are with the trans. Is he gonna sell em to anybody? Just dealers? Is he gonna do like Stan and just put em in his own bikes? How much will they cost? Is he gonna tell ya anything or just wish ya a Merry Christmas? Everybody agrees he does excellent work out of his shop, so does Vanquish. Most of us can't afford either. Those that can don't give a damn about how much the trans costs.
Dave...I should for sure....I will give him a shout tomorrow and then share as much as he wants me to....

Thanks Barry, all you can do is ask, and even if he doesn't wish you a Merry Christmas, I will.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:

Thanks Barry, all you can do is ask, and even if he doesn't wish you a Merry Christmas, I will.
:canada:
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

V8Bikers wrote:Update,
I spoke with Winters Performance who directed me to Tom from Mountain Boss Hoss. I had a nice conversation with Tom and was given permission to let you know that this 2 speed transmission is in the works and hopefully will be tested in Jan/Feb time frame on a Boss Hoss. If all goes well Tom will have the tranny in a bike at the Daytona Bike Week Rally in March 2014. It will be a direct replacement for the Nesco without any modifications needed, and Mountain will be the exclusive dealer. This is great news!! :thumbup:
Tom and I just chatted and above is pretty much what I can share with you here. Other interesting info was shared but unfortunately not for public knowledge.

According to Tom, once testing is done...could be 2 months testing or could be 3 or 4 months testing....the new tranny will be for sale and available to anyone.

Nesco's are not low priced transmissions and neither will this one be low priced.

I guess once it is listed on their website for sale a lot of questions will be answered.

Best of luck Tom....
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

My transmission was rebuilt by the California boys, and has ran strong and clean since the 08 upgrades. It was suggested I run Dexron 6 transmission fluid, and I reliably do. Because of our shorter riding season, I change the fluid twice a year, but generally put 10,000 miles (Not Kilometers) every summer on my bike - My tranny crapped out when I only had 8000 miles. Now I have almost 60,000 miles on the bike.

If my tranny grenades on me again, I'll keep my ear to the ground with Stan's unit… but also anxiously await the word on the new "MBH"?? transmission.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

SQ4MN wrote:Bill a new Nesco is only about ten grand because of Boss Hoss. If you could buy it from Nesco with only Nesco getting the profit it would be a lot less. A new 700R4 is only about four grand.
Yeah, but thousands of 700R4's are produced and sold; profit through volume.
It would be sweet if cost comes-in around $6k.
Would be double sweet if Tom allows BH to have this tranny in new bikes, delete Nesco; the higher production volumes would help to bring down purchase price for those wanting to upgrade.
I'm also happy that no traitor from this site has yet copied this tranny scoop and pasted onto the other site.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Grand Canard wrote: I'm also happy that no traitor from this site has yet copied this tranny scoop and pasted onto the other site.
Nobody needs a new trans over there. They have Adrian.
Attachments
Adrians Parts Shop.jpg
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Grand Canard wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Bill a new Nesco is only about ten grand because of Boss Hoss. If you could buy it from Nesco with only Nesco getting the profit it would be a lot less. A new 700R4 is only about four grand.
Yeah, but thousands of 700R4's are produced and sold; profit through volume.
It would be sweet if cost comes-in around $6k.
Would be double sweet if Tom allows BH to have this tranny in new bikes, delete Nesco; the higher production volumes would help to bring down purchase price for those wanting to upgrade.
I'm also happy that no traitor from this site has yet copied this tranny scoop and pasted onto the other site.
I don't think Mountain is going to sell the trannys for six grand. I think Mountain is going to make their own bike. If Mountain does sell transmissions and makes their own bikes I think their relationship with Boss Hoss will go south. If this turns out to be true Mountain will make a great bike that will look good and have the better trans. They'll be in direct competition with Boss Hoss which won't make them thrilled. I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Mountains plans I'm just speculating.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Ric

Post by Ric »

I wish Mountain would stop putting $20,000.00 paint jobs in their 606's. Maybe they'd be affordable to a 'pickle lugger' like me. Plain black, NO fancy chrome… I'm sure the price would be reasonable then…. but I guess it's because I'm not their target market. Looks like I'll just simply have to buy a crate 606 on my own. :canada:

Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Vanquish plans to offer a less expensive alternative V8 bike so that's probably the trans they will utilize.
Clint & Sherry
2006 Boss Hoss 57 trike (sold)
Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Grand Canard wrote: I'm also happy that no traitor from this site has yet copied this tranny scoop and pasted onto the other site.
Traitor? :wft:
Clint & Sherry
Gila

Post by Gila »

Hey Ric

I am sure MBH would build a bike to your specs ,,, Just need to contact Tom ,,,

Mike

Ric

Post by Ric »

I suspect you are right Mikey. I'm still haunted with 'pickle-lugger' status. So a new MBH bike might not yet be in the cards. I love my Big Block muchly, but was bitten by the bug when I heard Stu's 606! He had some idle issues, but I suspect that can and has been rectified.

I find that haunting sound, and the slightly lighter weigh very appealing. Bragging rights tend to haunt the male ego as well… but not to the cost of simply upgrading for those few elements.

Just because I WANT to, doesn't necessarily reflect on I SHOULD! LOL :hmmmm:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Clint44 wrote:
Traitor? :wft:
I ask that too Clint...I think we can be members of both sites without being looked at funny and can share stuff when it comes out regardless of which site came first.

Great people on both sites still.

I know from experience that a person can advertise on both sites with not toooo much difficulty...lol
CanuckHoss

Gila

Post by Gila »

Hey Ric

I hear ya ,,, I wish my 502 sounded more like a dragster ,,, my LS3 sounds much more like a high performance unit then my 502 ,,, especially when you walk on it ,,,

Couldn't Barry order in a 606 and trade out your existing 502 ,,, or could we not do things to the 502 to make it sound like the 606 ,,, would still have the weight issue ,,, but much less investment (maybe) ,,

By far the coolest sounding engine I have heard in a V8 Scooter was a V8 Chopper with the 427 ,,, holy crap ,,, total power ,,,

Regards Mike

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gila wrote:Hey Ric

I hear ya ,,, I wish my 502 sounded more like a dragster ,,, my LS3 sounds much more like a high performance unit then my 502 ,,, especially when you walk on it ,,,

Couldn't Barry order in a 606 and trade out your existing 502 ,,, or could we not do things to the 502 to make it sound like the 606 ,,, would still have the weight issue ,,, but much less investment (maybe) ,,

By far the coolest sounding engine I have heard in a V8 Scooter was a V8 Chopper with the 427 ,,, holy crap ,,, total power ,,,

Regards Mike
Ric is a touring high mileage guy and a 606 is not that kind of motor / bike...Ric would get about 90 miles to a tank rather than 120...

Your first SB Mike was a great sounding SB...
CanuckHoss

Gila

Post by Gila »

Your right Barry ,,, my (used to be) ZZ4 with the 206 cam is a great sounding V8 ,,, in my opinion much nicer then my 502 ,,, but still doesn't have that sound of real HP ,,,
By the way ,,, I sold that bike to a very good friend of mine ,,, that bike has run without issues since you repaired that carb problem ,,, that engine runs super cool ,,,, beautiful machine ,,, I see & ride it every summer ,,, Does need a kewlmetal front end ,,,

Mike

Grand Canard

Post by Grand Canard »

Clint44 wrote:Vanquish plans to offer a less expensive alternative V8 bike so that's probably the trans they will utilize.
A brand new drag racing rated power-glide transmission can be had starting around $4500, ultra light tricked-out version $8000.
I doubt Kelly will be offering a more expensive, less reliable transmission in his scooters.

"Work when you have to,
Quit when you can.
Follow your dream
Be your own man.
Drink when you're thirsty
Whoop when you're high.
Love a good woman...
Ride till you die."
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Gila wrote:Your right Barry ,,, my (used to be) ZZ4 with the 206 cam is a great sounding V8 ,,, in my opinion much nicer then my 502 ,,, but still doesn't have that sound of real HP ,,,
By the way ,,, I sold that bike to a very good friend of mine ,,, that bike has run without issues since you repaired that carb problem ,,, that engine runs super cool ,,,, beautiful machine ,,, I see & ride it every summer ,,, Does need a kewlmetal front end ,,,

Mike
It was a nice machine...glad you get to see it once in a while.

Stu's 434 is a one nasty sounding SOAB too hey??
CanuckHoss

Clint44

Post by Clint44 »

Grand Canard wrote:
Clint44 wrote:Vanquish plans to offer a less expensive alternative V8 bike so that's probably the trans they will utilize.
A brand new drag racing rated power-glide transmission can be had starting around $4500, ultra light tricked-out version $8000.
I doubt Kelly will be offering a more expensive, less reliable transmission in his scooters.
That's assuming the Winters unit is not as durable as the Coan unit they use in the Vanquish,Ricky. If I remember our last phone conversation correctly,Mike told me there were no plans to use the Coan trans in his new bike. I could be wrong,though. Sure wouldn't be the first time.
Clint & Sherry