Slow running

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Steve Taylor

Slow running

Post by Steve Taylor »

What is the lowest speed you can expect? My Kannon doesn't want to go much under 20mph. The tickover seems too fast. Tried the screw on the rotary actuator the cables fit into, but it didn't make any difference. Any advice please? When it's in drive, it wants to keep going, you have to hold it on the brakes at times :shock:
I went for a 100 mile ride today, still snow at the side of the roads in places, but I still can't stop smiling, what a great bike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Els

Re: Slow running

Post by Els »

Steve Taylor wrote:What is the lowest speed you can expect? My Kannon doesn't want to go much under 20mph. The tickover seems too fast. Tried the screw on the rotary actuator the cables fit into, but it didn't make any difference. Any advice please? When it's in drive, it wants to keep going, you have to hold it on the brakes at times :shock:
I went for a 100 mile ride today, still snow at the side of the roads in places, but I still can't stop smiling, what a great bike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve, first question would be; "what is your rpm at idle?" If you're idling at 1,200 vs 800 as an example, it would make a substantial difference.

Second issue would be which converter is in the bike. Depending on stall speed, it can make a big difference how it pulls while at a stop.

Last but most unlikely would be gearing. Perhaps some of the guys more familiar with Kannons such as Tom or Jimbo would know if different gearing was used on various bikes.

Elliot
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Thanks Elliot, I'll have to fit a rev counter. It seems to idle a bit fast even though the tickover screw is right out?
Els

Post by Els »

Steve Taylor wrote:Thanks Elliot, I'll have to fit a rev counter. It seems to idle a bit fast even though the tickover screw is right out?

Steve, I'm having to chuckle a bit at the thought of using the site's Google translator albeit we both speak "English", ha ha :shock:

A bit of a gap in terminology from one side of the pond to the other. Fitting a "rev counter" I suspect you're referring to tachometer. Yes, it's a great idea as it's a great tool for numerous reasons. Some also look very cool 8-) . As far as at idle rpm's, you can also do it seat of the pants by ear and should be in the 800 rpm range +/- depending on how your bike's cammed. You also are only going to be able to drop the rpm so far adjusting the throttle cable. I'm not exactly sure what "tickover screw" is. I'm also unsure of which carb you have but for most idle/rpm adjustments, it would be best accomplished at the idle adjustment screw on your carb. If you're unsure which screw this may be, trace your throttle cable back to where it attaches at the carb and it will become obvious.

It is unusual for your bike to idle along at 20 mph (or is it kph?). It is not unusual for you to have to use your brake at a stop as most of the V8's will creep mostly due to converter reasons.

Els
Image Image Image
Tom

Post by Tom »

Morning guys... Steve.. My Kannon had a holley on it. Yours should be the same and if so you have two idle adjust screws. One is on the primary side and you can adjust it with the carb on the bike. The other is on the secondary side and is on the bottom side of the base plate.
AR

Post by AR »

W1LDMAN wrote:Steve, just a thought here and Tom and Els can set me straight if I'm wrong but you might want to reach under and see that there is no "pull" on the throttle linkage as well. The bikes will roll faster and faster as you go at idle but really shouldn't be doing 20 mph with no throttle. If the throttle linkage is at full "off" then back to the idle adjustments. WM 8-)

What does Honker say? You can look but no laughing? Here's a couple shots of my "rev counter" setup with nitrous pressure and fuel pressure indicators all electric from Marvelous Marv at choppercity.com and also of me wild giggle gas setup. You'll either love it or hate it. :twisted:

Man i just love the stainless tek-screw of the mount plates into the tank WM...that was radical shit back then but I hear the Euro's have followed your lead 8-)
Els

Post by Els »

Mike, that is a wild ass setup! Fantastic! 8-)

Els
Image Image Image
Els

Post by Els »

WM,

Nitrous is a funny thing. I know a number of guys who have it on their bikes and it's not even hooked up. They have it for the eww and ahhh factor I guess. I've seen everything from young kids to old timers who walk up and do the; "whoa, it's got NOS!" exclamation.

Even the motor heads and hot rodders get blown away by it knowing they're seeing a 2 wheeler with a V8 motor...which unto itself is a pretty awe inspiring site. Many have asked me and I'm sure you and others; "you really need that?", ha ha :shock: .

Your setup sure puts it in their face...and yours. Unlike mine, you have no problem reaching the bottles to crack them open :lol: .

Yep, love the juice 8-)

Els
Image Image Image
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

I love that Nos setup, but mind you don't leave your balls behind if you slide up the tank :o
My throttle cables are free and the idle screw is backed right off, on the left side. Where is the other screw please Tom? The bike seems to idle a bit fast, but cuts out at times in traffic :x
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:You'll either love it or hate it. :twisted:

Mike,
you know that I have never been a friend of much gauges, but...man, your setup is nice!!! And your bike looks faster than mine just standing there with engine off!!! Really cool!! I love the bottles as well!!

Loaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Steve Taylor wrote:I love that Nos setup, but mind you don't leave your balls behind if you slide up the tank :o
My throttle cables are free and the idle screw is backed right off, on the left side. Where is the other screw please Tom? The bike seems to idle a bit fast, but cuts out at times in traffic :x
Steve, be sure to adjust only the idle adjustment screw, not the idle mixture screw(s)!! There are two idle mixture screws, which you shouldn't touch at all unless you want to fine tune your carb. There is only one idle adjustment screw which acts like a "stop screw" against the throttle lever, this is the only one you should use to bring your RPMs down.

Loaf
Tom

Post by Tom »

Steve... The right side (secondary plate) adjust screw is accessed from the bottom side of the base plate. You have to take the carb off and turn it over to see it. You might have some worn throttle shafts. With the engine running.. push the throttle linkage closed and see if your idle drops. Could also be the secondary side hanging up so push that one closed as well.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Steve,
I have been a member for 10 years on several V8 boards, and have read many questions over and over again. Many discussions about "how fast, top speed, quarter mile times?" But this is the first time ever someone asked how slow can your bike go...hehehehe....that was just a funny sidenote... :lol: :lol:

It depends on idle speed, gearing of the bike, stall speed of the converter, like other's said before. I have never tried how slow I could go in idle without pulling the brakes, but my guess would be 10 to 15 mph on my single speed 99 Boss Hoss, and a little less on my 07 SS Boss (it's different geared and has a smaller in diameter tire).

Loaf
sharp1

Post by sharp1 »

could it be the fast idle on the choke?