Headlight Modulators

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
hogv8

Re: Headlight Modulators

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , the modulator is all new to me and I'm sure I'll catch some flack from some but I do believe it could be a accident saver or even a life saver . As far as carrying the paper that says it's legal in 50 states I don't know . If a cop is out there patrolling the highway I sure as hell hope he or she knows the traffic laws of their state .

Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Thanks Mike , I will print it . Yes , I bought the Signal Dynamics unit and it seems to work well .

Jack
Els

Post by Els »

Ok guys, I'm one of those grit your teeth types with the modulators. Grrrrrr :evil:

The reason I grit is the same reason you're using. They are VERY visible and in many riding situations, they would have to add a good degree of safety. That's something no one can bitch about. I think about all the old ladies with blue hair, coke bottle glasses, in white 4 door Buicks driving around and it sure makes sense.

Mike, great story about your bike and someone pulling over. I hadn't seen that pic of your bike with the star. I've got to tell you, it's a great paint scheme. Clean and the double take factor is fantastic! It's a real toin coss if I had to pick which I like better. I've always been a big fan of the P-40 Flying Tiger. Your bike is awesome...

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , I was trying to figure a way to install a on or off switch for the Signal Dynamics modulator . It can be turned off by pushing the high beam switch twice within 1 second which is OK I guess but I'd like to have a more positive way of turning it off . I also found a plastic cap to install over the light sensor so it can't flash also but a switch would be better I think . I too only want to use the modulator when I think it's necessary . I've got to study the wiring again . It seems there has to be a way to switch it off and not effect the headlight functions .

Jack
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Mike , the Signal Dynamics unit has to be spliced into ( I soldered mine ) the highbeam , low beam , high/lowbeam button and the horn button . The way it works is it has a light sensor of course that actuates it and it will flash on either highbeam or lowbeam . I can turn it off on either beam by hitting the highbeam or lowbeam switch twice within 1 second and turn it back on the same way . It has 2 speeds of modulation and this can be switched by hitting my horn button twice within 1 second . It also has a ground wire . This is why I'm at a loss as to where I would wire a on off switch to disable the unit without disabling my highbeam , lowbeam , high/lowbeam switch or horn . ?????????????????????????

Hitting the highbeam or lowbeam button twice in 1 second sounds easy but it's not a guaranteed thing that you will get it right every time especially in broad daylight when you can't see what your headlight is doing .

Jack
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

I got busted about 2 years ago for impersonating an officer with this stupid thing...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Ho ... 0/IMID/791

Big yellow Boss Hoss, no flashing headlight, just a headlight with a blue, yellow and red tinge....

Rookie cop...I rode 60,000 miles with that in my Valkyrie and 30,000 miles on my Boss Hoss in police memorial rallies etc and no problem...there's always one f%$#@! pineapple that has to have his way! Anyhow...I quietly waited 45 minutes while someone taught him over the phone to write the ticket. I figured...there were probably 20 other violations on my bike, so I'll be quiet John Q Public and wait with a sheepish smile on my face as he did his thing.

Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

AR

Post by AR »

hosszz4 wrote:..there's always one f%$#@! pineapple that has to have his way!
Hey Guru,

whats with the swear filter on Aldo's post?? f%$#@ing gay is all i can say. :twisted: