Help with Boss Hoss gas tank

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ronald
$ite $upporter

Help with Boss Hoss gas tank

Post by Ronald »

:cry: This is driving me nuts now, I have a 2009 Boss Hoss LS3 trike with a corvette body, yes, I know, vette body does not belong on a 2009 trike, but it was custom made, now, the gas tank capacity should be 8.5 gal and around 20miles/gal, now, I drove the bike until it ran out of gas, the trike died on the road because lack of gas, switched to aux tank, took a little while to fire up the trike, but finally it did and I made it to gas station, filled up to the neck and only 6.5 gal went in!, is not the first time, no matter what, I have not been able to put more than 6.5 gal in the gas tank, I'm missing 2 gal, does anybody have had the same problem? and my millage sucks, I get 100 miles per tank, maybe 107, but no more, does anybody know if there is another size gas tank besides the 5 gal and 8.5 gal tanks? could be that my tank is not 8.5 gal?
Any help would be highly appreciate :banghead:

if it has a solution, why to worry? and if not, why to worry?
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: Help with Boss Hoss gas tank

Post by Carl La Fong »

It sounds like there is still 2 (+-) gallons of gas in the tank. Check your crossover line to be sure it is running straight from one side to the other. If it is looped up, the right side of the tank won't empty. Can't help with your lousy mileage.
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

Thanks a lot, it makes sense, will remove gas tank and see hoses/lines, will post when I find something, but again, thanks for the idea

Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

:thumbup: Spoke with Matt at Boss Hoss factory, I sent pictures of the tank and trike, most likely it IS a 6.5 gal tank!! back in 1991 there were 6.5 gal tanks and since this trike has been customize with body of that year and newer engine, looks that is what they used, a 6.5 gal tank!
Still will lift the tank and check lines just to be sure there is no kink or loops, but if not, at least I know that I'm not missing gas!
Now still have to find why only 15-17 millage/gal

3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

"Now still have to find why only 15-17 millage/gal"

Do you "play" much? If I cruise a tank out on the interstate at 70-75 mph, I can get 25 mpg. But, if I "play", I pay... less than 20 mpg easy, I think I've seen 17-18... but I'm not sure about the 15... You can just about hear the fuel getting sucked down the drain when you're playing... Try to get through a whole tank riding like your grandmother - I know it's hard - but make an effort and see what you get...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Ronald wrote::thumbup: Spoke with Matt at Boss Hoss factory, I sent pictures of the tank and trike, most likely it IS a 6.5 gal tank!! back in 1991 there were 6.5 gal tanks and since this trike has been customize with body of that year and newer engine, looks that is what they used, a 6.5 gal tank!
Still will lift the tank and check lines just to be sure there is no kink or loops, but if not, at least I know that I'm not missing gas!
Now still have to find why only 15-17 millage/gal
!5 may be a bit low....but it is the LS3 more powerful than the stock 385SB I have... you need to do a really good / accurate test.

In Daytona my new to me trike seemed like it was using a lot of fuel.

I filled it to the almost neck bottom at a station near the Interstate..pretty damn full. Then did 40 miles one way and 40 miles back on the Interstate at 70 to 75 mph..never over the 75.

My mileage was 17 mpg..not bad with 8 gallons in the tank and over 2 in the reserve. A bit of an oversize rubber with a 13% bigger circumference would get me close to 20...worth while in my opinion as the rpm would be lowered by almost 300

This is an FI Smallblock, 3 speed tranny and only 3,000 miles
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
V-MAN

Post by V-MAN »

CanuckHoss wrote: In Daytona my new to me trike seemed like it was using a lot of fuel.
Sorry Barry ... I was probably to blame for your poor fuel mileage! It was fun though eh? :usa: :canada:

If it makes you feel better Ronald I get BEST 12mpg when my wife is along for the ride. When I'm by myself generally I'll get around 8. I think the worse I got calculated to 6.? but maybe my tank was not "filled all the way" :P That's my story and I'm sticking to it ...
IF YOU TELL THE TRUTH YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER ANYTHING

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

8.5 gallon tank. I have never been able to put more than 8 gallons in. Best Miles per tank was 145. Worst was 65 ... but it was a LOT of fun :)
05 Small Block (Carbureted)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

3FOR2 wrote:"Now still have to find why only 15-17 millage/gal"

Do you "play" much? If I cruise a tank out on the interstate at 70-75 mph, I can get 25 mpg. But, if I "play", I pay... less than 20 mpg easy, I think I've seen 17-18... but I'm not sure about the 15... You can just about hear the fuel getting sucked down the drain when you're playing... Try to get through a whole tank riding like your grandmother - I know it's hard - but make an effort and see what you get...
BUT you have a 4 speed overdrive..no?? If so big difference
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

"BUT you have a 4 speed overdrive..no?? If so big difference"

Yup yup. Big difference. I think after reading these replies, Ron is probably feeling better...
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
Ronald
$ite $upporter

Post by Ronald »

:thanks: YES!!!!!!! I feel a lot better now!! my trike is normal!!! it is a big relief ;)
For Leesburg weekend, I'll take the SR27 road all the way from Ft Lauderdale to Leesburg, that will keep me in side a speed limit that will allow me to have a much better gas consumption and hopefully get more than 15-17 miles/gal, well, to be honest, I think is having my wife riding with me that will keep me at "normal "speeds! jejeje
Thanks a million for sharing your thoughts and experiences, they were very helpful !! :goodjob:

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

My Boss has the standard 8.5 gallon tank and I run Pingel reserve peacock . I can normally ride about 150+ miles and when I run out of gas and have to switch my petcock to reserve and find a gas station right away the tank will only take 6.5 gallons to fill it meaning I still have about 2 gallons reserve . I believe the pingel peacock I'm using was intended to be used on a Harley 5 gallon tank thus the peacock tube inside the tank is the right length to allow about 3/4 of reserve in a 5 gallon tank . But with the 8.5 gallon tank it leaves about 2 gallons . I have ridden about 20 miles on reserve and could have probably gone farther but didn't want to push my luck but when I did finally fill up it took about 7.5 gallons .