02 bike suspension problem

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
buyarbi

02 bike suspension problem

Post by buyarbi »

When in a long sweeping curve with any hollows in road my bikes back end will tend to wash out and wallow like a sail boat making it difficult to come out of the turn and have on occasion crossed the center line to hold on to it. I know something has to be done with the shocks and or springs . But what. I am 170 lbs . Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
mmaupin

Re: 02 bike suspension problem

Post by mmaupin »

Have you checked the swing arm bushings?
Regards,

Mark

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Sounds obvious and you may well have checked it but that rear tire is very susceptible to low pressures and I had exactly those symptoms as my tire lost pressure recently - I had 8psi and the tire walls were not sagging noticably!

I'm 170lbs too, I run 8 threads up on the shocks and no clicks and it handles fine with 42psi.

Definitely get it up on axle stands, loosen the lower shock bolts and check play in the swing arm. If they are worn then you may even feel it without loosening the shock bolts.

If you need to change them I have a video on youtube of doing the change. (I didn't make the Oscar nominations though)
Gordon from England
buyarbi

Post by buyarbi »

Appreciate the response guys. My tire is up and swing arm bushings were updated a few thousand miles ago. It has done that for quite a some time but I tend to forget until I ride the bike a little aggressively again. Not near the bike for a while but am shooting out the question to see what resolved any similar problem
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

All my Boss Hoss bikes did that in highway speed corners with bumps...wallowed away and that is why I was a Sunday driver in corners.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
wag

Post by wag »

You need to have your shocks rebuilt.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I tend to agree with Barry, they just seem to move around a bit.

Some other things to check (most of which you already know, but worth repeating for others who may be reading this):
- motor mounts broken, cracked?
- steering neck bearings & races - ever been rebuilt?
- rear spring rate too soft? Have Alden rebuild shocks AND consider new springs with higher weight rating? Alden is great to work with - their service is affordable and quick. Ask to retain your original springs so you can change back if you wish.
- tire pressure is huge. 49 lbs in front. Rear pressure seems to vary greatly. I prefer 30 lbs with stock Avon.
- consider adjusting front forks down several turns & see if that tightens-up the bike in general in the turns.

Good Luck & keep us posted on any progress you gain!

Bill
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content until he had created a vehicle so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
buyarbi

Post by buyarbi »

So Barry are you a speed driver in corners now or have I missed something. :ridding: I stopped by your shop a couple times on my way through but missed you . I think 30 lbs on the rear might flex a bit for me. I will have to take the rear shocks off and have a squeeze. I will check steering neck out . Have never done that.
Last edited by buyarbi on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

buyarbi wrote:So Barry are you a speed driver in corners now or have I missed something. :ridding: I think 30 lbs on the rear might flex a bit for me. I will have to take the rear shocks off and have a squeeze. I will check steering neck out . Have never done that.
Actually faster in corners now with the trike...yes. I NEVER pushed the BH bikes around corners.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham