Fender mounting

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
502wingman

Re: Fender mounting

Post by 502wingman »

Jack,
coming back to the clearance between the fender and the tire: Some of the guys in the pictures have fixed the fender on the swingarm. This means that the clearance stays the same all the time because the fender is moving up and down as the swingarm and the tire does. I have not seen Andys Stingray for a while, but his may be the same setup.
Peter
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Peter , I have seen some that have their fenders fastened to their swing arm but I really think with just me riding my Boss the 2" clearance and the 350 lb. springs it will not be a problem considering also the adjustments I have with compressing springs and dampeners . If I still have a problem I purposely made the fender mounting adjustable so I can raise the fender some if I have to . With Cheryl and I both on the bike I may have to resort to the rubber bumps stops that I made to insure the fender does not contact the tire with both our weight . I rarely ride Cheryl because she has her own bike .

Jack
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Bruce Vetti at Stamford Boss routinely mounts the fender to the swing arm on his custom builds and, therefore, he can run the fender VERY close to the tire. It looks great but it means your fender has to be completely independent from the seat. Only good for solo seat setups.
Rob...What don't you understand about my post below?
Rob...my boy. If you wind the spring up with a non-fully extended shock, the spring will keep extending the shock until the shock is fully extended. If you stop short of full extension, the spring will just act as it's inherent qualities dictate. I'm not sure what you are missing here, Robbie...Joe
AR

Post by AR »

wildman wrote:

Quote:
Rob...my boy. If you wind the spring up with a non-fully extended shock, the spring will keep extending the shock until the shock is fully extended. If you stop short of full extension, the spring will just act as it's inherent qualities dictate. I'm not sure what you are missing here, Robbie...Joe

Joe...there's so many humorous options to take here but I'll be serious cause I'm almost out of friends when it comes to this topic. What has bothered me for so long is the concept of preloading the springs on aBoss Hoss. Generally speaking, and I feel like I've said this many times but all who would talk to me about the subject (including several dealers and even Rad some years ago) were of the opinion that by winding up the springs you would IMMEDIATELY be introducing preload into the springs. As we both have determined quote Doc Joe "If you stop short of full extension, the spring will just act as it's inherent qualities dictate" which means....preload is not introduced until the shock is fully extended and with reference to Aldans catalogue and the factories advice of 50/50 setting, we have to wind the bleeding springs up approximately 1.5 inches before we obtain full extension and then commence introducing preload. Simultaneously for the first 1.5 inches as the shock overall length gets longer we are simply winding the back end up 1.5 inches further off the ground. In most cases people would have been satisfied with say 1 more inch of shock extension as they were no longer bottoming out because they were effectively introducing more compressive travel (see my sketch post on page 1) and allowing room for the spring to further compress, and likely thinking they had introduced preload. But as you can see it has been my opinion they havent but I have never found anybody who agrees and I'm sure i will continue to do so.
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Rob I think the difference in opinion is that you believe most bikes still have 1 1/2 inches to raise. I don't remember my shocks ever extending atleast that much anyway when raising the center of the bike. Your explanation works fine if that 1 1/2 inches is available. The distance you mention could possibly be including the rubber spacer on the shock shaft?

Shane
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Aussie Rob wrote:
wildman wrote:

Quote:

Joe...there's so many humorous options to take here but I'll be serious cause I'm almost out of friends when it comes to this topic. But as you can see it has been my opinion they havent but I have never found anybody who agrees and I'm sure i will continue to do so.
Come on now Rob,, just because someone does not agree with you don't mean they ain't your friend. Heck Rob, I'll be a character witness for you and i ain't even got no character! :shock: :lol: :roll: 8-) 8-)
Darryl Campbell
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Rob...I totally agree with your last post. Winding up the spring just increases the length of the shock until it is fully extended. From that point on it is being pre-loaded. We are on the same page here.
What about "My boy" offended you? Certainly no offense intended :) At my age...everyone is a "boy"...Joe
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Well so far riding around Daytona with Cheryl and I both on the bike my 2" of fender to tire clearance seems to be OK . I haven't really encountered any real bumps but so far so good .

Jack
AR

Post by AR »

hogv8 wrote:Well so far riding around Daytona with Cheryl and I both on the bike my 2" of fender to tire clearance seems to be OK . I haven't really encountered any real bumps but so far so good .

Jack
Jack, you do these things with your hands that the rest of us can only dream of. I know a guy that rides serious western style (horses) and in his spare time turns strips of leather and lumps of stainless steel into 18th century saddle museum pieces. :shock: Some guys have got it and that shift knob setup you made confirmed you blessed too you old hippy. Pissing in your pocket here but...could you please post pics of your fender mounts they gotta be worth looking at, and maybe some Daytona action while you at it.