New Transmission

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

New Transmission

Post by Carl La Fong »

I noticed, over on the Ladies Knitting and Tea Society site, that someone is designing a new superlegatz V8 motorcycle trans. Sigh...........again?
I'm sure he is sincere and, perhaps has the skill set. It seem so when you read the post. The problem, as always, will be cost per unit. At the lowest possible retail price, it will still be out of the reach of all but the very well heeled. I have no idea what it costs to produce a working prototype, but I'm sure it ain't paper route money. If it were to go into production and you could buy one for 12-15K, I think that might be a bargain. I still believe that the only way to sell a new trans is to build bikes around them. As a stand alone product, it just costs way too much, Even my Ranger conversion would not be practical for anyone but a do it yourselfer, like me. I never kept a tally, but I probably have 4K invested. That's all parts, no labor. But, as always, I'll sit back and watch. Still waiting for the revolutionary new 5 speed Dynaclaw that was announced, what, 5 years ago?? Maybe Sharktank or Kickstarter might be the answer
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
ventury

Re: New Transmission

Post by ventury »

Carl.All good valued points above,gained from experience.
Though I like the thought of young guys(or gals) with a comfort for the ever changing technology To explore without caution or maybe logic,with little or no insight to budgets/costings,pioneering spirit .What is always good to hear,is when some outside the odds project works and takes off...happy ending stuff I guess
I read a book on this guy Robert Kearns "little man defies the odds"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

Ventury
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

He had better hurry with all the talk about Tom's tranny being so close to reality it might be a waste of time and money. But then again a little competition will help keep cost down :mrgreen:

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Since I always enjoy stirring the shit a little I will ask if you guys know that NESCO no longer supplies or builds transmissions for Boss Hoss. Boss Hoss to my knowledge is supposed to be looking to have the parts or a complete transmission made by someone else.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

I have heard that as well. I heard that BH can't ship any new orders because of just that reason. I heard this just over a month ago but didn't bother asking in Daytona because they wouldn't tell me anyway :) Maybe that is why they are pushing the trikes so hard ...
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

SQ4MN wrote:Since I always enjoy stirring the shit a little I will ask if you guys know that NESCO no longer supplies or builds transmissions for Boss Hoss. Boss Hoss to my knowledge is supposed to be looking to have the parts or a complete transmission made by someone else.
I heard before the Paris rally last fall, where Tom from Mountain BH rode his big block with their new transmission..Tom said it performs well ..Not sure about cost or production..But he an Monty seemed to talk a lot that weekend??? :dunno:
phpBB [video]
Hanginon

Post by Hanginon »

:deadhorse: Rehash... I wish I had a dollar for every time the transmission issue came up for our trans devouring machines.. I'd be able to produce one myself then! As with most performance machines, there always seems to be a weak link.. unfortunately this weak link has existed for WAY too long, most of which seemed to be the stone headed engineers in the Nesco department... I remember brainstorming with the crew.. well, the OLD crew 9 years ago on the Tea party site (as Carl calls it :-), when ideas were flying around like vultures over a good road kill.. some things evolved but most died in process. The Ranger did take a bite and is a viable solution as I own one as well however, power shifting an automatic under heavy to full throttle is less dangerous and takes less thought than a Ranger. Then there's the reverse gear... Otherwise, the Ranger is rock solid with a 25k GVW capacity and almost 500ft lb of torque capability. The rear tire will never stick long enough to see those specs. I believe this will be a topic of discussion for years to come yet... unless someone with the US treasury's wallet steps in to construct a shorter version of the powerglide with some sort of integral design to accommodate the 90 degree drive assembly. Until then, it will either be a trike or an ongoing dream for a while. Personally, I've often considered lengthening all of my BH's to welcome a TH350 but always run into the same issue, the 90 degree gear box. IF there was a way to plug a converter onto a Ranger trans without banging gears, that would be nice. The Ranger 3 is synchronized and shifts nicely when disengaged (via clutch) between shifts. I know for me, every time I ride, I start to drift into engineering thought of a better way... I can only hope it comes in a dream because the cost of fuel to keep the first part up is getting outrageous! :eye_crazy: :frustrated: :anvil:

Here's to keeping hope... :capwin:
"It ain't over till the secondaries open"!!!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

randy burkey wrote:
SQ4MN wrote:Since I always enjoy stirring the shit a little I will ask if you guys know that NESCO no longer supplies or builds transmissions for Boss Hoss. Boss Hoss to my knowledge is supposed to be looking to have the parts or a complete transmission made by someone else.
I heard before the Paris rally last fall, where Tom from Mountain BH rode his big block with their new transmission..Tom said it performs well ..Not sure about cost or production..But he an Monty seemed to talk a lot that weekend??? :dunno:
Tom did ride his BB with the new tranny to Paris and beat the crap out of it...did it break? Nope! Is it a copy of anything to date? No... was it a secret? I don't believe so but not sure why nobody said anything about it anywhere after Paris as the rumours were everywhere about Tom's new tranny almost 2 years ago.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

I am neither special or smart for that matter.But about 1 1/2-2 years ago I saw trans parts, cases etc. of the "new" trans. at Mountains shop..looked to be beefier than the nesco..But I'm not familiar with nesco innerds. But was asked not to say anything as it was very early in development..Hope Tom and Monte can come together and make it a reality..Or Tom may be thinking of his own brand of bike..Big blocks anyone??
phpBB [video]
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

If Tom is going to have a new transmission why after two years is it not done? What does he say? Barry if you KNOW it was not a copy anything than you must KNOW something about it, how about letting us know?

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:If Tom is going to have a new transmission why after two years is it not done? What does he say? Barry if you KNOW it was not a copy anything than you must KNOW something about it, how about letting us know?
I thought I did when I said it was not a copy...adding to that I guess it is a "ground up" build...made to retro-fit
Last edited by CanuckHoss on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
Tom

Post by Tom »

Maybe they should just get back to basics if they want a trans that is both small and tough.. Single speed and automatic.. add a bunch of hp and gear it right.. My tranny is like a rubber dick.. beat it.. pound on it.. ride it hard and put it away wet... ready to go the next day..
But then.. This opens the whole tranny debate again.. kinda like tires.. anyone wanna beat up the tire thing again?.. Just think... a car tire that handles like a bike tire.. What the hell.. Maybe we could make a tire out of pussy!! Burn that mother up all day.. leave it alone for a couple weeks and you got a brand new tire again.. Even I could market that!!
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

^^^^ :lol: :toofunny: ^^^^

randy burkey

Post by randy burkey »

Tom wrote:Maybe they should just get back to basics if they want a trans that is both small and tough.. Single speed and automatic.. add a bunch of hp and gear it right.. My tranny is like a rubber dick.. beat it.. pound on it.. ride it hard and put it away wet... ready to go the next day..
But then.. This opens the whole tranny debate again.. kinda like tires.. anyone wanna beat up the tire thing again?.. Just think... a car tire that handles like a bike tire.. What the hell.. Maybe we could make a tire out of pussy!! Burn that mother up all day.. leave it alone for a couple weeks and you got a brand new tire again.. Even I could market that!!
Man wonder what that tire smoke would smell like?? While we are on the subject of single speeds..My 97 had one and after years of towing a trailer and hot rodding..It blew all the fluid out countershaft seal..replaced seal 3 miles up the road and did it again..Mountain rebuilt and was fine..Just wondering what happened??
phpBB [video]
ventury

Post by ventury »

SQ4MN wrote:If Tom is going to have a new transmission why after two years is it not done? What does he say? Barry if you KNOW it was not a copy anything than you must KNOW something about it, how about letting us know?

That maybe is worth a good talk to Tom,,,,not sure Barry(spelt right with a smiley face) is as upto date as he would like to think he is,,,,
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

THERE IS NO NEW TRANSMISSION ONLY A NEW LINE OF BS

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Can someone tell me Why on God's Green earth we can't use this technology with a modified 90 degree output shaft?? It has park, Neutral Low and High gears and is obviously rated for the horsepower ...

http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductLine=XMT
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

There has been a delay in the development of the Fong-o-Matic trans. It seems that Greenpeace and PITA has made it virtually impossible to obtain the sperm whale oil that it was designed to run on. I tried straight sperm but, to be honest, it was a bit fatiguing to produce enough to top off the gearbox. It did work OK, but the shifts were a bit sticky. I'm hoping that the mink oil, that was recommended, will be an effective substitute. I have built a mink press and will begin extracting the oil tomorrow. I find it's much easier to crack them over the head first, with a mallet, since they tend to wiggle out of the press. Plus, they make an obnoxious sound when under pressure.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

petitemoose wrote:Can someone tell me Why on God's Green earth we can't use this technology with a modified 90 degree output shaft?? It has park, Neutral Low and High gears and is obviously rated for the horsepower ...

Since it is a marine transmission, it isn't designed to work with a torque converter. If it could be modified with a conventional front pump, you could hook it up to a Curtis box and have an unbreakable trans
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

petitemoose wrote:Can someone tell me Why on God's Green earth we can't use this technology with a modified 90 degree output shaft?? It has park, Neutral Low and High gears and is obviously rated for the horsepower ...

That is basically what is on a Vanquish, short bellhousing, and right angle gear.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

A couple of shots of the Vanquish Powerglide
Attachments
632CIDVanquishEngine_006p.jpg
632CIDBigBlockVanquish004p.jpg
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

And right angle gear, and short bell housing.
Attachments
632CIDVanquishEngine_009p.jpg
632CIDBigBlockVanquish008p.jpg
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

ROFL Story of my life ... Day Late and a Dollar short! Well, At least I have confirmation it was at least a GOOD idea :)
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

All front wheel drive cars must have some sort of right angle drive transmission set up that might hold an idea.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

SQ4MN wrote:All front wheel drive cars must have some sort of right angle drive transmission set up that might hold an idea.
Like the FWD Caddy's ...