Reliable fan switches

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: Reliable fan switches

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Mike,

is Bill buying these switches at Auto Zone? :o

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Good find!!! I do also like that they are available in aluminum polished finish, since the stock brass temp switches become dark green from patina very soon.

Saved that site to my favorites!

Thanks,
Olaf
Big John

Post by Big John »

I have a couple still in the box, somewhere.
I finally plugged the hole and put a double pole double throw switch in the middle of the dash. Most of the time it stays in the "OFF" position.
Sure is quiet that way, and all the problems are solved.
You will know when the bike gets hot.
John
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

It never ceases to amaze me the way we have such different experiences with the same product. My NAPA FS-120 fan switch has been in for seven years and 40K miles without any problem. Luck of the draw, I guess.
I do like John's idea but just don't zone out in hot weather and forget to look at the temp gauge...Joe
Big John

Post by Big John »

zenbiker wrote:It never ceases to amaze me the way we have such different experiences with the same product. My NAPA FS-120 fan switch has been in for seven years and 40K miles without any problem. Luck of the draw, I guess.
I do like John's idea but just don't zone out in hot weather and forget to look at the temp gauge...Joe
Check it out, Zen, the bike won't let you forget, and you won't have it heating up on you. I've had mine this way quite awhile.
I use a 160 degree thermostat, drill a 1/8" hole in the rim for air bubbles and pre-warm up circulation, which will warm you up a bit faster. The two-way switch on the dash is nice. In Summer, at a light, you turn it on pushing forward. The thing I forget is to turn it off once I get going, when I'm distracted by traffic.
I get down the road aways and see it, if that happens, so, not to worry. In Winter, I blow it back on me, all the time, if it's cold and I'm in slow traffic. I then have a heater. Most of the time, in mild weather, however, it stays off. I don't hear the damn thing, and less wear on it, as well.
You can put this option on, in conjunction with your thermo-switch, and use them together. I did that till the last switch started running all the time, and just took it off. Last time I had the motor out, I just plugged the hole. Haven't missed that troublesome part of the bike, since!
John
Els

Post by Els »

My switch is more reliable than any of the above. I don't have one. I too had numerous failures and didn't realize it 'til there was a pretty good overheat. Tried it manually but would forget. My current bike is just constant on and the worry is gone. I know some have suggested it's too uncomfortable for the rider that way and perhaps with the 502 it is. With a small block, I think it's the way to go.

I have eliminated as much "wire" as possible. Mechanical fuel pump, no fan switch, no electric valve for a fuel shut off, etc. I'm a believer in the "if it has tits, tires, or wires, it's going to give you trouble." :lol:

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Els

Post by Els »

WM,

You bring up a good point because the same holds true here in the NC mountains with me. Having rode in SW Florida all those years, it was never a question...the fan was always going to run, especially with the 502.

I have a big Autometer gauge and it rarely gets to 180 although that's with the fan constantly running. When it's hot here (80's) and I'm going uphill which is about 50% of the time since nothing's level, I will occasionally see 185. With cooler temps and not gassing it up the mountains, it's hard to see above 165.

When riding in Florida and considering the way we ride, it doesn't hurt a bit for always on but may not make sense in other scenarios.

I just hate overheating and have had not so good luck with the switches which makes me a proponent of always on.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Big John

manual fan switch

Post by Big John »

The problem with having it on all the time is that
you can't turn it off at all.
You might want to have it off when you're working on
the bike, etc. I think at least an on/off switch is in order.
I would think that choppers run cool because they have
a nice big radiator and plenty of air flow around the motor.
Is anyone using water-wetter?
This will add to your cooling, significantly, while not making it run cold. I've been using it, and like it.
A catch can is a must for keeping the air out of the system and true temp readings, as well as reducing maintanence.
Most know all this, just thought I'd mention it, for those who do not.
Anyhow, I feel that my method is a very good one, with a lot of miles of success and riding comfort.
Quiet and cool.
Like me!
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Bill Van Sant reports that he has not been having good luck with the NAPA FS-120 fan switches. He has replaced 4 of them and is finding the on / off temps vary greatly. This link is to a fan switch that I used before NAPA was selling their unit and I have had good luck with them. Seems the man that makes them will stand behind them if there is any problems also. Thought it might be of interest to you and hope it helps somebody. WM

http://www.hotronicsproducts.com/store/ ... ucts_id=27

"For V8 Bikers by V8 Bikers"
WM, I would like to order one of those nice polished 195 F switches from Hotronicsproducts. I found my fan coming on too often and way too early. Can you tell me the thread size in our manifolds? Is it 1/2" or 3/8"? It's hard to see or measure with the tank installed.

Thanks,
Loaf
Tom

Post by Tom »

I`m pretty sure it`s 3/8.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:dangit loaf i forgot to check today but will tomorrow. i have a hot tronics one here i can measure.

Damn man I LOVE the sig picture!!! Very cool!!
Thought I would change the sig picture from time to time like you use to do. This is the first one, more to follow.

Loafster
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Tom wrote:I`m pretty sure it`s 3/8.
Thanks a lot, Tom. My bet was on the 1/2", so it's good that I didn't ordered it yet and asked first. Will order the 3/8" tomorrow! :-)

Thanks,
Loaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

WM, your picture helped a lot!! I can see from the diameter that it is a 1/2"-14 NPT thread. The diameter of NPT threads is always much bigger than the given size. The diameter of your fan switch in the pic is 7/8" or 22,25mm, which is exactly 1/2" NPT. Tom might have right, too, cause the fan switch on the 502 bikes might be different. I do also remeber, when I changed the stock fan switch on my 99 bike to a 195F unit from Painless Wiring, I had to use a brass adapter between the fan switch and the manifold cause the thread of the Painless Wiring switch was smaller than the stock switch- might have been a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter. But the thread in the small block manifold is a 1/2"-14

Again, thanks for the pics! They helped a lot!

Loaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Loaf, I am surprised that you being the master V8Biker that you are that you aren't going with the Dakota Digital adjustable unit. What is your opinion of those units? I think Jack D. is using one.
Wildman,
you are talking about the PAC-2000, right? I know some people use it, and I like it a lot. But I think the small polished fan switch from HotRodTronics is all I need. I don't ask a lot from the switch, just that the fan comes less often on, and if the 195F switch does this, then I'm more than satisfied :-)

Anyway, nice unit what Dakota offers!
Loaf

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Loaf, I am surprised that you being the master V8Biker that you are that you aren't going with the Dakota Digital adjustable unit. What is your opinion of those units? I think Jack D. is using one.

No , I don't have this unit . I simply have a Summit switch on at 205 off at 185 and a bypass switch . Work great for me . I think Don Blitz has the adjustable switch .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:

No , I don't have this unit . I simply have a Summit switch on at 205 off at 185 and a bypass switch . Work great for me . I think Don Blitz has the adjustable switch .

Jack
Jack, what do you think about your 205 on switch? I ask because I'm not sure what temp range to buy. HotRodTronics sells a "195 on" and a "210 on".

Jeff Hemperly has a Dakota adjustable switch and put some in other's bikes. He swears on it. I just don't want to have more electronic in my bike than there already is, therfore I prefere a simple switch.

Thanks,
Loaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , I like the switch on at 205 off at 185 because with a 160 thermostat my bike runs at about 175-180 degrees all the time unless sitting in traffic of course the temp goes up . If the fan didn't shut off until 180 there's a good chance once it turned on it would stay on much longer trying to cool the temp down to 180 or below .

I said in a previous post that I bought 4 switches and tested them all on the stove with a water thermometer before I found one that turned on at exactly 205 and off at 185 . All the others varied anywhere from 5-10 degrees as far as turning on and off . My set up works perfectly to my liking now .

Jack
Tom

Post by Tom »

I have the same set up and it`s perfect.
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

I run the same switch, on at 205, off at 180. Also have a fan on/off switch so when I'm ata light and it starts to creep past 180, I turn the fan on to cool it off until I get going again.

Cheers
Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

I got my switch today!!! Real nice piece of work!! Alu billet, show polished, switch only, not the complete kit.

I choosed the 195on switch, cause they offer 210 and 195 - no 205, and 210 seemed a little too much for me.

Can't wait to install it!!!!!

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

I installed the Hotronic switch today along with fresh "BASF Protect+" coolant for aluminum radiators. The switch turns the fan on at 198F which is perfect. The small, polished switch does also look so much better than the stock brass switch. It has a flat top, unlike the stock unit which collects water and debris because of the dish top shape .

It's not cheap, but if it doesn't fail, then I will install nothing else as long as I have a Boss Hoss.

Loaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Bill Van Sant reports that he has not been having good luck with the NAPA FS-120 fan switches. He has replaced 4 of them and is finding the on / off temps vary greatly. This link is to a fan switch that I used before NAPA was selling their unit and I have had good luck with them. Seems the man that makes them will stand behind them if there is any problems also. Thought it might be of interest to you and hope it helps somebody. WM

http://www.hotronicsproducts.com/store/ ... ucts_id=27
WM,
seems like Hotronics is out of business???? His website is down since months.

Damn, I really love his polished aluminum fan switch and would like to have a spare. It's such a nice and high quality unit. Do you have an email contact from him?

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Loaf, I haven't given up yet. I put in a call to Hotronics and left a message. I think I remember this process the last time we ordered. Will let you knowif they are still available as soon as I hear back from them. WM
WM,
that's very kind of you, thanks a lot. I hope they are still available and also hope that nothing bad happened to the owner, cause I remember from the email contact, that he was a real friendly and helpful guy.

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

W1LDMAN wrote:Olaf, I talked to Greg from Hotronics! He laughs at all the silly ways they have tried to control temperature fan switches and I told him of the FS-120 that holds water on the terminals. (I know you can trim that off) He has plenty of switches in stock and we just need to verify 1/2 npt 190 on is right? I told him not only have I purchased these for myself I told him there is also a hard core motorhead in Germany that's a big fan also. He was happy to hear of it. WM

http://hotronicsproducts.com/product_in ... ucts_id=27
WM,
thanks for helping me again, brother. Good to hear that Greg is doing fine. You never know.

Mine is a 195on - polished finish - 1/2" NPT

It was the the cheaper option "sender only" (not the kit including relay and wiring)

Do you have an email addy from him? His site still says this, no matter what I do:

"Forbidden - You don't have permission to access on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Thanks for helping,
Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

Way up north here, my fan switch kicks in at 180, and off at 150. I have the option to leave the switch off, as Barry wired in a water tight toggle switch within reach, to shut off the fan if need be.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada