18" Wheels

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Steve Taylor

18" Wheels

Post by Steve Taylor »

What tyre is normally used on an 18" front? I've checked the load rating and the 18's are way lower than the 16's :shock:
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: 18" Wheels

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Steve,

i got my bike with a Metzeler brand ME 880 MARATHON 130/70/B18 M/C 63H. the tire cupped pretty good before i changed it but i use alot of front brake. i know the load rating is under,,, but other than the cupping, i had no issue. next i went to a METZELER ME 880 Marathon Front 140/70/18 MC 67H, this also is under rated for the weight,, next i am going to a rear tire mounted in opposite direction as recommended by other site members instruction as i am not extremely comfortable of using tires under rated for the weight of the hoss. Personally i had a hard time of finding anything rated for the weight or near it and had to settle for something reasonably close.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

I'm toying with using 17" wheels on mine as I can fit the Valkerie front 150 80x17, load rating 72 and tha 300 40x17 rear, both these tyres have a reasonable sidewall so should suit the look of the bike? The 17" 300 rears are available cheaply as they didn't sell well so should be ideal for owners like Crazy Rick ;)
Els

Post by Els »

I personally think a 17 would look better than the 18 although I've never seen one. Never have been a huge fan of little to no sidewall on a bike tire. Also wonder how much cushioning comes from a larger sidewall? The 18" tires have so little sidewall it appears there would be little if any shock absorbtion through the tire.

I probably don't have much choice with the chopper as the fender very closely hugs the tire. I wouldn't change that for anything as it gives the appearance of a much bigger tire and better fit.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
AR

Post by AR »

Els wrote: Never have been a huge fan of little to no sidewall on a bike tire. Also wonder how much cushioning comes from a larger sidewall? The 18" tires have so little sidewall it appears there would be little if any shock absorbtion through the tire.
Els
I agree with the 'elastic band' look of the low profile tyres, even on cars they look gay. Give me the Big-O look anyday 8-) , and I recall the boss hoss factory attributed the no shock absorbs of the 18" setups for frame failures.

AF.