Coolant

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
AR

Coolant

Post by AR »

Coolant...

Red or green and why...got any advice?

They all seem to say the same thing on the label. Antifreeze properties is definitely not a concern for me around these parts, preservation of aluminium and water pump parts probably my main concern.

Thanks.
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: Coolant

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Rob,

I have the water wetter (after market additive for extra cooling and turns the antifreeze red), and when i put it in i put 8 bottles in,,, At the time i thought,,, well i don't know what i thought maybe some is good,,,, more is better, as it only calls for one bottle in the system. Anyway it's still in for now, as i was experimenting with stock vs. thermostat and trying to reduce heat or trying to get to optimum operating temperature. personally when i get a chance, i am going to flush the entire system and reinstall straight antifreeze. I got the following info from the V8 bikers site regarding radiator flush intervals:

"According to the radiator shop they told me due to the Aluminum radiator, the fluid should be changed every year. The ph changes and will make the radiator "rot-out" I am planning to try to change mine more. Maybe once every 2 years. You could always check with litmus paper."

Hope my inability to folllow directions has helped, if not, maybe the quote from the other site has.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
AR

Post by AR »

Haha Daryl I love it when people can't be told anything. You must be a rebel!

I was using straight green coolant since I got my machine and about 2 years ago I got a hole in the radiator probably due to the fan mounts rubbing. Barrs leak additive fixed that ok I don't think the rad has corroded from the inside. I dropped the coolant a few weeks ago and have been running straight water thinking I was flushing it out. Truth is I've been a bit lazy cause no matter what I do or don't for maintenance the bike performs flawlessly but out of
guilt i will fix it up tomorrow.thanks for your more must be better admission it makes me feel better ;-)
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Rob,

Southern (Rebel) by the grace of god. I have never used Barr's. I have been hesitant. I will in the future and have in the past have used "Fine Ground Black Pepper" from the supermarket. It is fine enough NOT to clog anything in the motor. As it is going out the leak,,, it solidifies in the hole and stops the leak. I had it permanantly fix the leak in my old trans am. and this is ALWAYS available if a store is available.

Where abouts in Australia are you? I have been to Darwin on business. We stayed in Darwin one day going to East Timor and 3 days coming from E.T. Went to Litchefield NAtional park and went on a jumping crocodile cruise on the Adelaide river. Went to one place and they had a stuffed crocodile head,, have you ever looked inside the back of a crocodiles mouth? It looks like a woman's kitty cat. So i guess if you ever get eaten by a crocodile the last thing you see is Pus,, :D :D :D By the way,,, i did get a picture of it :shock: 8-) so i can prove it.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
AR

Post by AR »

gaston 2005 502 wrote:Rob,

Southern (Rebel) by the grace of god.
I remember your black pepper post it was right next to someones egg trick and I thought the foodstuff leak fix solutions were a bit funny but as my wife says in times of need its whatever gets you by. Think I'll stick with the green as Wildman is my hero and knows everything. :roll:

I Been lots of places around Aust but never been to Darwin. I'm located in Sydney and we dont get too many Crocs down here. Yes that last gasp 'pussy pic' would make a great addition to the reknowned V8Bikers picture library :lol:

Rob.

Ps; Southern Rebel huh, looks like you need a sticker for your truck. PM me your mailing address Darryl 8-)
gaston 2005 502

Wildman and Rob,

I know of the issues stated with the dex-cool and i am staying away. Do either of you know of any issues with the water wetter? If so please inform me, as currently removal is on the back burner,,, but it is about time in 4 or 5 months for the one year since my delivery,,, unsure if it was changed during the 2 years and 2700 miles that Rodger @ lima Auto Mall rode it. I'll try to post the Croc mouth pic's and you tell me if I'm right or just Ignorant.

Notice in the back of the mouth in above picture

Am i right (about this) or just ignorant (about this),,, IMHO if you ever get eaten alive by a crocodile, the last thing your gonna see is Pussy!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From my understanding this item is part of their desalinazation of salt water organ,
Darryl
Darryl Campbell
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

Yes, I have seen problems which I can usually trace to a system that has had longterm leaks and not been properly maintained. I would not argue with anyone that chooses not to use dexcool, but personally all vehicles I own that came with dexcool have it in them now including my bike.

Shane
AR

Post by AR »

Haha...I seen one once before and thats a pussy man :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Pussy Hunter.JPG
Pussy Hunter.JPG (7.23 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
AR

Post by AR »

Ok I changed my coolant back to good ol' green and keeping my earlier experiences in mind I made a nifty little coolant shield out of a pop bottle so firstly my alternator and secondly my face werent sprayed and damaged.

You might want to do the same.

Aussie 'full of ideas' Rob
Attachments
000_3412.jpg
000_3410.jpg
AR

Post by AR »

No... I never went Orange. I was green, went to water, asked a genuine technical query about the benefits if any of Orange...you told me I was an idiot for thinking about orange and needed rooting, as a result I then put green back in.

No problem. :|
okie

Post by okie »

My Dodge truck has had the orange color in for 5 years no problems.The new orange stuff for sale at the auto parts says mixes with all others,it is not Dexcool brand though,but is extended life with corrosion inhibitors.I do not run in the Hoss but might give it a try in the spring.What do you think?