Nesco crap.... shit!!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Tom

Nesco crap.... shit!!

Post by Tom »

While in Laughlin last weekend I played too hard and slipped my 2nd gear clutch pretty bad at 120 or so... So... with the upcoming trip to Oklahoma I thought it best to go ahead and pull it and put a set of clutches in it. I have the 08 upgrades including the left side cover which moves the bearing under the pulley to eliminate the shaft flexing problems... With the updated pulley set up the hub that holds the drive pulley on is moved outward closer to the frame. When all is together the bolts that hold the hub on are about 1/8 inch from the frame down tube. We found that the bolts had actually been hitting the down tube which means the shaft is flexing a full 1/8 inch. It was hard to believe but it was obvious that is what was happening. We took it apart and foung the output shaft twisted as well... Same old story. We put it back together today and put a dial indicator on the pulley while setting the belt tension.. Sure enough... .012 flex at 500 pounds. By the evidence of the bolts hitting the frame... 1/8 inch under full power. We replaced the bolts with allen head bolts to eliminate that part but are now back to the drawing board on the shaft flexing issue.. Me and a lot of other people have paid upwards of 700 dollars for this high tech upgrade that does nothing at all. I will give the factory credit for the improvments to the planetary and sun gear but as far as I am concerned this bearing placement upgrade is worthless... I am a little put out at the results here and really wonder if there was any testing done at all to verify this would actually take care of the problem. There are and have been better ideas out there and I intend to look into them...
AR

Re: Nesco crap.... shit!!

Post by AR »

Hey Tom,
Please dont shoot the messenger...I only ever do what i'm told.

You can tell Tom that the photo shows that the pulley is'nt done up properly,it has to go on
all the way.I can see a gap and I've had the same problem.I run them
on the lathe and give the taper a quick linish which takes off about 3
thou. and then use HT bolts to tighten and then remove them and fit button
head allen key bolts.That fixes the clearance issues and moves the
bolt heads away from the frame.

:roll:
Tom

Re: Nesco crap.... shit!!

Post by Tom »

Thanks Aussie.. That is what I did but it still don`t change the fact that the shaft flexes the same as with the old set up.... We are working on an internal bearing set up to run on the shaft. Mountian came up with the idea but dropped it when the "new improved" side cover set up came out. Basically it is a sleeve on the output shaft and a bearing inside the input ring gear. That will give internal support and for sure eliminate the flexing issue.