Help starting an 2002 502

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Larry

Help starting an 2002 502

Post by Larry »

I was riding on Sunday and stoped to fill up with gas and when I went to start it......nothing. I used a screw driver and jumped the starter and it started. I got home and realized it's not the handlebar switch, because I can hear the small selinoid below the fuse block clicking when I push the start button. Any ideas wher I should start looking?
AR

Re: Help starting an 2002 502

Post by AR »

Larry wrote:I was riding on Sunday and stoped to fill up with gas and when I went to start it......nothing. I used a screw driver and jumped the starter and it started. I got home and realized it's not the handlebar switch, because I can hear the small selinoid below the fuse block clicking when I push the start button. Any ideas wher I should start looking?
If you used the screwdriver trick then the + connection is ok...I found my '-' battery terminal loose once that did exactly the same thing. I know its simple but thats me.

Rob.
Tom

Post by Tom »

is the neutral light working?
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Very well could be the starter relay. The one near the fuse block. It's a $9 itemat any auto parts store. I've gone through two already...Joe
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Usually if you can hear or feel the starter relay clicking that means it and the connections to it are working and the problem is in your starter solenoid , starter solenoid connections or the starter motor . If the starter relay is clicking I'd say the problem is your starter solenoid or the connections on the solenoid .

Jack
Larry

Post by Larry »

It was the small square starter relay back by the fuse block. It clicked when I pushed the start button, I had voltage on the input side but nothing on the output side. I changed it and it started right up. Thanks for the help.
AR

Post by AR »

Haha..Joe wins!

we should have a reward system in place for those smartarses that nail the mechanical diagnosis and helps a bro get his bike back on the road. I think something like a can of Jack n' Coke (which is our official drink when we are on tour) complete with 'V8Bikers.net' sticker delivered to the 'smartarses' mailbox :D . Would have to be initiated and sponsored by the beneficary via say a $5 paypal ping and the rebel corporation will do the rest. :!:

watch this space!
AR

Post by AR »

zenbiker wrote:Very well could be the starter relay. The one near the fuse block. It's a $9 itemat any auto parts store. I've gone through two already...Joe
Joe,

I know I've seen your list of improves somewhere but what did you do to your fan to make it black...paint or the unpainted cast black. Jack D did his in a paint finish which looked great of course but I'm looking at all the options.

Thanks,

Rob.
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

Hi Rob
That's my stock black plastic fan that I've had since I bought the bike as a new 2000. Never changed it because it has always worked fine. Are black fans no longer available? I hate that "Plastichrome" junk. I've never seen one that doesn't chip or peel in time especially since it is in the way of all kinds of flying debris...Joe
AR

Post by AR »

ha..didnt know the 2000's had black plastic fan, you learn something everyday and yes an untreated black fan is still available as i was looking at them yesterday.

Thanks.

Rob.