An electrical question for a 2015 trike.

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
TXscooterguy

An electrical question for a 2015 trike.

Post by TXscooterguy »

I'd like to connect two 12 volt power leads. One I'd like to be controlled by the ignition key. I would like the other to remain hot when the key is off. When I'm camping I'd like to be able to lock the trike, lock my cellphone in the trunk and still allow it to charge from the main battery. It would be ideal if the "always on" lead would go off with the large switch mounted inside the trunk. Thanks.
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Re: An electrical question for a 2015 trike.

Post by Carl La Fong »

Simple enough, I suppose.
Connect one to any switched terminal on your fuse box. That's your "ignition on" lead. Connect the other to the hot lead going into the fuse box. That's your "always on" lead. I'm not sure what you mean by the large switch in the trunk. Is it a battery cutoff switch? If so, does it cut the positive or the negative? If it interupts the ground, then I don't think you can do it without adding a relay
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Carl La Fong wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by the large switch in the trunk. Is it a battery cutoff switch? If so, does it cut the positive or the negative? If it interupts the ground, then I don't think you can do it without adding a relay
Thank you. I don't know what the switch does, but I was told if it's off, even with the key on the trike won't start. It would prevent someone from jumping the ignition switch. Anyone know more about this trike switch?
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Interesting about that disable switch in the trunk, is that factory installed ? Use a VOM and check it's terminal(s), I'm thinking that you will find the constant 12 vdc that you are looking for, and right in the place that you need it.
As far as an accessory 12 vdc source, you could come off the power out (right) side of your master relay. That relay should be mounted to the frame to the left of your battery, but accessed from under your trike.
Neither of these locations will effect your trikes electronics, but always add an inline fuse as isolation protection. What John said about accessing the fuse box worked for the older models, but not for our LSx ones.
Speaking of which, I need to start a new topic on this fuse box. Craig H.
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

Thanks Craig.
craig haymaker wrote:Interesting about that disable switch in the trunk, is that factory installed ?

That relay should be mounted to the frame to the left of your battery, but accessed from under your trike.
Yup, that switch was there when I bought it.

So this old, one-legged fat man is going to have to crawl under the scoot? Looks like I better cut back on the barley pop for a while (at least until I can fit under the scoot).
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Now that's funny, err maybe not, lol !
Craig