Group Buy on LS 485 Tune

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Re: Group Buy on LS 485 Tune

Post by CanuckHoss »

WOW...unbelievable silence after saying they have the guy who knows how to do this.
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

CanuckHoss wrote:WOW...unbelievable silence after saying they have the guy who knows how to do this.
I've been fearful to post on this thread ever since I was hollered at for bringing up the idea of a similar LS 300 group buy. I was told my posts were interfering with the LS 485 group buy process. Nonsense. The dude never did apologize.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Brian Macy is finally back at his job, working in the office to stay out of the heat. I talked to him today on the phone. He has been sick from what the docs originally thought was Pneumonia, but turned out being a new medication they had him on. So now he is off all meds and slowly gaining strength and coming back to normal!
Brian said that they are working on a couple of Boss Hossi in their shop now, and that he was more than willing to take on anyone needing their ECM dyno'ed.
His crew has been so busy while Brian has been away, that they couldn't spend half there time on the phone ! As far as an ECM program flash of Craig's LS-485 tune, give him a call, he should now again be available!
Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:Brian Macy is finally back at his job, working in the office to stay out of the heat. I talked to him today on the phone. He has been sick from what the docs originally thought was Pneumonia, but turned out being a new medication they had him on. So now he is off all meds and slowly gaining strength and coming back to normal!
Brian said that they are working on a couple of Boss Hossi in their shop now, and that he was more than willing to take on anyone needing their ECM dyno'ed.
His crew has been so busy while Brian has been away, that they couldn't spend half there time on the phone ! As far as an ECM program flash of Craig's LS-485 tune, give him a call, he should now again be available!
Craig H.
It is unfortunate to say that my customers will not deal with him. Questions left unanswered here and the time frames involved. I know circumstances around things dictated somewhat BUT there are always ways to get to the forum and answer correctly...even late..but no response is not acceptable.

Hopefully our Canadian contact can come through...if we ever find out who he is...fingers crossed
CanuckHoss

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Hopefully Barry, Lyndon will get it right soon. I know that a couple of downloads already sent to BH owners have had glitches ! But I realize also, that the only real way to guarantee a perfect operating program, is to do every individual BH on a Dyno ! It makes more since to go through him, for our Canadian Brothers too ! And Lyndon should be fairly close to you, correct ?
Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:Hopefully Barry, Lyndon will get it right soon. I know that a couple of downloads already sent to BH owners have had glitches ! But I realize also, that the only real way to guarantee a perfect operating program, is to do every individual BH on a Dyno ! It makes more since to go through him, for our Canadian Brothers too ! And Lyndon should be fairly close to you, correct ?
Craig H.
About 2 hours Craig. And about 2 hours from the nearest customer too.
CanuckHoss

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Cool Barry, that is a whole lot more practical than for me, down to Lk. Havasu ! I had called and talked to Lyndon last week, "a very nice and knowledgeable fellow for sure"! Craig H.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

ECM Related - to all LSx BH owners. I have talked about this before, but wanted to bring it up again. With a cold start up, Plug In a Scanner And View Your Live running Data ! In particular, watch your fueling status open - closed loop readings. Is your ECM switching to "closed loop" and taking place in a short period of time ?
I have found that the factory had been sending me ECMs that would not go into closed loop !!
BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Craig, Please provide a little more info on how this is supposed to work. What does the fuel open-closed loop represent? Is it only for cold start? Is it supposed to go into closed loop and stay there? Does this affect how the engine runs? As you can see I am confused which is not that unusual. Thanks for your edification.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

OK...I will keep you guys and gals in the loop now that we have an official start for me with this.

Just received a call today from the Tuner that is 2 hours away and he is anxious to get a bike / trike and dyno tune it. He has programmed a few ECMs already but there are a few issues and he thinks that if he could dyno tune one then the ECM program could possibly be issue free. Won't know until we try some.

AND I then just contacted my customer with an LS3 trike who is also 2 hours away and he is anxious also to get his trike to the Tuner and git-er-done! So we have two parties both in the same frame of mind.

So...there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will keep my fingers crossed and good thoughts that this all comes to a great resolve for every LS3 owner..FINALLY!
CanuckHoss

TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

craig haymaker wrote:Is your ECM switching to "closed loop" and taking place in a short period of time ?
I have found that the factory had been sending me ECMs that would not go into closed loop !!
Craig, sometimes when I'm running interstate speeds for hours and stop at a toll booth (in Park), the idle will not drop to its proper setting. Only seems to happen after hours of hard running. If a hot engine were to go "open loop" would the idle be way too high? Could this be a sensor issue rather than an ECM issue. If the ECM thinks it's dealing with a cold engine, it will send more fuel, right? If it is a sensor failure, any idea which one I should replace? Thanks.
3FOR2

Post by 3FOR2 »

CanuckHoss wrote:AND I then just contacted my customer with an LS3 trike who is also 2 hours away and he is anxious also to get his trike to the Tuner and git-er-done! So we have two parties both in the same frame of mind.

So...there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will keep my fingers crossed and good thoughts that this all comes to a great resolve for every LS3 owner..FINALLY!
Barry,
What's the LS3? 445 or 300? Hot-cam or no?
Pat.
2013 Pickup, LS3-445 with Hot Cam
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

3FOR2 wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:AND I then just contacted my customer with an LS3 trike who is also 2 hours away and he is anxious also to get his trike to the Tuner and git-er-done! So we have two parties both in the same frame of mind.

Barry,
What's the LS3? 445 or 300? Hot-cam or no?
If I remember correctly LS3 and 445...AND I believe hot cam
CanuckHoss

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Bosshossman, very basically these two fueling states are:
OPEN LOOP :
- Is activated during cold start, and is for the most part running on a programmed canned map. During this time the EFI is ignoring some sensors like your O2 signal, but using your MAF, RPM and some others to provide a programmed rich start.
- is activated during WOT acceleration. Sudden WFO throws your ECM into this mode, to use a map programmed for better performance.
- De-acceleration, letting off the throttle at cruising speeds, throws your ECM into this O.L. state. To take your O2 sensors out of the circuit, for one to prevent exhaust popping.
CLOSED LOOP :
- once your heated O2 sensors come up to temp. on cold start, your ECM sees the O2 heaters signal change, and says, ok we can now switch to C.L. and control the fueling through the STFT & LTFT perimeters and many other PIDs. C.L. gives the ECM the ability to adapt to driving changes to give you the optimum running efficiently, and is a "must fueling state" for any vehicle needing to pass the EPA requirements!
Many high performance car owners for racing applications, chose to run Open loop-continually!
As previously stated, I have found that the factory has sent out replacement ECMs that would NOT go into closed loop. I constitute this only to the "interbreeding syndrome" lol !
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

TXscooterguy wrote:
craig haymaker wrote:Is your ECM switching to "closed loop" and taking place in a short period of time ?
Craig, sometimes when I'm running interstate speeds for hours and stop at a toll booth (in Park), the idle will not drop to its proper setting. Only seems to happen after hours of hard running. If a hot engine were to go "open loop" would the idle be way too high? Could this be a sensor issue rather than an ECM issue. If the ECM thinks it's dealing with a cold engine, it will send more fuel, right? If it is a sensor failure, any idea which one I should replace? Thanks.
TXscooterguy, you know, I have spent so much $ and time trying to figure out what the hell caused all of the different runnability issues on my current ride !
I've replaced complete throttle bodies, sensors, APP sensors, and replacement ECMs from the "Idiot Brothers"!
Now as a result of all this, I have studied, read and learned some stuff about our GM EFI system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this GM EFI system, a correct program downloaded into it's ECM, it will be fixed.
In summary, go to Brian and your concerns will be over.
If you are not setting MIL codes, it's your wonderful Boss Hoss factory tune. If you want to keep the trike, just spend the $ to make her run right ! Craig H.
Last edited by craig haymaker on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

CanuckHoss wrote:OK...I will keep you guys and gals in the loop now that we have an official start for me with this.

Just received a call today from the Tuner that is 2 hours away and he is anxious to get a bike / trike and dyno tune it. He has programmed a few ECMs already but there are a few issues and he thinks that if he could dyno tune one then the ECM program could possibly be issue free. Won't know until we try some.

AND I then just contacted my customer with an LS3 trike who is also 2 hours away and he is anxious also to get his trike to the Tuner and git-er-done! So we have two parties both in the same frame of mind.

That will be cool Barry ! Being that Brian has not been responsive to others cries, I hope that this works out for the good and for all !
I had hoped that my original tune last fall with Uncle Brian was going to be the download answer to all other LS-485 owners' But that didn't work !!
Now I pass the torch (LOL) to you Sir, as you said Barry, "Get er done" ! Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

[/quote]

That will be cool Barry ! Being that Brian has not been responsive to others cries, I hope that this works out for the good and for all !
I had hoped that my original tune last fall with Uncle Brian was going to be the download answer to all other LS-485 owners' But that didn't work !!
Now I pass the torch (LOL) to you Sir, as you said Barry, "Get er done" ! Craig H.[/quote]

I can only put the parties together and have them create the solution...wish I could play a bigger roll..also wish I had an LS3 trike to donate for tuning but not the case.

My customer here that will get the trike tuned and dyno'd has already had it somewhat tuned in his home town. They fixed a few other things already other than tuning such as a few bad / faulty grounds...spark plug wires too close to the trike wiring...

Also on that motor and that EFi in a vehicle he told me most spark plug wires are all the same length..like 9 inches to a foot...on a Boss Hoss they are all different lengths...they are trying to remedy that.

Fingers crossed.
CanuckHoss

BossHossMan

Post by BossHossMan »

Craig,
Thanks for explaining the fuel states and how they work.
Tim
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

Barry, PM sent. Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:Barry, PM sent. Craig H.

OK..I don't see it yet..
CanuckHoss

TXscooterguy

Post by TXscooterguy »

craig haymaker wrote:If you are not setting MIL codes, it's your wonderful Boss Hoss factory tune.
Thanks Craig. I'm understanding your comment to mean if a sensor should fail, there would be a check engine light. No check engine light -- leave the sensors alone. Right?
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

FYI Craig...still no PM
CanuckHoss

craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

TXscooterguy wrote:
craig haymaker wrote:If you are not setting MIL codes, it's your wonderful Boss Hoss factory tune.
Thanks Craig. I'm understanding your comment to mean if a sensor should fail, there would be a check engine light. No check engine light -- leave the sensors alone. Right?
Yes Sir, a sensor failure will set a code and turn on your MIL.
craig haymaker

Post by craig haymaker »

CanuckHoss wrote:FYI Craig...still no PM
Ok it's Wednesday AM and I tried it again. There could however be the "not so remote" possibility that I am just too stupid to know how to send a PM, !! :doh:
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:
CanuckHoss wrote:FYI Craig...still no PM
Ok it's Wednesday AM and I tried it again. There could however be the "not so remote" possibility that I am just too stupid to know how to send a PM, !! :doh:
Hmmm...I just sent you one on another matter.....try me email

itsradu@gmail.com

Thanks
CanuckHoss